We shouldn't bail out airline companies

Watch
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally, if I were an airline I'd just cut back on the avocado toast and starbucks lattes - pull yourself up by your bootstraps and all that
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Personally, if I were an airline I'd just cut back on the avocado toast and starbucks lattes - pull yourself up by your bootstraps and all that
BA has closed half its lounges in T5
Burridge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Yes, it is terrible that many people are losing their jobs. But we need an honest conversation about this. Many airline companies were doomed to fail long before this crisis. It is simply unsustainable to keep bailing out airline after airline, bail out after bail out. People are flying less due to the negative effects, we know flying is terrible for the environment. If anything good comes out of this crisis, it will be a welcome reduction in CO2 emissions and NO2. Instead, we should use the money as relief for the poorest and most vulnerable, whilst also using it to try and find some kind of sustainable, more secure employment for former airline employees. It's harsh, but the airline industry has had more than enough bailouts, it is incredulous to see Branson asking for £7.5bn for his stupid company when our NHS and nation is in crisis. People and planet before profit.
2% of all human induced CO2 emissions come from aviation. Transport in general - which includes road vehicles - accounts for roughly 17% of emissions, and just over one-tenth of that comes from aviation. It’s a substantial amount of emissions nonetheless, but a sense of perspective is needed here.

Aviation is a ‘dirty’ industry thats for sure - with aviation emissions around 70% higher than they were in 2005. But we need to be realistic - this is an industry that provides millions of jobs worldwide. The UK has the 2nd largest aviation industry worldwide, supporting 350,000~ jobs up and down the country.

It’s not true that less people are flying - passenger numbers have increased by roughly 7-8% annually since 2006. Passenger demand roughly double every 15 years - it’s a mammoth industry that is only set to grow over the next few decades. The industry plays a vital role in linking populations worldwide and facilitating globalisation which is a key factor in driving GDP growth.

The last round of bailouts were in 2001 - almost 20 years ago following the shock of 9/11. It’s not strictly true to say that there are rounds upon rounds of bailouts that are needed to prop the industry up. For clarity here I’m not talking about small airliners - I’m talking about extensive bailouts to propr the industry up (this seems to be a conversation about the industry as a whole, not just airlines).

There’s definitely a push from within the industry to decarbonise. And it needs to happen. As manufacturers invest in R&D and develop the next generation of aircraft (expected in the mid-2020s), efficiency will be at the forefront of the new wave of technology. I hope they can deliver!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
60.12%
No (69)
39.88%

Watched Threads