TSR's One Album a Day Club

Watch
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Oh I will be adding "Gorillaz - Demon Days" as my recommended album to whack onto the list. Will be updating lists and scores after 5.30 pm as that's when I can stop working
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Oh I will be adding "Gorillaz - Demon Days" as my recommended album to whack onto the list. Will be updating lists and scores after 5.30 pm as that's when I can stop working
I've listened to this hundreds of times
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
I've listened to this hundreds of times
Is that a lets do that one soon or a lets never do that.

Just thought it was one of those albums that really benefits from being listened to track by track in order.
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is that a lets do that one soon or a lets never do that.

Just thought it was one of those albums that really benefits from being listened to track by track in order.
Neither, just letting you know :rofl:

It's a great album And you're right, well put together
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can I also recommend John Talabot - Fin

But not as a priority
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Dreams - What a song to open on. Love the vocals. Absolutely timeless. :coma::coma:

El Diablo - That Spanish guitar, though. :coma:

Face to the Wind - Another top song. :coma: Amazing guitar solo, too.

Angel Of The Night - Love the energy in this one. :coma: Great driving song, I imagine (I can't drive).

Seasons - Definitely the weirdest song on the album, though I do like it. :coma:

Do it the Hard Way - Very different, but just as intense. :coma:

Full Moon Man - The most underrated song in history, IMO. :coma::coma:

Let it Go - Better than the one from Frozen.

Garden of Man - And what a song to end on. :coma:

Having re-listened to it, definitely a 10/10 from me. Perfection. :coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma::coma:
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
Everything has been updated! Can we get scores in for Grace Slick by everyone please

Does anyone have any preference from the quite full backlog already? If someone can pick a suggestion that isn't their own we can crack on with that one tomorrow

This is fun guys!
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Everything has been updated! Can we get scores in for Grace Slick by everyone please

Does anyone have any preference from the quite full backlog already? If someone can pick a suggestion that isn't their own we can crack on with that one tomorrow

This is fun guys!
Somebody above me suggested Led Zeppelin IV. I'd really be interested in seeing what people think of it.
SaDe7
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The vocals are pretty good but it just isn't for me.

I'd give Dreams a 5/10.
nathan_nacu
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Day two

We currently have four ratings in for Prince's - Purple Rain: 6,6,8,8. Now I'm no mathematician but I'm pretty confident that averages out to a humbling 7/10 for the superstar. If anyone has listened or wants to listen update in here with scores and I will add it to the ratings list!!!

I wanted to try and mix up different eras and genres so will be picking and choosing from our recommendations to make sure we don't get too stuck in one place or time. So although I think this is going to annoy some of you today's pick for Album Of The Day is ........ (drumroll)

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (Warning - Explicit Content)

Spotify link!!!

Obviously I should probably warn people so I don't get in trouble, this has lots of bad language as you can expect, so if this will offend you please skip today and join us tomorrow where we will be going back in time and listening to AngryJellyfish's Grace Slick - Dreams!!!

Happy listening everybody

P.S Should I start tagging posters in this everyday? If so who wants to be in the quote list?
Best hiphop album of the 2010s

Gets a 10 alone for Nicki Minaj’s verse on monster
XKangaotiCX
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Alright a bit behind, but let's goo
(cue me pretending like I'm some sort of music critique with any sort of clue of what I'm on about lmao)

Album 1 - "Purple Rain" by Prince
Wow, what a great album. I've never thought to listen to the whole album before but I'm super glad I did (thank you, homer ). The vocals and raw passion this man presents... astonishing, truly (can be seen especially in "the beautiful ones" - love the initial soft vocals at the beginning which develops into a passion-fuelled scream when he says "DO YOU WANT ME?!?! CAUSE I WANT YOU!!"). Each song seems so distinct from each other, and I really like that. And don't get me started on the guitar riffs, they're delicious - I can really see why Prince is such a beloved icon of the music industry.
My favourites include: "The beautiful ones", "When doves cry" and "Take me with u" (I would say "purple rain" too, but I've listened to that a lot before, and possibly over listened to it )
Overall, I'd give it an 8/10 - will definitely be listening to again.

Album 2 - "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" by Kanye West
Jesus, that was one hell of a ride. I barely know where to begin. Honestly, I have to disagree with most people on here on this one, I really liked this album. Never liked Kanye himself, he always seemed arrogant to me, but after listening to this album... I have a newfound appreciation for his talent. Straight off the bat, "Dark fantasy" completely hooked me - the introduction was beautiful. I really liked the way Kanye has amalgamated two seemingly opposite genres of rap and choral music. Frankly, I didn't want it to end. And this is only the first song. I have to agree with a youtube comment that said (paraphrasing here) the album was like taking a line of coke (I don't condone drugs for the record lmao) - each track had its own flavour and added its own value to the entirety of the album and took me on an emotional journey (what a snob pff). I really liked the features too (like Rick Ross in "Devil In A New Dress" and Nicki Minaj). I think the thing that really captivates me is how experimental and unconventional this album sounded. I can completely understand why people wouldn't like it though, it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea haha
My favourites include: "Dark Fantasy", "All Of The Lights" + interlude, "Devil In a New Dress" and "Runaway"
I give it a 9/10 - I'll be listening to this again and checking out some of Kanye's other stuff.

Next up, "Dreams" by Grace Slick. Never heard of the artist before so this should be fun.
Last edited by XKangaotiCX; 2 weeks ago
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
Album number 4

Hi guys!

Sorry for the late announcement!!! Today's album is ...................

Led Zeppelin IV

Link to Youtube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIiu...z_7i-6cvwgQbS7

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1Ugdi...RG2D-BCPIB-Ruw

I haven't listened to a full Led Zeppelin album before so I'm quite excited by this! Hope you guys enjoy
Last edited by Puddles the Monkey; 2 weeks ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Led Zeppelin IV:

Black Dog - Good stuff. If the entire album was just that guitar riff, I'd have no complaints. :coma::coma:

Rock and Roll - Okay, I'm definitely a fan now. :coma::coma:

The Battle of Evermore - What little I can make out of the lyrics sounds interesting, but it's hard to make out over the (admittedly lovely) music. :dontknow:

Stairway to Heaven - Ooh, I know this one. :ahee: Just amazing. :coma::coma:

Misty Mountain Hop - Not bad, not amazing... could be because it had such a tough act to follow, mind.

Four Sticks - Again, couldn't make out many of the lyrics in places, but the overall sound was so good that it didn't matter. :coma:

Going to California - Very emotional. :coma:

When the Levee Breaks - Damn, what a strong finisher. Possibly my favourite song on the whole album. :coma::coma:

Another 10/10 from me. :congrats:
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
SOOOOOOOO

I actually didn't like this album as much as I thought I would It started off really really strong but it gets very slow in the middle and I found my concentration drifting a little bit! The big tracks are absolutely amazing though and it does finish really strongly, When the Levee Breaks is a tuneeeeeee.

7/10
GreenCub
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
SOOOOOOOO

I actually didn't like this album as much as I thought I would It started off really really strong but it gets very slow in the middle and I found my concentration drifting a little bit! The big tracks are absolutely amazing though and it does finish really strongly, When the Levee Breaks is a tuneeeeeee.

7/10
Which other ones did you like besides When The Levee Breaks? I've listened to this album a lot before (Led Zep is my favourite band) and my favourites are probably Black Dog and Rock and Roll.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Christ, I hate this album :lol:

Played Rock & Roll about a billion times in various bands over the years, if I never heard it again it'd be too soon :lol:
SaDe7
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Didn't like this album either. Could just be the genre or this album in particular but I'd give it a 3.

I recommend 4:44 by JAY-Z
Puddles the Monkey
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Led Zep IV:

I love this album, 10/10 from me. Starts off rock then goes into some weird like folk for ages and then ends with when the Levee Breaks which is a tune.

Also this thread is making me realise I should never become a music reviewer I'm bad at it.
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
Hello,

Will go about updating the scores and recommendations. Also do we want the weekends off or should I be cracking on with those days as well?

Anywayyyyyyyyyy It is

Album Number 5

Trying to mix things up again a little bit here, so I think today we are going for..........................

Malibu by Anderson.Paak

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6xNFu...SJuZmCH92FlTTw

Hope you guys enjoy! Let me know what you think
GreenCub
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Evil Homer I was wondering if Appetite For Destruction/Back In Black/Led Zeppelin II could be added to the backlog?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (303)
34.35%
No (579)
65.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed