I'm really confused about the coronavirus (covid 19)- How long should i self isolate?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Volunteer Note: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages.

on the gov.uk website it says: "if you live alone and you have symptoms of coronavirus illness (COVID-19), however mild, stay at home for 7 days from when your symptoms started. "

it also says: "f you live with others and you or one of them have symptoms of coronavirus, then all household members must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill"

- I'm someone who lives with my family thats showing symptoms, so i assume i stay at home for 14 days. (when it says "all household members" I assume that includes me as well as my family)

But then it also says: "for anyone in the household who starts displaying symptoms, they need to stay at home for 7 days from when the symptoms appeared, regardless of what day they are on in the original 14 day isolation period. (See ending isolation section below for more information

- So do I stay at home for 7 or 14 days? - and if it is 7 days, is there anything that could happen to make it 14 days - I don't wanna start spreading the virus.
Last edited by Jack22031994; 1 year ago
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but can you explain why it 14 when it says :"for anyone in the household who starts displaying symptoms, they need to stay at home for 7 days from when the symptoms appeared, regardless of what day they are on in the original 14 day isolation period. (See ending isolation section below for more information" - I'm starting to display symtoms
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe it's 14 days because that's the length of time necessary to isolate to ensure you cannot infect anyone else.

After 14 days you are not contagious.
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but can you explain why it 14 when it says :"for anyone in the household who starts displaying symptoms, they need to stay at home for 7 days from when the symptoms appeared, regardless of what day they are on in the original 14 day isolation period. (See ending isolation section below for more information" - I'm starting to display symtoms
If you are the first in your family to display symptoms, you (and your whole family) need to self-isolate for 14 days. If you are self-isolating already because someone in your family started having symptoms a few days ago, and you have now started having symptoms, you need to self isolate for a further 7 days even if you have been self-isolating for 14 days already.
Anonymous #1
If you are the first in your family to display symptoms, you (and your whole family) need to self-isolate for 14 days. If you are self-isolating already because someone in your family started having symptoms a few days ago, and you have now started having symptoms, you need to self isolate for a further 7 days even if you have been self-isolating for 14 days already.
I'm sure youre right, but I'm just checking - does everyone else agree with this? - cos my school letter says: "f you live with others and you or one of them have symptoms of coronavirus, then all household members must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill."

and "For anyone in the household who starts displaying symptoms, they need to stay at home for 7 days from when the symptoms appeared, regardless of what day they are on in the original 14 day isolation period – make sure you have familiarised yourself with the Ending self-isolation and household isolation advice."

- I'm just being cautious
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sure youre right, but I'm just checking - does everyone else agree with this? - cos my school letter says: "f you live with others and you or one of them have symptoms of coronavirus, then all household members must stay at home and not leave the house for 14 days. The 14-day period starts from the day when the first person in the house became ill."

and "For anyone in the household who starts displaying symptoms, they need to stay at home for 7 days from when the symptoms appeared, regardless of what day they are on in the original 14 day isolation period – make sure you have familiarised yourself with the Ending self-isolation and household isolation advice."

To me, it sounds like you need to be at home for a minimum of 14 days and a maximum of 21.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you’ve now started to develop symptoms, you need to isolate for 7 days from when they started. The asymptomatic members still need 14 days unless they themselves develop symptoms.
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Yes. I agree. 14 days. If you begin to show symptoms yourself then you should isolate for a further 7. This will be a maximum of 21 days if you’re unlucky enough to get ill on day 14.
Having said that, even after that time you shouldn’t go out if you still feel unwell
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Etomidate)
If you’ve now started to develop symptoms, you need to isolate for 7 days from when they started. The asymptomatic members still need 14 days unless they themselves develop symptoms.
Even if I'm the 1st one in my family?. Also, could anything happen to make that 14 days?
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Even if I'm the 1st one in my family?. Also, could anything happen to make that 14 days?
If you are the first one in your house to have symptoms, you isolate for 7 days and the others for 14 days. If the others then get symptoms they isolate for 7 days from the start of the symptoms, even if that happens on day 1 or day 14.
Astraea56
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I might be wrong but I'll try and explain. So if someone else in your household had symptoms you would have to isolate for 14 days from when their symptoms started, as this is the incubation period of the disease. This means that it could take 14 days for your symptoms to show if you caught it from the infected member of your household so you have to wait that long to ensure you dont have it and therefore wont spread it if you go out. Anyone who has symptoms has to isolate for 7 days, as this is (I presume) the amount of time a person is infectious for. So if someone in your house has symptoms you must isolate for 14 days, if you then get symptoms you must isolate for the next 7 days. If these 7 days fall within the 14 day period that you had to isolate for anyway, then your total isolation time would remain at 14 days. If, for example, you showed symptoms on the 14th day, you would have to isolate for a FURTHER 7 days, and I guess anyone you live would have to isolate for another 14 days.
Please know that this is just my understanding and I may be wrong.
Last edited by Astraea56; 1 year ago
Astraea56
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To me, it sounds like you need to be at home for a minimum of 14 days and a maximum of 21.
Wow, that is so much clearer than my attempt at explaining.
Last edited by Astraea56; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (6)
8.45%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
70.42%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (10)
14.08%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (4)
5.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.41%

Watched Threads