The Student Room Group

Cancelling tenancy

Heyhey,
Really need help with what I can do with my student accommodation tenancy. I have a contract until 10th of June, but i want to move out early, due to the Corona virus outbreak. I live in London, and with even my part time job closing (due to safety), I am unable to pay for living in London. I was planning to move back home, where I would still have to pay a share of my rent, meaning that I will pay 2 rents :/
I called the accommodation, cuz they still havent responded to my email since last week, and they said that they cant suspend the tenancy unless I find someone else that would rent the room, which will not happen cuz all the students have moved away from London. Or another option is to withdraw from uni, which, again, not gonna happen.
Is there any way that anyone would know alternative way that has worked before, that would allow me to break the tenancy contract.
Heard that if you dont pay rent they kick you out, so an option? But dont want to get fines or anything like that. Bit less dangerous :smile:
Original post by Liza1999
Heyhey,
Really need help with what I can do with my student accommodation tenancy. I have a contract until 10th of June, but i want to move out early, due to the Corona virus outbreak. I live in London, and with even my part time job closing (due to safety), I am unable to pay for living in London. I was planning to move back home, where I would still have to pay a share of my rent, meaning that I will pay 2 rents :/
I called the accommodation, cuz they still havent responded to my email since last week, and they said that they cant suspend the tenancy unless I find someone else that would rent the room, which will not happen cuz all the students have moved away from London. Or another option is to withdraw from uni, which, again, not gonna happen.
Is there any way that anyone would know alternative way that has worked before, that would allow me to break the tenancy contract.
Heard that if you dont pay rent they kick you out, so an option? But dont want to get fines or anything like that. Bit less dangerous :smile:

Your only three options are:
1) Find a replacement tenant to take over your contract
2) Continue to pay for the room (whether or not you choose to stay)
3) Move out, refuse to pay, and then have your guarantor be forced to pay your rent arrears, or got dragged to court yourself and be forced to pay.

Speak to your accommodation again and ask if you can sort out a different payment plan/schedule. That might lighten your load a bit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending