holly.567
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I brought my car summer last year and was told they did an MOT then and I have a sheet saying to renew my MOT on 23.7.20 but on DVSA it says it expired on the 5.3. Evan halshaw haven’t told me the MOT needs redoing but I’m scared I’m driving it and it doesn’t have an MOT and I don’t want a fine. Help!
Joe1000000
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At some point the car place made a mistake, either not doing an MOT when they should have, or not submitting the paperwork (which is essentially the same as the first option. It doesn't matter what your bit of paper says, the DVLA date on the website is the corrrect one, and the one the Police would use if they stop you.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by holly.567)
I brought my car summer last year and was told they did an MOT then and I have a sheet saying to renew my MOT on 23.7.20 but on DVSA it says it expired on the 5.3. Evan halshaw haven’t told me the MOT needs redoing but I’m scared I’m driving it and it doesn’t have an MOT and I don’t want a fine. Help!
Is this mystical slip of paper a test certificate?
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah use the date on https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history, don't go by anything a 3rd party tells you. Get it booked in pronto if needed.

Tbh I suspect you'd have no luck claiming you'd been misled about the MOT since the info is online and it would seen as your responsibility. :/
ThiagoBrigido
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by holly.567)
Just take to the garage and do it!
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do not drive it anywhere without an MOT.

The only journey you can make in a car with no MOT is directly from where it is parked now to an MOT test centre for a test that you have pre-booked with them.

There are no ifs or buts or exceptions to these rules. No excuses either such as "the garage I bought it from said I didn't need to MOT it until July".

If you get stopped by the police or involved in an accident you will also be liable for driving with no insurance. As your insurance is conditional on you having an MOT. The cost of getting caught is not worth the risk. Plus there's the safety aspect for you. The MOT test does do a number of basic safety checks on your car and would be worth doing every year regardless of whether it was a legal requirement or not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads