The A.G
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Explore the significance of responsibility in An Inspector calls.

Throughout the play, responsibility is relayed towards the audience as detrimental and significance by the actions of the characters. Evidently this is seen in the first chapter of when Mr Birling fires Eva Smith due to his selfish pursuit of money, “she had to go”. The ramifications of the somewhat unreasonable firing of Eva caused her to become homeless despite her hard working ethic ,not only that towards the audience it is seen as the trigger in the spiral of decline of which she experiences, thus ultimately portraying the irresponsible actions of an individual to have a dramatic effect on others.Priestley is critiquing the capitalist ideologies to be the stem of the lack of responsibility from the upper class and Elizabethan society in general. This concurs with the post-war audience as it was a time where there was an uprising of social responsibility and support for the moderate parties such as the landslide victory of Labour in 1945.

Furthermore as the play develops, the lack of responsibility is shown to be heavily influential towards the younger generation which is prominently depicted from the actions of Shelia and Eric. Eva’s time at Milwards came to a halt by the actions of the jealous Shelia due to her insecurities leading to her firing Eva,” I told him that if they didn’t fire her then I would not come again”. The unrighteous act of Shelia where she abuses her power to fire Eva presents the themes of; Arbitrary power, social inequality, these of which are strongly felt by the audience as it is the second time within the play where Eva is mistreated by the upper class causing us to feel pathos for her.In addition, Eric’s reckless actions is implied that he raped Eva through his use of power and reputation. At this point the lack of responsibility is at its pinnacle to the extent that it later on drives Eva to commit suicide, this enraged the audience because of how Eric doesn’t take responsibility for his baby but instead abandons her during the time she needs help the most.Perhaps Priestley is condemning the upper class norms and capitalism to be the cause of the unjust actions towards Eva, not only that he is trying to express that if humanity continues to be influenced by the ignorant and selfish people of the upper class many more innocent people will die.This thoroughly resonates with the pre-war audience as they were extremely focused on money and status causing them to harm the well-being of others, ultimately resulting to two world wars.
Last edited by The A.G; 3 weeks ago
DauntlessKilljoy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay, so the first thing I'm going to say is that this is nowhere near long enough.
I assume this is for GCSE?
You definitely need a proper introduction and conclusion as separate paragraphs, even if they're only a couple of sentences each.
And then I'd suggest having around 3 main paragraphs.
Some of what you've written is good though.
I'd recommend analysisng your quotes a bit more, e.g. metaphor, simile, emotive language, hyperbole, alliteration.
The A.G
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DauntlessKilljoy)
Okay, so the first thing I'm going to say is that this is nowhere near long enough.
I assume this is for GCSE?
You definitely need a proper introduction and conclusion as separate paragraphs, even if they're only a couple of sentences each.
And then I'd suggest having around 3 main paragraphs.
Some of what you've written is good though.
I'd recommend analysisng your quotes a bit more, e.g. metaphor, simile, emotive language, hyperbole, alliteration.
Yep I’ve also been told by my teacher that I need a proper intro and conc.You gain no marks from analyzing language and structure techniques.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (271)
15.52%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.97%
Isolating with family (123)
7.04%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.47%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (146)
8.36%
Loneliness (173)
9.91%
Financial worries (69)
3.95%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (159)
9.11%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
7.1%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (155)
8.88%

Watched Threads