[POLL] A Levels & Coronavirus: What should happen?

Watch
Poll: COVID 19: What should happen to this years A Level Exams?
Continue as planned (187)
21.95%
Delay exams (332)
38.97%
Use predicted grades & no exams (296)
34.74%
Cancel & resit (37)
4.34%
MarcosTheories
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
As you all know, the coronavirus (COVID-19) is likely to have an impact on this years A level examinations as the peak of the pandemic is likely to be during the exam season.

So - which option do you think is best for the government and Ofqual to proceed with?

1. Continue as planned

Continue with the current examination timetable (there will be disruptions and potential extenuating circumstances for infected and severely affected students)

2. Delay

Start examinations once the scale of the pandemic has lowered (this may mean further into June, summer examinations or September examinations and a later university start date)

3. Predicted grades + no exams

No examinations - base scores and university entrance off of predicted grades (potentially with mock exams and class scores)

4. Cancel all examinations - resit the year.

Let me know any other options and argue your cases below!

Stay safe everyone
Last edited by MarcosTheories; 7 months ago
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by MarcosTheories)
As you all know, the coronavirus (COVID-19) is likely to have an impact on this years A level examinations as the peak of the pandemic is likely to be during the exam season.

So - which option do you think is best for the government and Ofqual to proceed with?

1. Continue as planned

Continue with the current examination timetable (there will be disruptions and potential extenuating circumstances for infected and severely affected students)

2. Delay

Start examinations once the scale of the pandemic has lowered (this may mean further into June, summer examinations or September examinations and a later university start date)

3. Predicted grades + no exams

No examinations - base scores and university entrance off of predicted grades (potentially with mock exams and class scores)

4. Cancel all examinations - resit the year.

Let me know any other options!

Stay safe everyone
Did you want me to add a poll to this thread for you ?
MarcosTheories
Rep:
?
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Did you want me to add a poll to this thread for you ?
I've just done it! Thanks.
russo25
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Delay is most certainly the fairest option, however I wouldn’t be opposed to getting some sort of average between mock results and predicted grades. Although saying that, predicted grades are very likely to be incorrect and different colleges do different mocks with different grade boundaries so it is not unilateral. I would be very surprised if the exam boards and schools went down any path other than delay. Furthermore, I personally would want it to stay the way it is however I understand that is probably not possible and others will have a greater disruption to their studies than I have.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
continue as planned
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
also predicted grades are inaccurate and should not be used
MarcosTheories
Rep:
?
(Original post by russo25)
Delay is most certainly the fairest option, however I wouldn’t be opposed to getting some sort of average between mock results and predicted grades. Although saying that, predicted grades are very likely to be incorrect and different colleges do different mocks with different grade boundaries so it is not unilateral. I would be very surprised if the exam boards and schools went down any path other than delay. Furthermore, I personally would want it to stay the way it is however I understand that is probably not possible and others will have a greater disruption to their studies than I have.
I agree with you. Personally, I don't see using predicted grades happening as it would create an entire controversy regarding pupils from different backgrounds receiving different treatment. ie: a student at a public school from a lower background is underpredicted and therefore can not get into an aspirational university, a student at a private school is overpredicted and gets in.
MarcosTheories
Rep:
?
Also, I don't understand how using predicted grades would work?

Because surely students would not leave with literal A level grades (which are taken into account by employers and 3rd year industry)
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
There is no easy solution. Each option will cause a lot of problems and most will cause a lot of stress for students, reducing the chances of the exams reflecting their ability. Everyone is going to be affected differently. Those self-isolating at the moment won't be in class to finish the course. They shouldn't be expected to sit an exam on content they haven't been taught.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
excellent points!!
russo25
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Delay is most certainly the fairest option, however I wouldn’t be opposed to getting some sort of average between mock results and predicted grades. Although saying that, predicted grades are very likely to be incorrect and different colleges do different mocks with different grade boundaries so it is not unilateral. I would be very surprised if the exam boards and schools went down any path other than delay. Furthermore, I personally would want it to stay the way it is however I understand that is probably not possible and others will have a greater disruption to their studies than I have
No solution will be ideal for everyone and the bodies are damned if they do and damned if they don’t in this case. The predicted grades scenario shouldn’t be considered imo as it’s extremely unfair. I have extremely good predicted and i got extremely good mocks so I wouldn’t be in a position to complain but others definitely would be- so that option should be ruled out.

I agree with you. Personally, I don't see using predicted grades happening as it would create an entire controversy regarding pupils from different backgrounds receiving different treatment. ie: a student at a public school from a lower background is underpredicted and therefore can not get into an aspirational university, a student at a private school is overpredicted and gets in.
Funnily enough, it is actually the other way round for predicted grades. Private schools(at least the one i went to be before i left for a sixth form college)tend to underpredict or don’t budge once they’ve been decided whereas state schools tend to be a lot more flexible and tend to overpredict and get them more incorrect. But saying that my private school was a top achieving school(did pre Us) and roughly 90% students get A*-A and there were admission tests to get in. So naturally private school predicted grades(in my experience) will naturally be higher, at least the ones with admission tests will be
russo25
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
There is no easy solution. Each option will cause a lot of problems and most will cause a lot of stress for students, reducing the chances of the exams reflecting their ability. Everyone is going to be affected differently. Those self-isolating at the moment won't be in class to finish the course. They shouldn't be expected to sit an exam on content they haven't been taught.
Yes, so delay is the best and fairest option!
MarcosTheories
Rep:
?
Do you guys think that delaying the exams (lets say to September) would increase the average a level grade, or decrease it.

Reasons for a potential increase:
(+) More time to study
(+) Course can be taught via google classroom during exam season so no issues regarding unfinished course
(+) and the obvious... coronavirus distraction / infection no longer (lets hope) a problem

Reasons for a potential decrease:
(-) Summer, students unmotivated, holidays (questionable but may still happen)
(-) Less able students more likely to forget year 1 content
Last edited by MarcosTheories; 7 months ago
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Do you guys think that delaying the exams (lets say to September) would increase the average a level grade, or decrease it.

(+) More time to study
(+) Course can be taught via google classroom during exam season so no issues regarding unfinished course
(+) and the obvious... coronavirus distraction / infection no longer (lets hope) a problem

I think the unmotivated students is going to be a bigger factor than people realise. A few weeks/months ago, we were looking forward to our long summers and holidays, and then going off to university in September. I think delaying them is just going to stress students out so much more. What have they got to look forward to now? Spending summer inside, revising.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
PQ what do you think should happen?
SK.B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Without bias, the correct option would be A) with extenuating circumstances (but runs risk of exposing students to COVID-19) or B) Delay... given that students are disrupted in their studies and therefore excepted to do worse... but this brings it's own issues such as having to move exams over summer which can be quite inconvenient with no certainty that the situation would change.

On the other scope, for students who are predicted AAB+ its quite tempting and convenient to be rooting for COVID-19 to give us our predicted grades so we can calmly watlz in top-tier universities without the stress.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think the unmotivated students is going to be a bigger factor than people realise. A few weeks/months ago, we were looking forward to our long summers and holidays, and then going off to university in September. I think delaying them is just going to stress students out so much more. What have they got to look forward to now? Spending summer inside, revising.
agreed feel sorry for the current year 13's
russo25
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

(+) More time to study

It should in theory increase grade boundaries for each subject leading to a potentially lower average grade for lower skilled students but it should increase average grade for higher skilled students. At the end of the day, you just got to take whatever is given to you and it give it your best shot. I can categorically say that people who have already started preparing for the exams as if they were happening as usual will do the best. People who use the Coronavirus as an excuse will not. You have just got to keep going, if that means self learning, you have to get on with it. If you prepare and do all the work you need to do instead of trying to find excuses, you’ll get the grade you deserve. I have finished the syllabus(almost) in maths and FM but in accounting we’ve still got a bit to do so its not like we are missing out large chunks of a level teaching. Just a few gaps need filling in. As usual the people that adapt to the situations they’re given and just get on with, they will do the best.
EBroome
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Personaly I think predicted grades would be best usually when a teacher predicts your grade they are fairly accurate they give one person who may work hard and have a better understanding an A and the person who doesn't work as hard or who doesn't have as much knowledge a C if there are regulations like 10% can have an a 50% B/c 20%D ect it would be fairly accurate if you have to re sit the year younger years would be a disadvantage as the current year's would have had 3 years of teaching. I feel carrying on will cause a lot of stress and be potentialy unsafe plus doing the exams at a later date could be interesting as we don't know how long it's going to last plus once you do the exam it will take a while to be marked and get the result back which could be pretty awkward for starting universities in September.
russo25
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Bro i am one of the laziest people, i struggle with attention span issues, I’ve already done 3 years of sixth form(started pre Us at a school but had to drop out because my mother became ill so had to start yr 12 again doing different subjects at a level.) I want a fresh start more than anything and i really need a break(summer) as i suffer with anxiety bc of my mums cancer but you’ve just got to get on with it and not make excuses, you have to find that motivation and keep going and do what you can with the cards you’ve been dealt! I am extremely unmotivated but me being unmotivated should not lessen the credibility of motivated people who I know also desire a break. After all its my fault I am lazy and unmotivated. We’ve got to take accountability and try change our attitudes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.56%
I'm not sure (8)
2.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (107)
34.74%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.3%
I'm not a current university student (138)
44.81%

Watched Threads