The Student Room Group

What will happen with GcSe's and A levels?

My school has closed due to a high number of staff being in the high risk category if they got the virus. I'm now doing work on google classroom and teaching myself my subjects.
Will exams still happen in may and june?
Would we get predicted grades as we haven't received the face to face teaching we usually do as I find it hard not having lessons and teaching myself a subject.
Would exams be pushed foward to october, but would that mean uni would start later?
I know they haven't made any decisions yet but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks?
Thank you!
Keep safe
x
(edited 4 years ago)
I have the same problem, I'm supposed to be taking my exams in may but we have to wait until CIE, AQA and Edexcel decide on changing the dates. All I know for CIE is that they have given schools the opportunity to change the exams and the deadline for that is 17th of April. I think because the virus has not reached its peak beyond China there is a risk that it could become worse over the next few months and since there isn't a proper vaccine in place for everyone it doesn't look good. Also, being in an exam hall isn't ideal because we could catch the coronavirus and spread it to other people who could be more susceptible to the symptoms and unfortunately could die from it. My head of the sixth form believes that we should be back in school my April or May just in time for exams but I don't think that's a good idea as its too huge of a risk to open school again and we don't have full confirmation from the government that we would be allowed to open up again (i don't live in the UK). Hypothetically, if I would go to school and do the AS exams, I could potentially risk others around me because it's highly unlikely that no one in school (ages 3 to 18) would not catch the virus. In my household, I have parents and grandparents that could get the virus and it would be lethal for them so I wouldn't want to be put in a position where I would have to choose between going to school and doing my exams versus the health and safety of my family. So personally I think its best if we take our exams in Oct/Nov although it's not ideal but not worth the risk of getting the virus and infecting others whilst stressing over your family and your health and the stress of waiting for your grades in August to see if you passed your subjects.
Original post by erinwilliams17
My school has closed due to a high number of staff being in the high risk category if they got the virus. I'm now doing work on google classroom and teaching myself my subjects.
Will exams still happen in may and june?
Would we get predicted grades as we haven't received the face to face teaching we usually do as I find it hard not having lessons and teaching myself a subject.
Would exams be pushed foward to october, but would that mean uni would start later?
I know they haven't made any decisions yet but I'm curious to see what everyone thinks?
Thank you!
Keep safe
x

No-one knows how closely the progression of the virus and it's impacts will follow the models now used by the government advisors.

The prediction is for peak health impact to occur in June right at the time exams are due.

My interpretation (and it's only my opinion) will be that the Easter break will be a critical period when decisions will be made to keep all schools on extended closure. Many schools may still close before that though again, action will be dependent on how rapidly the virus progresses and will happen on an individual basis until some threshold is breached and the government forces closure.

As far as exams go, possibilities include deferring exams, lowering grade boundaries, assessment based on coursework etc.

The key thing is to keep going with your work because nothing is off the table including sitting your exams as scheduled.

You must keep preparing and not assume anything.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
No-one knows how closely the progression of the virus and it's impacts will follow the models now used by the government advisors.

The prediction is for peak health impact to occur in June right at the time exams are due.

My interpretation (and it's only my opinion) will be that the Easter break will be a critical period when decisions will be made to keep all schools on extended closure. Many schools may still close before that though again, action will be dependent on how rapidly the virus progresses and will happen on an individual basis until some threshold is breached and the government forces closure.

As far as exams go, possibilities include deferring exams, lowering grade boundaries, assessment based on coursework etc.

The key thing is to keep going with your work because nothing is off the table including sitting your exams as scheduled.

Yes very true, I will make sure i'm prepared for them. I think it's just the uncertainty of the future which is on peoples minds. Thank you for your opinion, stay safe.
Original post by study-granger
I have the same problem, I'm supposed to be taking my exams in may but we have to wait until CIE, AQA and Edexcel decide on changing the dates. All I know for CIE is that they have given schools the opportunity to change the exams and the deadline for that is 17th of April. I think because the virus has not reached its peak beyond China there is a risk that it could become worse over the next few months and since there isn't a proper vaccine in place for everyone it doesn't look good. Also, being in an exam hall isn't ideal because we could catch the coronavirus and spread it to other people who could be more susceptible to the symptoms and unfortunately could die from it. My head of the sixth form believes that we should be back in school my April or May just in time for exams but I don't think that's a good idea as its too huge of a risk to open school again and we don't have full confirmation from the government that we would be allowed to open up again (i don't live in the UK). Hypothetically, if I would go to school and do the AS exams, I could potentially risk others around me because it's highly unlikely that no one in school (ages 3 to 18) would not catch the virus. In my household, I have parents and grandparents that could get the virus and it would be lethal for them so I wouldn't want to be put in a position where I would have to choose between going to school and doing my exams versus the health and safety of my family. So personally I think its best if we take our exams in Oct/Nov although it's not ideal but not worth the risk of getting the virus and infecting others whilst stressing over your family and your health and the stress of waiting for your grades in August to see if you passed your subjects.

I'm doing my exams with WJEC so I have no clue what they're plans are. I totally agree would probably be best if we do them later on after the peak as I don't want to pass anything on to my grandparents amd parents as many of them do have health conditions. I think it's just the uncertainty as I'm in my last year of school. Stay safe!
Original post by uberteknik

Although I’m self isolating and revising like mád, i feel this uncertainty is such a strain on everyone. Surely the should just postpone them so schools can focus on keeping vulnerable/nhs workers children safe and fed.

If the gov’t knows peak due to hit at exam season why on earth would they not just postpone them. It’s getting really stupid and I hope that after today’s meeting we all know what we’re doing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending