The Student Room Group

to all folks who were retaking a-levels this year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RdR2000
I don't understand which part of "All exams and assessments have been cancelled for 2020" you people don't get. There will not be any assessments, no mocks, nothing. So just please stop saying the same thing over and over again, it won't happen.

someone had to say it.
Original post by RdR2000
I don't understand which part of "All exams and assessments have been cancelled for 2020" you people don't get. There will not be any assessments, no mocks, nothing. So just please stop saying the same thing over and over again, it won't happen.

Periodddttttt😂😂
Original post by _xChlox_
No, I had no special considerations.

Why?
Original post by reganhusky
Special consideration is something stupid like 3% extra marks. They clearly would have got higher than an E if they got an A and A* in their last two mocks

Not necessarily. The link between mocks and the actual exam aren’t as rigid as people often claim.
it seems very unlikely we’ll be doing mocks in May. major events have been cancelled across the globe from sporting events to presidential primaries, so for mini exams going ahead is practically impossible, that’s why all exams were cancelled - it was a danger to hold them.
Original post by satsun
it seems very unlikely we’ll be doing mocks in May. major events have been cancelled across the globe from sporting events to presidential primaries, so for mini exams going ahead is practically impossible, that’s why all exams were cancelled - it was a danger to hold them.

So what do u think will happen
Original post by sarah12323
So what do u think will happen

I think there’s no other choice - it will be very similar to CIE, calculated grade on prior attainment with the option to sit in the Autumn.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
same I broke down and i told my mum I worked so hard she was like I know, and you know its stressful for parents too, I paid like 500 pounds for the exam fees, well my parents did and we haven't got a refund just yet. They improved one of my predicted grades by one grade higher and the rest remained the same so it was supposed to be ABB now i feel like a fraud and feel like I can't even prove it to myself that I was actually working towards AAA or AAB which was my predicted ;/ now I won't ever know what I would have gotten which idk is a good thing (bc I get panicked in exams and went to therapy to manage that anxiety, or a bad thing coz i spent so much time for something that might be futile and pointless)

If you've gone to therapy then you could get a note from them (about your anxiety) and use that as mitigating circumstances for applying to uni, especially if you're wanting to get into med school. This may make some universities offer some leeway to your grades. No guarantee, but you can't lose anything from trying.
Original post by med123456^^
Can they even do this or is it because you requested them to and you have no private tutor. Also how many grades are you looking to improve in maths?

I am looking to improve by 2 from a D to a B. I was meant to be doing my exams back at school but I haven't been since last year so asked what should I do to be proactive and they said prepare to send evidence as they assume this will how it would be for resit candidates who haven't been back in school.
Original post by Navxo
I am also resitting, I'm honestly so confused right now, is anyone else going to continue with their revision?

Hey, yeah. I'm actually making an online group for IAL Edexcel Science students where we will be studying together using video conferencing. Anyone wanna join?
Original post by para_2020
Hey, yeah. I'm actually making an online group for IAL Edexcel Science students where we will be studying together using video conferencing. Anyone wanna join?

really recommend snaprevise for going through topics with examples.
Yeah, we are using those..thanks!
The 2 subjects I'm retaking I got a C (one mark off a B) in maths and a D (one mark off a C) in physics last year. I need to get BB but im worried that the exam boards will just give me one extra mark in both and just give me BC as it looks like they gave me one grade higher so they will think its enough, which is going to be stupid af as I for sure was going to get BB with the amount of work I have done. My predictions were AB...
Original post by stabbathehut
I am looking to improve by 2 from a D to a B. I was meant to be doing my exams back at school but I haven't been since last year so asked what should I do to be proactive and they said prepare to send evidence as they assume this will how it would be for resit candidates who haven't been back in school.

Your school said u could send work youve done at home??
That’s so lucky ... mine said to not send them any work 😔
Original post by RdR2000
The 2 subjects I'm retaking I got a C (one mark off a B) in maths and a D (one mark off a C) in physics last year. I need to get BB but im worried that the exam boards will just give me one extra mark in both and just give me BC as it looks like they gave me one grade higher so they will think its enough, which is going to be stupid af as I for sure was going to get BB with the amount of work I have done. My predictions were AB...

I’m in the exact same position except I need mine to go up to AA... or AB minimum.
All I need is literally go from BC to AB or even BB for clearing, is that too much to bloody ask?!
Hi guys, I was looking through twitter and apparently info is due to come out this week form ofqual. I’m speculating this means our centres will contact us with this info next week 🤞🤞14C696CE-CA97-4AC2-AAEA-2168E4B9D897.jpeg
Original post by stabbathehut

This would be a fair way for external candidates tbh but we just gotta wait on what ofqual say. They sed by easter they will announce
Did exam boards like CIE/CAIE give information regarding private candidates? Cause like those I know don’t even have predicted grades from schools And well didn’t have teachers assessments and stuff since they are not going to school. So how are they gonna decide what final grades they’ll receive?
can they just release the statement? we’ve been in limbo for over two weeks now?!?

Quick Reply

Latest