pbailey2711
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can send me some useful links that explains the Supreme Courts role in the UK constitution.

Thanks
Last edited by pbailey2711; 2 years ago
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pbailey2711)
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help me tell me what role does the Supreme court play in the UK constitutional framework? I have researched but still a bit unsure.

Thanks
The links below will certainly help you to get a better overall understanding of the Supreme Court. The first link is a good read because it also mentions the famous and recently retired,Lady Justice Hale, of 'Boris Johnson poroging parliament' judgement ,fame
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49663001
Try reading this link as well: https://www.dur.ac.uk/international/.../?itemno=40221
pbailey2711
Rep:
(Original post by mgi)
The links below will certainly help you to get a better overall understanding of the Supreme Court. The first link is a good read because it also mentions the famous and recently retired,Lady Justice Hale, of 'Boris Johnson poroging parliament' judgement ,fame
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49663001
Try reading this link as well: https://www.dur.ac.uk/international/.../?itemno=40221
Thank you
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I'm hoping you realise that what you've asked is a really broad question, which will differ according to different academics views of the constitution.

You have the political constitution that says one thing, and the legal constitution that says another thing. The court's role will differ according to these two conceptions.

I suggest you do some reading on both. For reading on the political constitution I'd recommend reading any of Griffith's work, for the Legal constitution check out Sir John Laws or TRS Allan

I'm assuming this is for undergrad?
pbailey2711
Rep:
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I'm hoping you realise that what you've asked is a really broad question, which will differ according to different academics views of the constitution.

You have the political constitution that says one thing, and the legal constitution that says another thing. The court's role will differ according to these two conceptions.

I suggest you do some reading on both. For reading on the political constitution I'd recommend reading any of Griffith's work, for the Legal constitution check out Sir John Laws or TRS Allan

I'm assuming this is for undergrad?
Thank you, I will look into Griffiths work! Because it is so broad it is becoming very overwhelming so was just wanting some advice as to where to look for further information. I'm an undergrad so I am currently just learning about this topic
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by pbailey2711)
Thank you, I will look into Griffiths work! Because it is so broad it is becoming very overwhelming so was just wanting some advice as to where to look for further information. I'm an undergrad so I am currently just learning about this topic
Fair enough!

Griffith's wrote a piece literally called 'The Political Constitution' which is his view of the constitution as a whole but he wrote a lot about the courts and how they fit into his ideal constitution, so it's definitely worth a read. It's quite dry reading but you should be able to get a good idea of the court's role within that framework.

Just bare in mind that it's only one viewpoint though, plenty more has been said in very different ways.
pbailey2711
Rep:
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Fair enough!

Griffith's wrote a piece literally called 'The Political Constitution' which is his view of the constitution as a whole but he wrote a lot about the courts and how they fit into his ideal constitution, so it's definitely worth a read. It's quite dry reading but you should be able to get a good idea of the court's role within that framework.

Just bare in mind that it's only one viewpoint though, plenty more has been said in very different ways.
Thank you, this has been very helpful and really useful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (155)
41.67%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.55%
No (148)
39.78%

Watched Threads