The Student Room Group

Politics & Economics at LSE or Economics at UCL?

Hi all! I have received an offer from LSE to study Politics & Economics and I have also received one from UCL to study Economics. Considering I hope to pursue a career in accounting/finance/banking etc. which university should I choose as my firm?
Reply 1
I vote LSE
Reply 2
Original post by h3110
I vote LSE

Thanks for the quick reply :smile: May I ask why you'd choose LSE?
Reply 3
for getting into accounting/finance/banking I think it's slightly better than UCL
and if you want to study an economics related degree, LSE is the place to do it

there are also opportunities to switch degrees in some cases, i think you could possibly switch from politics and econ to straight econ after your first year if you wanted
Reply 4
Original post by h3110
for getting into accounting/finance/banking I think it's slightly better than UCL
and if you want to study an economics related degree, LSE is the place to do it

there are also opportunities to switch degrees in some cases, i think you could possibly switch from politics and econ to straight econ after your first year if you wanted

Ah I see. Thank you!
Reply 5
i am facing a similar issue. choosing between Politics and Econ at LSE and PPE at UCL. I know employability wise everybody seems to say LSE, but I feel like workwise it is really intense and having been at a school with a crazy workload I'm not sure I want to do that anymore. Does anyone know how many lectures/seminars there are for PPE at UCL / what the workload is like (Essays per week and stuff?)
Reply 6
I decided to put LSE as my firm - it has kinda always been my dream university. I heard from an LSE student with friends at UCL that UCL tends to have an easier workload than LSE and you tend to have a better social life at UCL. Employability wise, I guess LSE and UCL are sorta in the same league. So if workload is the deciding factor for you, I suggest going for UCL. However. I have nothing to back that except a students experience, so make sure to do thorough research!! Good luck :smile:
LSE is the school for careers in IB/finance/accounting, it's the biggest feeder to those industries for proportion of graduates. It has a bigger culture of like-minded individuals which may/may not help you (e.g. you might hate competitive environments).

But rep-wise, it's not going to make a difference realistically. They're both top schools.
Reply 8
The only thing about LSE is they apparently neglect students for their own research and student satisfaction rates are really low.

And it’s mainly international students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending