Research cancelled because of coronavirus

Watch
RustyIron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I'm a masters student and my research trip abroad has been cancelled because of coronavirus, which is upsetting not only because I was looking forward to the field experience but also because I now have no project and hand in deadlines still looming. With everyone now working from home and myself in self isolation I'm having trouble even contacting supervisors. Anyone else find themselves in this weird position? Anyone got anything encouraging that could help me deal with this situation?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by RustyIron)
I'm a masters student and my research trip abroad has been cancelled because of coronavirus, which is upsetting not only because I was looking forward to the field experience but also because I now have no project and hand in deadlines still looming. With everyone now working from home and myself in self isolation I'm having trouble even contacting supervisors. Anyone else find themselves in this weird position? Anyone got anything encouraging that could help me deal with this situation?
This is clearly not a great situation, BUT many many other students will be in the same boat, so the university is very likely to be developing plans for how to handle this kind of problem right now. Staff are also having to work at home, look after families etc while dealing with a big pile of time critical emails, so thats going to slow replies down. I would do the following, identify a version of your project that is in the same broad area but can be done from literature resources / computer modelling rather than field work, develop a new plan of action and forward to your supervisor for comment. Its always easier to respond to a student who says "I am stuck, should I do plan a, b, or c" rather than "I am stuck !".

Best of luck, I just had to shut down several lab based masters projects I was supervising on short notice, so I understand the situation, your supervisor will as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (18)
18.56%
I'm not sure (2)
2.06%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (28)
28.87%
I have already dropped out (3)
3.09%
I'm not a current university student (46)
47.42%

Watched Threads