The Student Room Group

School Closure and Exams

How’s everyone feeling about schools being cloased and exams cancelled?? Honestly think the best thing to do is to give students OPTIONS. Given the circumstances and the fact that we will be missing out on many classes and support from teachers if a student is happy to recieve predicted grades that is a fair option for them to choose but there are many students who do not reach their full potential until exams as they do not start to revise and fully understand the content until exam/revision season hence why study leave is given. If it is possible for exams to be sat students should have the opportunity and choice to do so OR if they prefer to they should be able to base their results on their predicted grades. I feel like it would be a good idea for people to email/write to their local representatives to let them know how
they feel!

Scroll to see replies

I’m so upset by this news as I’ve heard a lot that they’ll consider classwork/tests, mocks, predicted grades etc and give you those. If this is the case I can tell half the country will be outraged by it when it comes to results day... but I doubt they’ll be postponed as that’ll effect colleges, unis and so on down the line so idek.
Original post by Tsrtingz
I’m so upset by this news as I’ve heard a lot that they’ll consider classwork/tests, mocks, predicted grades etc and give you those. If this is the case I can tell half the country will be outraged by it when it comes to results day... but I doubt they’ll be postponed as that’ll effect colleges, unis and so on down the line so idek.

I can tell you a lot will also be outraged and unmotivated if they are delayed.
that really isnt fair I wanna sit my GCSE if im being honest cuz were all the work we put in gonna go and some people have low predicted results
No matter what they decide to do some people will not be happy with it..
Original post by rahnaramzeen
that really isnt fair I wanna sit my GCSE if im being honest cuz were all the work we put in gonna go and some people have low predicted results

Any situation would be unfair for some people.

Not changing anything about the exams would be incredibly unfair.
Original post by Anonnorth
No matter what they decide to do some people will not be happy with it..

yh thats true...but it would still be unfair if they did change it too
(edited 4 years ago)
yh thats true...but it would still be unfair if they did change it too

It would be unfair if they kept the exams the same.
but same for those who were hoping to do their gcse's like some people may have a biased predicted grades and some people would have different histories where they studied in a different country till year ten and since being moved here the school has no data bt the person therefore putting down predicted grades.
but same for those who were hoping to do their gcse's like some people may have a biased predicted grades and some people would have different histories where they studied in a different country till year ten and since being moved here the school has no data bt the person therefore putting down predicted grades.

Give new predicted grades based on up-to-date work.

Some people are getting target grades (based on data like KS2 and location) and predicted grades (what they think you will get) muddled up. They are different.
yh but those are based from year 10 beginning
oh target grades I never thought of that oh but isnt that the same as predicted grades
yh but those are based from year 10 beginning

Therefore will be more accurate and reliable, your predicted grades are not solely based on mocks!
Reply 13
I think the biggest issue for a lot of people is simply that it’s out of our control. An exam you can revise for because everyone has a set date and the amount you do and how hard you work for it is up to you but now this alternative system means that control has been taken away which is what will make people upset.
but thats my point what if you weren't even existing in the school in the first term of year ten
Original post by Mabezzz
I think the biggest issue for a lot of people is simply that it’s out of our control. An exam you can revise for because everyone has a set date and the amount you do and how hard you work for it is up to you but now this alternative system means that control has been taken away which is what will make people upset.

When can they even put in place a set date now? We don't know when coronavirus will end. We can't just keep delaying exams. There has to be a solution soon.
Original post by Mabezzz

yh im going this everyone feels this way i think even more
like for mocks n stuff i got 7s and 6s but im not predicted more than 5s or 6s and when I asked my teachers why they said it was also based on class tests so that like the only reason y im upset
to be honest i am actually happy its cancelled so if they r picking i rather them pick my mock cause personally i did better in mocks- higher than my predicted :u:

anywasy everyone has their own opinions due to their results:smile:
Reply 19
yh im going this everyone feels this way i think even more

I’m in year 13 and am scared that I might miss my uni grades but then I have to remember that universities are going to recognise that there’s an issue nationally and accommodate everyone accordingly. It’s not beneficial to the country to just throw away the potential of 500000 or so GCSE and Alevel student across the country by not giving them the grades they deserve

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending