Can I get an A If I only use the CGP revision guide and past papers for as level bio

Watch
Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So for a while, Ive been using the textbook, and I realise that most of the stuff in the textbook is alot of extra information and alot of stuff from the exams are just appliction for core knowledge . So do you think i can get an A at As if I only use the cgp revision guide, past papers and use the textbook if I don't understand something. I'd also probably use the textbook summary questions and spec. I'm basically substituting the textbook for the revision guide
🦁Road to A** 🦁
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
My teachers said that I’d fail without the textbooks and I’m being pressured into reading it so I’d advice reading the cgp guide and lightly reading the textbook
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 🦁Road to A** 🦁)
My teachers said that I’d fail without the textbooks and I’m being pressured into reading it so I’d advice reading the cgp guide and lightly reading the textbook
So do you think I should make notes from the revision guide, then read the textbook, or make notes from the revision guide and textbook at the same time, I'm asking as I feel like the textbook has way to much irrelevent information and I dont wanna be worried about how much depth I need to know something in. Also, using them at the same time would be kinda annoying as they both present information at a slightly different order.

Or should I do this thing where if I understand a topic, I'll use a revision guide, but if I dont understand it, I'll use a textbook. But then the textbook may have info that i need to memorise - not just understand

My last option is to Use the textbook and skip out the parts that I thnk is irrelevant using the spec. But then I may risk the chance of skipping important detail.

- What would you do if you were me?
Last edited by Azimbrook1; 10 months ago
🦁Road to A** 🦁
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I’d use the textbook for the first time e.g for a topic and make notes as it has everything and make sure to cross-check with the spec after that I’d stick with the revision guide (it’s what I’d like to do)
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by 🦁Road to A** 🦁)
I’d use the textbook for the first time e.g for a topic and make notes as it has everything and make sure to cross-check with the spec after that I’d stick with the revision guide (it’s what I’d like to do)
Ive decided to 1st use the revision guide. As it's simpler and easiar to understand, then Id use the textbook (with spec). The textbook waffles on more so i find it harder to understand the main process/point.
Da14a
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
So for a while, Ive been using the textbook, and I realise that most of the stuff in the textbook is alot of extra information and alot of stuff from the exams are just appliction for core knowledge . So do you think i can get an A at As if I only use the cgp revision guide, past papers and use the textbook if I don't understand something. I'd also probably use the textbook summary questions and spec. I'm basically substituting the textbook for the revision guide
Would advise against omitting your textbook as part of the revision process as CGP is *very* iffy in terms of smaller details and more complex scenarios. This was even a problem with my GCSE sciences last year where there were tidbits missing for Bio especially. Just my advice as a fellow Y12, don't follow it if your method works better for ya.
🦁Road to A** 🦁
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
Ive decided to 1st use the revision guide. As it's simpler and easiar to understand, then Id use the textbook (with spec). The textbook waffles on more so i find it harder to understand the main process/point.
Just don’t forget the textbook read it at least once to spot the differences and jot them down
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (268)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (208)
43.7%

Watched Threads