evelync12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
i did double science at gcse, so i never really got to grips with knowing the products of reactions such as metal oxides with acids ?
Im in year 13 now
can anyone offer help on how to know what the exact products are of a reaction?
for example
SO3 + 2KOH -> K2SO4 + H2O
how do you know K2SO4 and water are formed? like, i cant ever figure out what the chemical formula is of the product :/ like K2SO4?
im sorry if its really obvious and im probably missing fundemental knowledge but i cant see any explanation in the books
Last edited by evelync12; 1 year ago
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by evelync12)
i did double science at gcse, so i never really got to grips with knowing the products of reactions such as metal oxides with acids ?
Im in year 13 now
can anyone offer help on how to know what the exact products are of a reaction?
for example
SO3 + 2KOH -> K2SO4 + H2O
how do you know K2SO4 and water are formed? like, i cant ever figure out what the chemical formula is of the product :/ like K2SO4?
im sorry if its really obvious and im probably missing fundemental knowledge but i cant see any explanation in the books
I suspect you're doing AQA, in which case you should know that SO3 is an acidic gas. So, you've got an acid and a base -> salt + water. You might ask why K2SO4, but your answer comes in terms of oxidation numbers. You might think SO3 might be an oxidising agent, but KOH isn't going to be a reducing agent, so the S in SO3 and K2SO4 should have the same o.n.. Which they do.
evelync12
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Pigster)
I suspect you're doing AQA, in which case you should know that SO3 is an acidic gas. So, you've got an acid and a base -> salt + water. You might ask why K2SO4, but your answer comes in terms of oxidation numbers. You might think SO3 might be an oxidising agent, but KOH isn't going to be a reducing agent, so the S in SO3 and K2SO4 should have the same o.n.. Which they do.
thank you so much!
just found out my a level exams have been cancelled and im honestly gutted, i was hoping to do a lot better than my mocks but i wont have that chance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads