Grace Millane's Murderer to Appeal Sentence and Conviction

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Despite admitting to killing her, even if he denies 'murder' (murder being a question of law), and having footage of him wheeling the poor girls corpse out in a suitcase he sees fit to waste the Kiwi taxpayers money, put the parents through even more hell and generally be a real *******.
I hope the **** rots. It's almost a pity the jails here aren't similar to the American et al. ones where a monstrosity such as this would not have lasted 5 minutes.

The killer of British backpacker Grace Millane has begun the process of appealing against his murder conviction and jail sentence, his barrister said.
Auckland-based Rachael Reed QC confirmed that an appeal had been filed in the New Zealand Court of Appeal.
The 28-year-old, who cannot be named, was jailed for at least 17 years for the murder last month.
He strangled Ms Millane in a hotel in Auckland, hid her body in a suitcase and buried it in bushland.
The man claimed the 21-year-old had died accidentally after the pair engaged in rough sex that went too far.
A jury in November rejected that argument and found the man guilty.

Murder typically comes with a life sentence in New Zealand. Prosecutors successfully argued that the man must serve 17 years before becoming eligible for parole.
Lawyers Ian Brookie and Ron Mansfield who led the defence during his trial, had asked for their then-client to serve 12 years, later indicating he would appeal.
In sentencing, Justice Simon Moore told the defendant his actions amounted to "conduct that underscores a lack of empathy and sense of self-entitlement and objectification".

After the sentencing, Grace's mother Gillian Millane, spoke to the court via a video-link and told the man: "Grace wasn't just my daughter. She was my friend. My very best friend.
"I am absolutely heartbroken that you have taken my daughter's future and robbed us of so many memories that we were going to create."
Det Insp Scott Beard of Auckland City Police said the death was "senseless and needless".

Ms Millane, from Wickford in Essex, met her killer on a dating app while travelling in Auckland in December 2018.
The pair spent the evening drinking before returning to the man's room in the CityLife hotel in central Auckland where he killed her.
He then disposed of her body by burying it in a suitcase in the Waitākere Ranges, a mountainous area outside the city.
He was found guilty of murder last year.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-51939561
Greywolftwo
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This case disgusts me to the core. He's not admitting to murder and thinks he can get away with the excuse of 'rough sex'. It's not just him that's used that defence in the past, there have been 23 accused who have been acquitted of murder for using that defence; what kind of jury would even see that as a valid excuse for murder?
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He should absolutely be allowed to appeal, it's the hallmark of a good and free society.

But when that fails he should have his sentence doubled.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (37)
61.67%
No (23)
38.33%

Watched Threads