The Student Room Group

to all folks who were retaking a-levels this year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anisarahman0121
So I got an update from my centre, they said private candidates with no tuition will sit a mock in april and they will tell us the topics coming up, they are creating timetables etc this week. They will only let a few candidates in at a time and will all be separated.They will then give a predicted grade and send the mock results to exam boards.

What I'm confused about what materials can they use to sit the exam? If you're a resit applicant and already sat last years paper and the ones before it how will they create a mock with questions that havent been seen before??
So I got an update from my centre, they said private candidates with no tuition will sit a mock in april and they will tell us the topics coming up, they are creating timetables etc this week. They will only let a few candidates in at a time and will all be separated.They will then give a predicted grade and send the mock results to exam boards.

Well BOJO going to implement a full lockdown soon so I can't see how they are going to do that

😅😅 that’s a bit early

seems a little unrealistic, who is going to mark these, they’re going to need experts in all subjects and our exams were in June, so for them to do it in April is so unfair as were missing two months of revision?
Reply 584

this is exactly what mine told me on friday
For goodness sake, why can’t they just give us our ucas prediction😫😫 the awarding bodies should just use their common sense a little bit. So for someone like me who was 8 marks off an A last year, I should be given my A grade this year. Because all year I’ve been working my socks off to get an A* in maths. Oh I hope they do justice for us resitters xx
(edited 4 years ago)
One of my resit mates got emailed an exam that he has to do in exam conditions, they gave him the wrong exam board on accident so he can't do it. But they may have to resort to emailing to people with no prior mocks
Original post by ChickenBlen
One of my resit mates got emailed an exam that he has to do in exam conditions, they gave him the wrong exam board on accident so he can't do it. But they may have to resort to emailing to people with no prior mocks

Hmm interesting
Reply 588
my centre just told me they have absolutely no information for what to do with private candidates and so they don’t really have a plan as of yet
Update
I called up my centre (my old school) and they said that they'll be giving me a grade. I then checked Ucas' twitter and saw that they were particularly interested in private candidates with no school to refer to. I think there's a possibility that for resit candidates that have put their old school in their reference etc, their old school will be the one to make the grades.
Original post by Hopeful Medic 20
Update
I called up my centre (my old school) and they said that they'll be giving me a grade. I then checked Ucas' twitter and saw that they were particularly interested in private candidates with no school to refer to. I think there's a possibility that for resit candidates that have put their old school in their reference etc, their old school will be the one to make the grades.

how will they determine the grade??X
Reply 591

did they say what happens to those that have had tuition?
Update

Wow that just made my mood a whole lot better! X
Original post by Euphoria101
how will they determine the grade??X

Last years exam results (AAB)
I've been told that I'll most likely be given an A as that is what my ucas prediction is. My school are very strict with their predictions. I needed an a* for my firm but at this point, beggers can't be choosers
Original post by med123456^^
For goodness sake, why can’t they just give us our ucas prediction😫😫 the awarding bodies should just use their common sense a little bit. So for someone like me who was 8 marks off an A last year, I should be given my A grade this year. Because all year I’ve been working my socks off to get an A* in maths. Oh I hope they do justice for us resitters xx

In your case it would be fair, however, in many cases, it wouldn't. Many people get UCAS predictions that they do not deserve
Reply 595
Update

Did they say this will definitely be what they're doing? It's just confusing because some centres don't have a clue what they're doing yet which makes me think there hasn't been official confirmation from ofqual/exam boards on what to do so how is your school so sure.
Last years exam results (AAB)
I've been told that I'll most likely be given an A as that is what my ucas prediction is. My school are very strict with their predictions. I needed an a* for my firm but at this point, beggers can't be choosers

Do you think they'll do last years grade but one up? I haven't taken a year out just to say I haven't improved.
Original post by n.345
Did they say this will definitely be what they're doing? It's just confusing because some centres don't have a clue what they're doing yet which makes me think there hasn't been official confirmation from ofqual/exam boards on what to do so how is your school so sure.

According to my Head of Year, yes. Also, look at UCAS' reply to someone that queried for independent candidates. It could be implied that schools would take care of candidates that are doing their exams through them.
Original post by mat325h
Do you think they'll do last years grade but one up? I haven't taken a year out just to say I haven't improved.

I'd say it depends on what your school thinks. Take what I say with a grain of salt though
Well I just called my college and they have no official information from ofqual etc about what to do about resit candidates. Their advice was to just “keep on going with them”. God knows what that means.

Quick Reply

Latest