The Student Room Group

My family wants me to stop going to the gym

My family wants me to stop going to the gym due to this virus and I think that they're being double standard and over the top. They're asking me to stop going to the gym, so in return I asked them if they were quitting their jobs / not going in to which they said no, so then I said well what's the difference, both give public exposure, work even more as you're out from 9-5 and they didn't have an answer.

I don't work because becoming an athlete is a goal of mine, I've saved up a lot of money for it and now they want me to put all of that to an end. But can someone tell me the damn difference in public exposure in working and going to the gym? because I can't see one.

I understand they have to work to keep a float, but it's the same with me going to the gym, my job is to be an athlete, something which they are not understanding. If I stop going to the gym I will lose the fitness I've obtained within the past year and with my age, this is really my last chance.

I really think it's OTT that they want me to give up the gym all together, opinions?
(edited 4 years ago)
Can't you do exercise without a gym?
Original post by DiddyDec
Can't you do exercise without a gym?

I can go for runs etc, but how am I to build muscle? And not only that but my legs would get seriously damaged if I am to be a road runner only, treadmill runs are smoother and needed. I also wouldn't be able to participate in any sparring, which would lose me most of my fitness.
Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb
My family wants me to stop going to the gym due to this virus and I think that they're being double standard and over the top. They're asking me to stop going to the gym, so in return I asked them if they were quitting their jobs / not going in to which they said no, so then I said well what's the difference, both give public exposure, work even more as you're out from 9-5 and they didn't have an answer.

I don't work because becoming an athlete is a goal of mine, I've saved up a lot of money for it and now they want me to put all of that to an end. But can someone tell me the damn difference in public exposure in working and going to the gym? because I can't see one.

I understand they have to work to keep a float, but it's the same with me going to the gym, my job is to be an athlete, something which they are not understanding. If I stop going to the gym I will lose the fitness I've obtained within the past year and with my age, this is really my last chance.

I really think it's OTT that they want me to give up the gym all together, opinions?

go to the gym if that’s what you want, just make sure to wash your hands or sanitize after using equipment and maybe don’t use the water fountain there if your gym has one. i’ve heard news that gyms will be closing anyways the gym next to me has froze all the member ships and closed down all activities
Original post by SilenceOfTheLamb
I can go for runs etc, but how am I to build muscle? And not only that but my legs would get seriously damaged if I am to be a road runner only, treadmill runs are smoother and needed. I also wouldn't be able to participate in any sparring, which would lose me most of my fitness.

If running on the road is damaging you then you are doing something wrong.
I understand both why they want to stop you going to the gym and also why it's frustrating for you but the issue with telling people to take time off work is what happens when they're not earning a wage? Who pays the bills, mortgage, rent? Sick pay is nothing compared to a proper wage and some companies aren't even offering that. I agree with limited contact etc in order to protect the most vulnerable but the government really needs to have some kind of contingency plan before recommending people take time off work with little/no pay.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey @SilenceOfTheLamb,
If you have the money and space at home maybe you could try ordering some simple equipment for your workouts? Or maybe you could try calisthenics exercises to build muscle? but there is a limit to how much you can gain with bodyweight workouts.

Lynn
Reply 7
I understand the feeling.

Make the most of the gym whilst it’s open. Be sure to wash your hands before and after you train (which is obvious). Also, if you’re pretty strict with your nutrition and training your immune system should be pretty robust so there’s not too much to worry about. I’m personally going twice a day at the moment with weights and a little cardio in the AM and cardio/abs in the PM. Whilst focusing on macronutrients can be important, do not neglect your micronutrient intake so try to consume fish, beef, fruits, lots of water and vegetables etc.

You won’t lose everything you’ve achieved if you have to take 2-4 weeks off, that I can assure you. You may become softer but keep your diet on track (also stick to single ingredient foods as much as possible), lower the carbohydrates and try to maintain some level of activity perhaps through outdoor running and pull-ups/pushups. If you have resistance bands they can also be useful during this time.

Also, some people at the gym aren’t very hygienic, especially some of the very young guys (from my experience at least). So be a little more careful when using benches or equipment after someone by wiping them down (your gym should have a spray and wipe).
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest