The Student Room Group

Psychology 9 mark question

Can anyone please help me with psychology? I am not sure how to do this.... if anyone could guide me through it PLEASE HELP ME!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH

The question:

Adelyn is researching the role of interference in short-term memory recall. She
conducts a laboratory experiment where participants recall words from a word list.
Participants count backwards from 100 for 30 seconds before they recall the words.
The number of words recalled is counted. Adelyn then compares her results to a
group of participants who recalled the words immediately.
Those who counted backwards recalled fewer words than those who recalled the
words immediately. Adelyn uses her results to conclude that interference prevents
words from remaining in short-term memory and prevents transfer to long-term
memory.
Adelyn’s research and explanation of memory could be considered reductionist.
Assess whether reductionism is useful in cognitive psychology.
Okay so you would start with an intro, and then first para about what reductionism is and how this research is reductionist (it only focuses on cognitive aspect, doesn't look at other factors).

Pros of reductionism: scientific - breaking complicated behaviours down to small parts means that they can be scientifically tested. Then, over time, explanations based on scientific evidence will emerge.

Focus - Can study things that can be incredibly varied and complex such as the human mind and behavior, and break them down into smaller parts that are easier to investigate. It allows researchers to focus on a specific problem.

Cons: lacks validity - e.g. we can see how brain responds to particular musical sounds by viewing it in a scanner, but how you feel when you hear certain pieces of music is not something a scanner can ever reveal. Just because a part of the brain that is connected with fear is activated while listening to a piece of music does not necessarily mean that you feel afraid. In this case, being reductionist is not a valid way of measuring feelings.

Does not allow us to identify why behaviours happen - e.g. in this case: yes they remembered less words but it can not definitively say it's because of interference; by being reductionist we may be asking smaller, more specific questions and therefore not addressing the bigger issue of why we behave as we do.

Incomplete explanations - not considering other variables

(Pros and cons were copied and pasted so you could have all the info)

Conclusion: it is useful because it's important to understand brain processes. however, it should be considered with other approaches to allow a view of the bigger picture.
Reply 2
Original post by tulipsinrain
okay so you would start with an intro, and then first para about what reductionism is and how this research is reductionist (it only focuses on cognitive aspect, doesn't look at other factors).

Pros of reductionism: Scientific - breaking complicated behaviours down to small parts means that they can be scientifically tested. Then, over time, explanations based on scientific evidence will emerge.

Focus - can study things that can be incredibly varied and complex such as the human mind and behavior, and break them down into smaller parts that are easier to investigate. It allows researchers to focus on a specific problem.

Cons: Lacks validity - e.g. We can see how brain responds to particular musical sounds by viewing it in a scanner, but how you feel when you hear certain pieces of music is not something a scanner can ever reveal. Just because a part of the brain that is connected with fear is activated while listening to a piece of music does not necessarily mean that you feel afraid. In this case, being reductionist is not a valid way of measuring feelings.

Does not allow us to identify why behaviours happen - e.g. In this case: Yes they remembered less words but it can not definitively say it's because of interference; by being reductionist we may be asking smaller, more specific questions and therefore not addressing the bigger issue of why we behave as we do.

Incomplete explanations - not considering other variables

(pros and cons were copied and pasted so you could have all the info)

conclusion: It is useful because it's important to understand brain processes. However, it should be considered with other approaches to allow a view of the bigger picture.

thank you so much!! Life savor
Original post by marchc1
Can anyone please help me with psychology? I am not sure how to do this.... if anyone could guide me through it PLEASE HELP ME!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH

The question:

conducts a laboratory experiment where participants recall words from a word list.
Participants count backwards from 100 for 30 seconds before they recall the words.
words immediately. Adelyn uses her results to conclude that interference prevents
memory.

think about Murdock's serial curve experiment, they are quite similar.
Reply 4
Original post by marchc1
THANK YOU SO MUCH

The question:

memory.

Hi! I've been given a template from my phych teacher that may help you! So the first para should be one approach that is relevant to the question and you can make a point, explain it which is relevant to the approach, the second para should be a second point but from the same approach, explaining that point in relation, for the third para, you should explain your third point but from another approach, then the forth para you should relate back to the question and make one final point without making a new point!

I really hope this helps you and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending