Self-isolation

Watch
BGoslett
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

I’m in year 13 and I’m currently suffering cold like symptoms, they’re very mild and I usually wouldn’t worry at all about this, but, with the lack of testing kits for covid19 I have no way of knowing if it is a common cold (most likely) or if it’s the virus. I don’t want to self-isolate as I’m only a few weeks from exams and need all the lesson time I can get and with nothing in place from the government, exam boards, or schools to help me whilst I self isolate, then I become less inclined to...
What should I do? Self isolate and risk losing out on very valuable lesson time, or go to school and risk spreading whatever it is I have?
Last edited by Jack22031994; 6 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 6 months ago
If your really concerned call 111 and ask for further advice but with this virus going round and spreading easily make sure u haven’t got the virus its unlikely u have as u only have mild symptoms but as your still in school you dont want to be spreading anything. Get better soon
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you have a new cough or fever, you are required to isolate for 7 days. The advice is plain and simple. No exceptions, no maybes. This is a pandemic. The severity of the symptoms do not matter when it comes to self isolating.

A sniffle is not a fever or a new cough. A runny nose is not a fever or a cough. I don’t understand the confusion.

Only call 111 if you feel very unwell or your fevers or cough lasts more than 7 days.
Last edited by Etomidate; 6 months ago
BGoslett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Etomidate)
If you have a new cough or fever, you are required to isolate for 7 days. The advice is plain and simple. No exceptions, no maybes. This is a pandemic. The severity of the symptoms do not matter when it comes to self isolating.

A sniffle is not a fever or a new cough. A runny nose is not a fever or a cough. I don’t understand the confusion.

Only call 111 if you feel very unwell or your fevers or cough lasts more than 7 days.
My guy, there’s no confusion here apart from you getting confused with the question. I have 2 teaching weeks left of school and still haven’t finished my curriculum, I have a few new symptoms but don’t want to self isolate for 14 days (it’s 7 if you live alone) as I need to stay in school to learn
ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by BGoslett)
My guy, there’s no confusion here apart from you getting confused with the question. I have 2 teaching weeks left of school and still haven’t finished my curriculum, I have a few new symptoms but don’t want to self isolate for 14 days (it’s 7 if you live alone) as I need to stay in school to learn
Dude your school work, I'm sorry, to say is very secondary to the risk of you passing on the virus to someone (potentially to someone old or with underlying health conditions). Get over yourself and self isolate for 7 days if you have even one of the potential symptoms. Eitherway, at Y11, at this stage you should be old enough to self study.
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
The pandemic doesn’t care about your curriculum. Self isolate if you have a new cough or fever.
Last edited by Etomidate; 6 months ago
BGoslett
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANO-NI-MUS)
Dude your school work, I'm sorry, to say is very secondary to the risk of you passing on the virus to someone (potentially to someone old or with underlying health conditions). Get over yourself and self isolate for 7 days if you have even one of the potential symptoms. Eitherway, at Y11, at this stage you should be old enough to self study.
Year13*. It’s not the fact that I can’t self study, it’s that I don’t want to be missing lessons as they can teach me better than I can teach myself, besides, due to the lack of testing kits I’m unable to find out if I have the virus (unlikely) or if I’m just Ill (most likely).
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Year13*. It’s not the fact that I can’t self study, it’s that I don’t want to be missing lessons as they can teach me better than I can teach myself, besides, due to the lack of testing kits I’m unable to find out if I have the virus (unlikely) or if I’m just Ill (most likely).
The whole world is currently being disrupted. The fact that you cannot attend lessons is so vastly insignificant with what is going on around you.

It doesn’t matter if you cannot be tested. You need to isolate for 7 days from the start of your cough or fever. It doesn’t matter if these are mild symptoms, you still have the potential to have the virus and spread it to people who it may kill.

Open your eyes and gain some perspective.
BGoslett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Etomidate)
The whole world is currently being disrupted. The fact that you cannot attend lessons is so vastly insignificant with what is going on around you.

It doesn’t matter if you cannot be tested. You need to isolate for 7 days from the start of your cough or fever. It doesn’t matter if these are mild symptoms, you still have the potential to have the virus and spread it to people who it may kill.

Open your eyes and gain some perspective.
Bruh I’m not ruining my future because some donny doesn’t wanna get flu
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Bruh I’m not ruining my future because some donny doesn’t wanna get flu
So why are you bothering with this thread if you've already decided to ignore the advice being given to you, other than to troll?
Cloudiii
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Self isolate. I’m currently in self isolation in the same year as you, it’s not too bad. My teachers send me work via email so it’s easy to keep up if you put the effort in.
BGoslett
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cloudiii)
Self isolate. I’m currently in self isolation in the same year as you, it’s not too bad. My teachers send me work via email so it’s easy to keep up if you put the effort in.
Sadly that’s the problem with my school, very unorganised so I probably wouldn’t get my work sent to me
ANO-NI-MUS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Sadly that’s the problem with my school, very unorganised so I probably wouldn’t get my work sent to me
You sound inconsiderate. The virus can be extremely dangerous for some people and it's not a flu, it doesn't take beyond Italy to see that. "Ruin my future"....if you can't do well in your exam without a teacher teaching you a bit of the curriculum then I'm sorry to say your future is already ruined.
From this thread you sound immature, stupid and plain self centre.
ANO-NI-MUS
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Again, self isolate. Get over yourself. "Some Donny doesn't wanna get the flue", please look at Italy and learn. What if one of your classmates, teachers or literally anyone you have contact with has asthma, a compromised immune system or whatever. Isolate. 7 days won't do much harm. Use it to study at home. You should be able to teach yourself some of the curriculum.
BGoslett
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANO-NI-MUS)
Again, self isolate. Get over yourself. "Some Donny doesn't wanna get the flue", please look at Italy and learn. What if one of your classmates, teachers or literally anyone you have contact with has asthma, a compromised immune system or whatever. Isolate. 7 days won't do much harm. Use it to study at home. You should be able to teach yourself some of the curriculum.
Nah cause by the time I’d be going back to school schools will inevitably close.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Nah cause by the time I’d be going back to school schools will inevitably close.
You're going to struggle at uni if you can't self-teach now, assuming thats your plan.
A lot of it is independent, its good to try and learn yourself, plus I assume you've already finished the course so what more can teachers do other than give you practice questions/papers etc (which you can find online)
Don't be selfish and just isolate, on the grand scale of things, your exams are pretty insignificant compared to the other problems we are going to face
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (28)
32.56%
Less motivated (58)
67.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed