Jimmerm78
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
can someone please give me some structural techniques that are quite complex please with their definitions, I don’t know many and I feel like it’s stopping me from getting a grade 8 in my language exam, I use stuff like sentence length, punctuation etc however I don’t know some of the more complex techniques, any help would be appreciated, thanks for reading 😁
skittish
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Avoid making generalised statements about sentence or paragraph length, which do not garner marks. Instead, look at the organisation of the passage and note specific contrasts or moments of change. Look out for free indirect discourse, a sentence with a dash, or moments of repetition.

In particular, shifting tenses and narrative techniques are always key. Try to look at sentence length too, and the impact that it has on the pace/suspense in the passage. Good luck!
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
though knowing your terminology is important, do make sure your analysis of techniques is also thorough and well considered.
Deggs_14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You don’t acquire really any marks for naming the technique, you need to explain how the author has used it and the meanings, effects and connotations of the technique used.
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by skittish)
Avoid making generalised statements about sentence or paragraph length, which do not garner marks.
From past experience, they can gain some credit, but the overall point has to be very good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (270)
15.54%
Uncertainty around my education (273)
15.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
10.01%
Isolating with family (122)
7.02%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.49%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (145)
8.34%
Loneliness (172)
9.9%
Financial worries (68)
3.91%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (158)
9.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (154)
8.86%

Watched Threads