The Student Room Group

Physics help ???

To trigger a particular nuclear reaction, a deuterium nucleus (same charge as the proton, but twice the mass) needs to have a kinetic energy of 4.0×10^−13J. What accelerating voltage is needed?
E = eV
I'm guessing the voltage needed is KE/ elementary charge?
So the answer would be 2.5x10^6V
The kinetic energy has to be equal as the electric energy, otherwise the nucleus can't be triggered. It is:

E = KE =>

q*U = 1/2*m*v²

That is the approach. Convert to the accelerating voltage U. The charge q is the one of a proton, that has to be put in this quantity. The clue of the twice proton mass m does not matter.

Put the value for kinetic energy in the convert equation and divide by the charge q.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by pastelsun
E = eV
I'm guessing the voltage needed is KE/ elementary charge?
So the answer would be 2.5x10^6V

Kinetic Energy divided by elementary charge is what I got as solution too. Well, I guess this is done.
Original post by Orss_
To trigger a particular nuclear reaction, a deuterium nucleus (same charge as the proton, but twice the mass) needs to have a kinetic energy of 4.0×10^−13J. What accelerating voltage is needed?

ask physnoble
Original post by Orss_

ask physnobel (P +N in caps)

Quick Reply

Latest