The Student Room Group

Some Cambridge colleges send out brutal 'go away' messages to students

The VC of Cambridge University sent round an email on Friday advising international students against international travel.

Newnham College, Pembroke and others followed this by sending out blunt emails telling international students to go home. Many can't travel - many others come from countries with health systems in crisis.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/18/cambridge-colleges-criticised-for-asking-students-to-leave-over-coronavirus

Universities and colleges must take responsibility for the international students they owe a duty of care to.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The VC of Cambridge University sent round an email on Friday advising international students against international travel.

Newnham College, Pembroke and others followed this by sending out blunt emails telling international students to go home. Many can't travel - many others come from countries with health systems in crisis.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/mar/18/cambridge-colleges-criticised-for-asking-students-to-leave-over-coronavirus

Universities and colleges must take responsibility for the international students they owe a duty of care to.

How very supportive of them ... not.
Original post by Muttley79
How very supportive of them ... not.

Not hard to see institutional racism in it.
Not hard to see institutional racism in it.

I think it's panic and headless chicken syndrome - I would have thought Cambridge could do better than this.
Original post by Muttley79
I think it's panic and headless chicken syndrome - I would have thought Cambridge could do better than this.

You would think. They don't seem very calm, reasoned and measured, do they.

Really sad that Cambridge is just like every other institution.
Original post by Wired_1800
Really sad that Cambridge is just like every other institution.

Actually worse than many in this case.
It's not their finest hour, I have to say. Bit disappointed, to be honest.
Actually worse than many in this case.

To kick out the international students who pay 3 or even 4 times the fees of a home student is bad.
I don't know which colleges these are, but note that there are 31 colleges and not all of them are like this. Many colleges I know, for example Fitzwilliam college, are not kicking out student, instead, they are providing accommodation and support to students who cannot travel home for whatever reasons. Do not generalise the colleges!
Original post by JoBy1NoBa
I don't know which colleges these are, but note that there are 31 colleges and not all of them are like this. Many colleges I know, for example Fitzwilliam college, are not kicking out student, instead, they are providing accommodation and support to students who cannot travel home for whatever reasons. Do not generalise the colleges!

Good for them. I said 'some Cambridge colleges' in the OP title.
Good for them. I said 'some Cambridge colleges' in the OP title.

Yes, I saw it. I am sorry if you are one of those affected international students. Don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm sure you're not the only one, so you should contact the representatives for international students, CUSU, iCUSU, and your department. Things are changing quickly so the policies may change as well
(edited 4 years ago)
Based on this new university-level policy, the individual colleges must follow this so everyone should be accommodated and supported by their colleges. I hope you'll be fine soon!

"The University has asked all students who do not live permanently in Cambridge to return home, if they are able to do so. As colleges will likely be operating at a reduced capacity, it is important that they are able to prioritise students who have no other option but to remain in college accommodation. Therefore, if you do not live permanently in Cambridge and are able to return home safely, you should do so.

However, we know this will not be possible for all students, particularly for international students, estranged students and care leavers, postgraduate students, or students with family members who are self-isolating or in high-risk categories. If you live permanently in college accommodation or are unable to return home, you should continue to be accommodated and supported by your college.

International Students - if you are unable to return home due to travel restrictions, financial difficulties, or because it is not safe to do so, your college should continue to provide you with accommodation and support."
Original post by JoBy1NoBa
International Students - if you are unable to return home due to travel restrictions, financial difficulties, or because it is not safe to do so, your college should continue to provide you with accommodation and support."

It's good to have the official university policy. Now the university needs to explain it to the colleges and the colleges need to investigate why some of their most senior staff appear to have the sensitivity of a pack of hyenas.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending