The Student Room Group

Revision tips for English Literature GCSE?

Hi all,

Since it's just a couple of months before our GCSE's, I just have a question about English Literature. May I know how do you personally revise and study for English Literature?

I personally do the Edexcel exams and I study Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, Conflict Poetry and Unseen Poetry.
I usually use the CGP Text Guides, watch clips on platforms like GCSEPod and Massolit, and just by Re-reading all the texts, plays and novels again before the exams.
Well, that's about me but how do you? (any flashcards, past papers, notes, etc.?)

Feel free to comment on your revision methods, and in this way, we can get to look at each-others' revision tips which altogether, will make all our revision better!

Already completed your GCSE's? In that case, feel free to tell us how you revised and succeeded in your exams!

All the Best :smile:
I did GCSE literature last year and I got a 9. I predominantly based my revision on quote revision and the ability to get as much as you can from the quotes, even if it is a possible thing that the author is trying to say. Also, try to get quotes which can branch into a variety of different topics so that it is more versatile and makes it easier to revise quotes.
Also, try to get about of practise in writing essays and structuring your essay so that u can write as much as you can about that quote and everything that can be gained from the author, for example like the effect on reader, context and writers intention
Original post by AchyutChaudhary
Hi all,

Since it's just a couple of months before our GCSE's, I just have a question about English Literature. May I know how do you personally revise and study for English Literature?

I personally do the Edexcel exams and I study Macbeth, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, Conflict Poetry and Unseen Poetry.
I usually use the CGP Text Guides, watch clips on platforms like GCSEPod and Massolit, and just by Re-reading all the texts, plays and novels again before the exams.
Well, that's about me but how do you? (any flashcards, past papers, notes, etc.?)

Feel free to comment on your revision methods, and in this way, we can get to look at each-others' revision tips which altogether, will make all our revision better!

Already completed your GCSE's? In that case, feel free to tell us how you revised and succeeded in your exams!

Already done my GCSEs.

Your current revision sounds good, a couple of things I’d add would be:

- Use Mr Bruff, Stacey Reay and Mr Salles’ YouTube channels
- Do lots of practice questions and get feedback from teachers
- Do mini essay plans or make bullet point notes on key themes/characters etc
- Reread the texts as many times as possible to memorise and understand as much as you can

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions! :smile:
Original post by AchyutChaudhary
Hi all,

Hey I’m doing the exact same board as u and the exact same texts. I’ll say I’m decent at English but I really want to improve. I haven’t done much revision tho. How do you use the cgp revision guide? Do u make notes with it? How have u revised up till this point? Sorry for all the questions 😂
Original post by Mona123456
Already done my GCSEs.

Your current revision sounds good, a couple of things I’d add would be:

- Use Mr Bruff, Stacey Reay and Mr Salles’ YouTube channels
- Do lots of practice questions and get feedback from teachers
- Do mini essay plans or make bullet point notes on key themes/characters etc
- Reread the texts as many times as possible to memorise and understand as much as you can

Good luck and let me know if you have any specific questions! :smile:

How would u use those youtubers? Would u watch their videos and make them into notes/midamos?
Original post by Anonymus7652526
How would u use those youtubers? Would u watch their videos and make them into notes/midamos?

Mr Bruff - I used his videos for structure and for understand complicated scenes/themes as especially for Shakespearean texts his videos are very clear and helpful.

Mr Salles - I used his videos for higher grade themes analysis and creative writing tips.

Stacey Reay - I used her videos, especially the grade 7-9 poetry videos, for higher level language and structure analysis and consideration of author’s purpose/messages.

I made bullet point pages of notes with key quotes and structural/language analysis, almost like planning an essay paragraph. Sometimes I’d do these notes by poem, sometimes by character etc so it varied depending on the text.

Quick Reply

Latest