The Student Room Group

TSR's One Album a Day Club

Scroll to see replies

Original post by excitedpresent
Would be nice to hear some more obscure albums too tbh, ones no one's heard of. Always like them.

Pink Floyd's The Final Cut is not that well known, probably the least known of their post-Syd Barrett albums.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Any more takers for The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, or should we move on?

I've listened to some of it, but got distracted and haven't finished it yet :colondollar:
Original post by barnetlad
You should listen to it at one sitting, it is an album not a collection of singles. Personally it's third favourite of Pink Floyd albums, after Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

I did (albeit not that attentively)
Any more takers for The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream, or should we move on?

Do you have any suggestions? :smile: We've had a few lesser known ones suggested by users over the course of the last 130, though the polls we run every 10th album usually feature the big names.

Entertainment! by Gang of Four would be my suggestion. A post punk abum :biggrin:

And let's move on!
Original post by Theloniouss
I've listened to some of it, but got distracted and haven't finished it yet :colondollar:

Same, but I definitely liked what I heard. It's looking to be a 7/10 or so
The Future - Leonard Cohen as upbeat as ever. Still nice music.

Waiting for the Miracle - good, but a bit too long

Be For Real - better, and the shortest at a mere 4 and a half minutes :P

Closing Time - this one I love.

Anthem - this is the song where that quote is from. And it is a lovely song.

Democracy - oh ho ho ho how topical.

Light as the Breeze - nice. Feels longer than the last one even though they're the same length.

Always - mmmm slide guitar.

Tacoma Trailer - great instrumental ending.

I gave You Want It Darker an 8/10, that time I was probably being a bit stingy but I'm giving this one 8/10 as well. The songs have a bit more meat on them here and they still have great lyrics as ever, but it's a bit too long and doesn't fit together as nicely as YWID.
Leonard Cohen - The Future

The Future - Upbeat depression! Usually my kind of thing, but this was just okay.

Waiting for the Miracle - Really liked this. :yy::yy:

Be for Real - Also nice. :yy:

Closing Time - Catchy! :yy:

Anthem - Fantastic. :yy:

Democracy - Powerful, and very relevant right now! :laugh: :yy:

Light as the Breeze - Good stuff. :yy:

Always - Too long, too slow.

Tacoma Trailer - Lovely. :yy:

I preferred the simplicity (and, well, darkness) of You Want it Darker, but still enjoyed this as I expected I would. 8/10
Entertainment! Exists :blow:

Ether - Different. I'm not convinced it's my kind of sound, but I like the energy. :yy:

Natural’s Not in It - Not for me.

Not Great Men - This just might be, though. :yy:

Damaged Goods - Nice. :yy:

Return the Gift - Nah.

Guns Before Butter - Meh.

I Found That Essence Rare - Not bad. :yy:

Glass - Nope.

Contract - Okay.

At Home He’s A Tourist - Better. :yy:

5.45 - Really liked this. :yy:

Anthrax - Interesting, but a bit too much going on for my tastes.

6/10.
Entertainment! Exists :blow:

Ether - Different. I'm not convinced it's my kind of sound, but I like the energy. :yy:

Natural’s Not in It - Not for me.

Not Great Men - This just might be, though. :yy:

Damaged Goods - Nice. :yy:

Return the Gift - Nah.

Guns Before Butter - Meh.

I Found That Essence Rare - Not bad. :yy:

Glass - Nope.

Contract - Okay.

At Home He’s A Tourist - Better. :yy:

5.45 - Really liked this. :yy:

Anthrax - Interesting, but a bit too much going on for my tastes.

6/10.

LOL fair enough, it is a very obscure album
im glad you liked damaged goods at least, definitely best song of the album
Gang of Four - Entertainment

Pretty good overall, but a few were a bit eh. 7/10.
To think I used to think the Gang of Four were politicians! Thank you for sharing this.
Leonard Cohen - The Future

Every track was just a bit long and similar for me, although most sounded good otherwise. 5.5/10
Oh yeah I listened to Gang of Four a few days ago. Nice to hear English accents in music for once, but I didn't find the songs that amazing, they were mostly alright. Can't name a specific one atm. So 6/10 too.
Sky Arts had a Pink Floyd concert on Saturday evening, followed by Nick Mason and a band performing 1960s Pink Floyd songs. Much better than Strictly and Mrs Brown's Boys.
Original post by barnetlad
Sky Arts had a Pink Floyd concert on Saturday evening, followed by Nick Mason and a band performing 1960s Pink Floyd songs. Much better than Strictly and Mrs Brown's Boys.

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, right? I think I'm meant to be seeing them in concert at some point next year...
Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers

We Can Be Together - America's first national TV broadcasted F-bomb, apparently! :laugh: Song itself is okay.

Good Shepherd - Not really my thing.

The Farm - :moo:

Hey Frederick - That's more like it! Starts strong, gets better and better. :yy:

Turn My Life Down - Good. :yy:

Wooden Ships - Epic. :yy:

Eskimo Blue Day - Very nice. :yy:

A Song for All Seasons - Not bad either. :yy:

Meadowlands - Passable instrumental. Apparently it does have lyrics, but good luck making them out!

Volunteers - Solid outro. :yy:

6/10, certainly no Surrealistic Pillow.
Please may I make an album recommendation? :smile:

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights.

Quick Reply

Latest