larbk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on what to do and who to ask, for a reference in support of my PGCE application. I was a quiet student in university, which meant I didn't frequent my lecturers and professors if it wasn't in class or through e-mail, and I just got on with my work rather than visit drop-ins or have 1 to 1 conversations with them.

This has led me to finding it hard to find an academic reference for a PGCE application. I've emailed all the lecturers who MAY remember me and have politely asked them for a reference however none have gotten back to me.

Would there be any other alternatives I could use that PGCE admissions would look at, and take seriously since it has only been 2 years since I have graduated university.

Would admissions just take previous managers?

Thanks for reading!
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by larbk)
Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on what to do and who to ask, for a reference in support of my PGCE application. I was a quiet student in university, which meant I didn't frequent my lecturers and professors if it wasn't in class or through e-mail, and I just got on with my work rather than visit drop-ins or have 1 to 1 conversations with them.

This has led me to finding it hard to find an academic reference for a PGCE application. I've emailed all the lecturers who MAY remember me and have politely asked them for a reference however none have gotten back to me.

Would there be any other alternatives I could use that PGCE admissions would look at, and take seriously since it has only been 2 years since I have graduated university.

Would admissions just take previous managers?

Thanks for reading!
Hello larbk

Have you been in employment since you've graduated? If so then use your employer, and if not then have you done any voluntary work? That would be a good option for a second referee. It's not compulsory that you have an academic reference.

If you'd like a teacher training adviser to look over your application and help you identify suitable references, then please register here or call 0800 389 2500

All the best,

Jane
larbk
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hello larbk

Have you been in employment since you've graduated? If so then use your employer, and if not then have you done any voluntary work? That would be a good option for a second referee. It's not compulsory that you have an academic reference.

If you'd like a teacher training adviser to look over your application and help you identify suitable references, then please register here or call 0800 389 2500
All the best,

Jane
Hi Jane,

Thanks so much for the reply, I currently have my duty manager down for a second referee, but would it be better do put him as my first and get the second one to provide a character reference?

Thanks so much for the reply again!
Regards,
Lauryn
Get into Teaching
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by larbk)
Hi Jane,

Thanks so much for the reply, I currently have my duty manager down for a second referee, but would it be better do put him as my first and get the second one to provide a character reference?

Thanks so much for the reply again!
Regards,
Lauryn
Hi Lauryn,

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable solution. Your referees will be asked to comment on your suitability of working with young people and so choose someone who can do so!

It's rather unclear how teacher training course providers will deliver their interviews. Some seem to be moving towards online or telephone options, so please do contact them to see what they plan to do.

Keep in touch with how it goes!

Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (289)
34.2%
No (556)
65.8%

Watched Threads