plushyjames
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm currently about to graduate with a 2.1 in Maths and Econ from a RG, and due to coronavirus I'm expecting a downturn in grad hires and since I'm struggling to get a job it might be a good idea for me to look at doing a masters so I don't waste a year. Also because I've found what I enjoy in what I study!

I'm looking at data science/stats/mathematical finance masters but have a few questions...

- have I left it too late?
- which unis should I be looking at?
- is it difficult to get onto a program?

Some specific programs I've been looking at are:
Statistics at Warwick
Statistics and Applied Probability at Nottingham
Data Science and Statistics at Bath
Statistics at UCL
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by plushyjames)
I'm currently about to graduate with a 2.1 in Maths and Econ from a RG, and due to coronavirus I'm expecting a downturn in grad hires and since I'm struggling to get a job it might be a good idea for me to look at doing a masters so I don't waste a year. Also because I've found what I enjoy in what I study!

I'm looking at data science/stats/mathematical finance masters but have a few questions...

Statistics at Warwick
Statistics at UCL
- have I left it too late? No
- which unis should I be looking at? You need to decide this, but with a 2.1 from a RG uni you can probably apply to most unis, the ones you've highlighted are excellent academic/careers based choices (its probably too late for Oxbridge, Imperial and a 2.1 is likely too low anyway)
- is it difficult to get onto a program? No, its easier then undergrad if you have the required grades, you have no hope without a 2.1 but with a 2.1 I suspect most unis will accept you, its only Oxbridge/Imperial or similar where masters is very strict, most people find with a solid undergrad, decent cover letter and reference getting offers shouldn't be a problem.
University of Bath Postgraduate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by plushyjames)

Statistics at Warwick
Statistics at UCL
Hi plushyjames !
I can give you some information about postgraduate courses at the University of Bath that will hopefull help.

Have I left it too late?
Not at all, the University of Bath is accepting new master's applications to start this year. The deadline to apply for Bath is by 30 June (international students) and 31 August (Home/EU students). Other universities may have different deadlines for applying.

Which Unis Should I be looking at?
The University of Bath offers various courses that fits your criteria, including: MSc Data Science and Statistics (with or without a placement year), MSc Finance, and the new MSc Economics for Business Intelligence and Systems starting in September 2020 (the tuition fees for this course are higher however there are substantial scholarships for 2020 entry).
More information on each course can be found here:
MSc Data Science and Statistics
Msc Finance
MSc Economics for Business Intelligence and Systems Video introduction

Is it difficult to get onto a program?
Entry requirements are listed on each course page, and for these courses at Bath you will need a 2.1 or above with a strong quantitative background. Some courses are more competitive than others, however if you have any questions about application advice or entry requirements I'd recommend you contact the universities you are considering. You can contact the University of Bath by emailing: [email protected]

Hope this helps!

Ollie
Msc Engineering Business Management
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (44)
59.46%
No (30)
40.54%

Watched Threads