English coursework- Scarlet Letter and Anna Karenina

Watch
a.gulietta
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! Not sure if I’ve posted in the right place as I’m new here.

I want to compare the Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne with Anna Karenina by Tolstoy for my A-alevel English lit coursework but I’m still not sure which themes to compare or whether I should just choose different novels altogether? I really wanted to compare Lolita with either Scarlet Letter or Anna Karenina too but there’s too little to compare unless someone could suggest anything?

For themes I was thinking portrayal of women or morality, but again I’m still not sure.

Alternatively another book combo I thought about was One hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez with War and Peace by Tolstoy and compare time and family? But I’m put off by the fact that they’re around 500 and 1000 pages.

If anyone could let me know what they think that would be really helpful!
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It sounds like you have a lot of doors open!
The best bet with literature coursework is to see how much critical material is available for each of your potential topics (Google Scholar is your friend! :woo:). If there is enough research for you to develop and sustain an argument then you should not have too many issues writing the coursework.
Just as an aside, are you adamant on Tolstoy as one of your authors? The only reason I'm asking is that he is known for writing massive books and you can still get a great mark from reading smaller texts (I did 2 Chaucer tales for my coursework last year and got 58/60). Remember your teacher has to read each text that is being analysed in full. It might be worth considering reducing the scale of your text to help both you and your teacher, since there is also a limited word count! :hugs:
If you have any other questions please let me know! Best of luck :heart:
a.gulietta
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by barror1)
It sounds like you have a lot of doors open!
The best bet with literature coursework is to see how much critical material is available for each of your potential topics (Google Scholar is your friend! :woo:). If there is enough research for you to develop and sustain an argument then you should not have too many issues writing the coursework.
Just as an aside, are you adamant on Tolstoy as one of your authors? The only reason I'm asking is that he is known for writing massive books and you can still get a great mark from reading smaller texts (I did 2 Chaucer tales for my coursework last year and got 58/60). Remember your teacher has to read each text that is being analysed in full. It might be worth considering reducing the scale of your text to help both you and your teacher, since there is also a limited word count! :hugs:
If you have any other questions please let me know! Best of luck :heart:
Thank you! I will definitely check google scholar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (270)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.99%
Isolating with family (122)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (78)
4.48%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (145)
8.33%
Loneliness (172)
9.88%
Financial worries (69)
3.96%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (159)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (124)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (154)
8.85%

Watched Threads