Button212
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
What’s everyone thinking will happen with SQA exams? I heard they’re announcing at 2pm tomorrow, is this true?
Kubsyy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Button212)
What’s everyone thinking will happen with SQA exams? I heard they’re announcing at 2pm tomorrow, is this true?
Idk what time but it’s definitely tomorrow. I am constantly praying that exams will be on
ROC10
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The Deputy FM (Education Secretary) will make an announcement tomorrow (not sure on time but it has been around 2pm the last two days).

It is expected they will announce plans for supporting certain groups (in England, schools are remaining open for children of key workers and vulnerable children) but this will mostly relate to primary schools and nurseries as most secondary students (especially those of exam age) will generally be able to stay at home alone (if their parents are out) for the duration of a school day.

They are also expected to announce what will happen with exams. It seems the position in England and certainly Wales is that exams are completely cancelled and grades will be determined based on the collection of other evidence. Today, the SQA announced that exams were still to go ahead but this was before the announcement of school closures. They implied that they would hope for exams to go ahead even if schools close but that this would depend on the scientific information (which seems to be changing by the hour at the moment).
ROC10
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I am no expert so please don't take my word for it...

My personal opinion is that exams will either go ahead mostly as planned (likely with much higher numbers of special circumstances requests/missed exams) or will be completely cancelled. Delaying them wouldn't fit in with what's happening across the rest of the UK. Yes education is devolved but if Scottish exams are delayed then so will be Scottish results. AFAIK, England/Wales have been told their results should still be in August so if Scotland's are delayed to Sep/Oct then it wouldn't work with universities/colleges/jobs etc.

Again, just my thoughts!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (187)
32.24%
No (393)
67.76%

Watched Threads