What is a decent laptop you can get for a fairly low price?

Watch
rj23
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m looking to get a new laptop as my old laptop has got problems.
What would be a budget-friendly laptop to get?
Also , which brands are the best to look out for?
rj23
Rep:
?
Any1?
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by rj23)
well what's your budget?

i would hesitate to recommend a laptop below £450 although you can get some really good ones for that price, maybe £400 minimum
rj23
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
well what's your budget?

i would hesitate to recommend a laptop below £450 although you can get some really good ones for that price, maybe £400 minimum
Around £450 then.The laptop doesn’t have to be super advanced.Im just looking for a basic one which gets the job done and is quality for the price.
username5204820
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by rj23)
Can you clarify a number of points for us? Specifically:

What do you mean by "decent"? What sort of things do you need the laptop for? Are you a student, if so what course(s)? Are you looking for a laptop that'll handle light work (word docs, web browsing) or more demanding tasks (gaming, photo/video editing)?

What do you mean by "decent price" and "budget friendly"? In other words, what actually is your budget?

Your current laptop has problems. What do you mean by this? The most cheapest option will always be to keep your existing device, so what exactly is wrong with your current laptop? Even if it isn't a great laptop, if there's room to fix whatever is wrong with it then that may be a better option than buying a new device.

In terms of which brands to look out for, there are no right answers. Everyone has brands they like and dislike, but on balance no brand is really the one to look out for. I'm generally a fan of Dell devices (the Inspiron is one of my most common recommendations), because they have a slightly better user experience and build quality compared to their competitors. However it often means they're a bit more expensive, and that may not make them suitable depending on your budget. It's more likely you'll end up with a more budget device from someone like HP or Acer, or maybe even a used ThinkPad if your budget is too low. But that's besides the point, because you should never be choosing a laptop based on brand. You should be choosing one based on features. And when you're on a budget you choose a laptop by looking for the features you value most and cutting out whatever you can live without. With that in mind, along with the above questions it'd be useful to know what sort of things you're looking for in a laptop. For example does it need to be portable, or would you be content with a larger/heavier laptop if it were better value for money?

I appreciate there are a lot of questions here (normally we ask people to fill in the laptop recommendation form so we can gather this information) but it's nigh impossible to give a good recommendation without understanding what it is you want.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by rj23)
Around £450 then.The laptop doesn’t have to be super advanced.Im just looking for a basic one which gets the job done and is quality for the price.
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...93703-pdt.html
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I wouldn't be able to justify - for the vast majority of people, especially students - spending MORE than £350.

IE £350ish is a sensible maximum budget for a laptop.

For less than £350 you can get a HP 850 or 840 or 830 G5 from ebay. For less than £160 you can get a Lenovo L450 from ebay.

You can also get laptops for free by writing to the IT Departments in large organisations and asking if they have any laptops they are looking to dispose of, that you could have.

The laptops to go for are business models from Lenovo, HP and Dell. These 3 companies have most of the global market share. Their business laptops are their big sellers. It's a competitive market and laptops in this segment need to be properly engineered to stand the test of time.

Edit: Also, BTW, what make and model is your old laptop and what issues are you having with it?
If we could get it fully working and maybe speed it up for £0 to £80, would you be happy to carry on using your existing laptop?
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 7 months ago
rj23
Rep:
?
I’ll be looking at the HP850,HP840,HP830G5 & Lenovo L450 laptops only a bit then and try to compare.

So are all four of those laptops good then for basic features?

I just need a normal laptop for using Microsoft Word,google docs etc.I don’t need a gaming laptop.

Im also not looking for a detachable laptop or a touch screen laptop.I don’t want the screen to be too thin as with my old laptop I accidentally pressed too hard on the screen and that made the screen go all weird.(It basically zoomed in automatically by itself on random bits of text around the page, really quickly).

My old laptop is actually a HP pavilion laptop but I will really need a new one.Im not looking to stay with that same laptop.
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Laptop screens are relatively cheap and easy items to replace.

EG £40 for this 15.6" screen:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163264957060?chn=ps&norover=1&mk evt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=163264957060&ta rgetid=877514743599&device=c&mkt ype=pla&googleloc=9046671&poi=&c ampaignid=9437711009&mkgroupid=1 01485162971&rlsatarget=aud-629407027425la-877514743599&abcId=1140496&merch antid=101452161&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjc fzBRCHARIsAO-1_OqZ8TjRmj5NW-zYpCPvk-zWRwJVB6YdU4Egt49k4_ij-jkKGnMOZo8aAtOsEALw_wcB

Your Pavilion is more of a consumer grade laptop than a business one, but it still should be fine and blisteringly quick for web browsing and word processing. If it's not blisteringly quick I can tell you how to make it so. If you have a mechanical hard drive in it, I'll tell you how to get and fit a much faster SSD one. I'll also tell you how to scrub everything off your hard drive and reinstall windows.

Think of this as you getting a "new" laptop by spending £40 to £80 on your old one.

Are there any other issues with your HP Pavilion apart from the broken screen?

Edit: And yes the HP 850, 840 and 830 G5's are all very nice, properly engineered business laptops. They are totally and utterly massively overspecced for your browsing and word processing needs. The Lenovo L450, with an SSD hard drive is overspecced for your needs as well. The L450 has a more plasticky lid and chassis than the HP's and is heavier with the desirable large battery option, that gives it a huge amount of time it will keep running without needing to be charged.
There are also plenty of other good business laptop deals to be had on ebay. As well as a lot of stuff that is overpriced for what it is. Some sellers on there are greedy. Avoid buying from a greedy seller. And avoid bidding too high on auction items. A bit of patience gets you the very best ebay deals.
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 7 months ago
rj23
Rep:
?
My HP pavilion laptop does have other issues like the charger not working but to be honest that laptop is quite old anyway.Ive had it for quite a few years now.Im looking for a new one.I don’t want to make the old one better or anything like that.There’s no point.I might as well get a new one.

Anyway,I did some research and did a quiz for which laptop to get.It suggested an ‘ASUS Chromebook C523NA’.
Would you say that it’s a good computer for my basic requirements?

Also ,would you say it’s worth getting Microsoft Office.Personally,I doubt I’d use it a lot.I would only probably use Word when sending CV’s and that’s about it.As it’s better to send CV’s in word format than PDF(Google docs format) as it’s more likely to get picked up by ATS.I don’t see myself using Excel at home.

Also,If I get a chromebook.Can I still use some form of word and excel just in case?And will I still be able to create CV word documents and save them as well as practising Excel formulas?
Last edited by rj23; 7 months ago
username5204820
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by rj23)
Anyway,I did some research and did a quiz for which laptop to get.It suggested an ‘ASUS Chromebook C523NA’.
I can't comment on that Chromebook specifically, but a Chromebook is certainly a valid alternative. They wouldn't be my first choice due to how constricting they are (I'd always prefer a Windows device), but if all you want is basic word processing and web browsing then you can get by just fine. Albeit there will be compromises, such as limited on board storage forcing you to use the cloud (and by extension stay Internet connected), limited app selection, fairly poor hardware and so on.

(Original post by rj23)
Also ,would you say it’s worth getting Microsoft Office.Personally,I doubt I’d use it a lot.I would only probably use Word when sending CV’s and that’s about it.As it’s better to send CV’s in word format than PDF(Google docs format) as it’s more likely to get picked up by ATS.I don’t see myself using Excel at home.
If you're not going to use it then no, paying for Office probably isn't worth it. A note on sending CVs, it's not a hard and fast rule that the Word docx format is best. Unless specificed otherwise, sending a PDF is best because you can guarantee the other person will see exactly what you send them. PDF is universal, the many document formats are not.

(Original post by rj23)
Also,If I get a chromebook.Can I still use some form of word and excel just in case?And will I still be able to create CV word documents and save them as well as practising Excel formulas?
You would still have a few options for using Word and Excel. If your Chromebook had access to the Google Play Store you could install the Android based apps, although these are subscription based. If you only need lightweight usage then you can use Office Online by signing into a Microsoft account. It's a stipped down but completely free version. That said, Google Docs et al are also valid options for light usage; Google Docs even gives you the option to download the document in various other formats including docx (Word format), PDF and so on.
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by rj23)
My HP pavilion laptop does have other issues like the charger not working but to be honest that laptop is quite old anyway.Ive had it for quite a few years now.Im looking for a new one.I don’t want to make the old one better or anything like that.There’s no point.I might as well get a new one.

If it's the charger that's not working, you can buy replacements off ebay for like £10.
If it's something on the motherboard that's not charging the battery, then the laptop is BER (Beyond Economical Repair)
If the battery is not accepting any charge because it's goosed it'd be about £40 to replace it plus a few minutes work.

The Asus Chromebook would be OK if you could get one for less than £100. And if you could live with the lack of versatility of the Chromebook. Otherwise for £150 to £350, you might as well get a nice business laptop instead.

The quiz that you took, just goes to show how stupid online quizzes are. Because it won't take into account the great laptop deals you can get on ebay.

My laptop is a 9 years old HP Elitebook. It works fine. I'll keep using it till it goes BER.
It's easy to fall into the marketing trap of wanting to buy the latest and trendiest laptop. I've seen friends replace perfectly good laptops and desktops for the flimsiest of reasons. Their money, their choice.
However a laptop is a tool for a job. And for your browsing and word processing needs, just about any business laptop from the last 10 years (with an SSD fitted) would be as fast as a brand new £2000 laptop (give or take a few seconds when powering it on).

If your laptop really is BER, it'd be nice to get you one that will have give you 10 years of trouble free use. Buy right, buy once. Buy wrong, buy twice.
Which is why I recommend business laptops such as HP Elitebooks over consumer grade laptops, such as HP Pavilions.

MS Office is worth having if you can get it for free. Or for a one-off payment of like £50. Do you have MS Office on your old laptop, and could you simply transfer the license to your new laptop?
Libre Office is a fine free alternative to MS Office. You can save documents like your CV in Word format. I've been using Libre Office for a few years now. I slightly prefer MS Word. But it's not like a big enough preference for me to spend more than £10 per PC on Word.
For email, I like MS Outlook, but eM Client and Thunderbird are good enough free alternatives.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (92)
13.86%
I'm not sure (31)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (213)
32.08%
I have already dropped out (15)
2.26%
I'm not a current university student (313)
47.14%

Watched Threads