What should I do now?

Watch
HanimalGurl
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

Due to the coronavirus my university has stopped face to face teaching till the 1st of may and I had been searching for work for months and only just got a job now, it's so unfortunate.

I start this weekend and only have £150 left of my overdraft (£-1350 in my account), idk how i'm going to stay here for 8 weeks as if I start I dont get paid till the end of April and my student finance doesn't come in until the 27th of April.

I go to university in Swansea and my home is in London, I'm worried the country will be put on lockdown if the situation becomes worse and it may be cheaper to go home for 5 days a week then to live here everyweek. My friends suggest I quit, but I had been looking for this job for ages but I feel like, by travelling this much, puts me at risk of catching the coronavirus and passing it on to my parents.

Should I quit my job and stay at home? or should I go home everyother week, as I don't think I can survive on £150 for 8 weeks.

Or if you have any other suggestions please post.
Last edited by Jack22031994; 2 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HanimalGurl)
Due to the coronavirus my university has stopped face to face teaching till the 1st of may and I had been searching for work for months and only just got a job now, it's so unfortunate.

I start this weekend and only have £150 left of my overdraft (£-1350 in my account), idk how i'm going to stay here for 8 weeks as if I start I dont get paid till the end of April and my student finance doesn't come in until the 27th of April.

I go to university in Swansea and my home is in London, I'm worried the country will be put on lockdown if the situation becomes worse and it may be cheaper to go home for 5 days a week then to live here everyweek. My friends suggest I quit, but I had been looking for this job for ages but I feel like, by travelling this much, puts me at risk of catching the coronavirus and passing it on to my parents.

Should I quit my job and stay at home? or should I go home everyother week, as I don't think I can survive on £150 for 8 weeks.

Or if you have any other suggestions please post.
Depending on your job there is a chance it could be ended because of Covid 19 so the decision may be made for you. Be warned. Have you asked the bank if it can extend by a bit? I doubt lockdown will be that severe i.e China style.
Is the job only weekends? If so then do overtime.
Have you paid for your accommodation already? I dont have a full picture, but its obviously just sitting down and weighing up pros and cons.
HanimalGurl
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Depending on your job there is a chance it could be ended because of Covid 19 so the decision may be made for you. Be warned. Have you asked the bank if it can extend by a bit? I doubt lockdown will be that severe i.e China style.
Is the job only weekends? If so then do overtime.
Have you paid for your accommodation already? I dont have a full picture, but its obviously just sitting down and weighing up pros and cons.
Yes the job is only weekends, but an hour ago I got an email saying the exams will no longer be onsite, meaning that they will be online, all my flatmates have gone home and I don't think they will be returning if the uni says they don't have to pay for the accommodation in the last academic term.

I use student finance so haven't paid for the last academic term's accommodation.

Thanks for your help so far, i'll try to follow up with my job
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes the job is only weekends, but an hour ago I got an email saying the exams will no longer be onsite, meaning that they will be online, all my flatmates have gone home and I don't think they will be returning if the uni says they don't have to pay for the accommodation in the last academic term.

I use student finance so haven't paid for the last academic term's accommodation.

Thanks for your help so far, i'll try to follow up with my job
You could just see if they are thinking of making you redundant. Tread carefully but if they did make you redundant would you have a better chance of being taken back on? Work out where you want to be home or at uni. Some people can study better at home and others at uni.

If you are Y2 or Y3 then priority is your exams as long as you can afford it.
I think you will have to pay T3 fees because your student finance includes them.
HanimalGurl
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
You could just see if they are thinking of making you redundant. Tread carefully but if they did make you redundant would you have a better chance of being taken back on? Work out where you want to be home or at uni. Some people can study better at home and others at uni.

If you are Y2 or Y3 then priority is your exams as long as you can afford it.
I think you will have to pay T3 fees because your student finance includes them.
My exams are kind of a priority now too even though i'm first year, if I don't get at least a 2.1 this year I get moved down to the normal degree, I'm on a year in industry course
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
My exams are kind of a priority now too even though i'm first year, if I don't get at least a 2.1 this year I get moved down to the normal degree, I'm on a year in industry course
Do a bit more research. You can also try hardship fund or emergency loan from SU who might lend you £50-100, that would eb £200 for 6 weeks? Just gather some more information then make a choice. If the job is likely to collapse then it might make it obvious what to do.
HanimalGurl
Rep:
?
Yeah I looked at that, but there was a time where I would go tesco everyday to buy £2 or £4 goods and go clubbing atleast once a fortnight so idk if they would give it to me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (304)
34.31%
No (582)
65.69%

Watched Threads