The Student Room Group

Can I teach English with an IR degree?

Hi I am currently studying for a BA degree in International Relations. As I am thinking more and more about my future career, I feel drawn towards the idea of becoming a teacher. I really would love to teach English but understand you need a degree in the subject you want to teach. I have an A Level in English Lit (Grade A) and am under the impression I would therefore be able to do a SKE course to get me on an English PGCE. The thing I am most worried about is that I will not be employable without an English degree. Would it be more beneficial to do a masters in a literature course (if that is even possible without BA English) so that I have an official qualification in English or should I be looking at other careers/subjects to teach?
Original post by Sam.06
Hi I am currently studying for a BA degree in International Relations. As I am thinking more and more about my future career, I feel drawn towards the idea of becoming a teacher. I really would love to teach English but understand you need a degree in the subject you want to teach. I have an A Level in English Lit (Grade A) and am under the impression I would therefore be able to do a SKE course to get me on an English PGCE. The thing I am most worried about is that I will not be employable without an English degree. Would it be more beneficial to do a masters in a literature course (if that is even possible without BA English) so that I have an official qualification in English or should I be looking at other careers/subjects to teach?

The requirement is usually that 50% of your degree content relates to the subject you want to teach. You'd need to contact providers to see if they would accept you, even with an SKE, as a first step. If not, then a masters would probably be the way forward.

IME, once you have the teaching qualification, it should be possible to get a job, but may be a bit more difficult if you have an unrelated degree.
Original post by Sam.06

Hello @Sam.06

How far are you from completing your degree? (ie 2nd or 3rd year?)

You wouldn't be penalised regarding your degree subject once fully trained, but you would need to really carefully choose the teacher training course provider, as their entry requirements differ. You have a very strong A-Level and with an SKE course, there is no reason to think that you shouldn't or couldn't be an excellent English teacher.

I would certainly recommend you reach out for support from a Teacher Training adviser, as they can give you (free) help to choose your training provider and then create a really strong application. Register here or call 0800 389 2500.

All the best, Jane
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @Sam.06

How far are you from completing your degree? (ie 2nd or 3rd year?)

You wouldn't be penalised regarding your degree subject once fully trained, but you would need to really carefully choose the teacher training course provider, as their entry requirements differ. You have a very strong A-Level and with an SKE course, there is no reason to think that you shouldn't or couldn't be an excellent English teacher.

I would certainly recommend you reach out for support from a Teacher Training adviser, as they can give you (free) help to choose your training provider and then create a really strong application. Register here or call 0800 389 2500.

All the best, Jane

I can understand why you're saying he wouldn't be penalised, but I do know of schools that would probably not interview someone with a totally unrelated degree- especially early in their career.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I can understand why you're saying he wouldn't be penalised, but I do know of schools that would probably not interview someone with a totally unrelated degree- especially early in their career.

Hello @SarcAndSpark

When recruiting, schools are looking for the best fit for them. This will mean that potential applicants need to meet the demands of the essential criteria, but more importantly that the candidate has skills, qualities and experience that will fit well within a school community. Degree subject and class if often not considered in short-listing for roles as rather than qualifications, head-teachers are looking for people who can teach well. There will always be small numbers of exceptions to this rule!

Jane x
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @SarcAndSpark

When recruiting, schools are looking for the best fit for them. This will mean that potential applicants need to meet the demands of the essential criteria, but more importantly that the candidate has skills, qualities and experience that will fit well within a school community. Degree subject and class if often not considered in short-listing for roles as rather than qualifications, head-teachers are looking for people who can teach well. There will always be small numbers of exceptions to this rule!

Jane x

I'm just sharing my experience, from within a shortage subject. I know my HoD is still very keen to only employ people with relevant degrees- I don't think he's an exception locally.

Quick Reply

Latest