The Student Room Group

Should I go home from uni?

So basically my uni (London) has planned to move their lessons to online from next week and so quite a lot of people are going home now. The thing is, all my flatmates are staying so I kind of wanna stay and get work done here instead of at home where there are so many distractions.
I don’t know whether I’m being stupid but should I just go home for the rest of the semester? Like I don’t know if it’s safe for me to go home because I’m in London right now (I mean I’ve basically only left my room like twice in the last 1.5 weeks so am basically isolating myself)
Reply 1
I wouldn’t stay if my flat was empty but everyone is gonna be here and we have a good time together so idk
Reply 2
I don’t know whether I’m being stupid, it’s not like I plan on interacting with the flatmates too much but I genuinely think I get more work done at uni than I would at home and enjoy the freedom of being here so I don’t know what to do
Original post by Anonymous
So basically my uni (London) has planned to move their lessons to online from next week and so quite a lot of people are going home now. The thing is, all my flatmates are staying so I kind of wanna stay and get work done here instead of at home where there are so many distractions.
I don’t know whether I’m being stupid but should I just go home for the rest of the semester? Like I don’t know if it’s safe for me to go home because I’m in London right now (I mean I’ve basically only left my room like twice in the last 1.5 weeks so am basically isolating myself)

Its entirely your choice.

A lot of people moved back as they are unsure how transport and resources will be affected in coming days/weeks. Also a lot of peoples families just like to be around each other in times like this.

I would urge you to think of your personal (& families) health and well being, and try and make a decision based on that. Weird times, no one knows what to do really. If you stay make sure you have access to all the resources you need to live. I would probably advice you pick the place that will be more comfortable if we go into lockdown.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Its entirely your choice.

A lot of people moved back as they are unsure how transport and resources will be affected in coming days/weeks. Also a lot of peoples families just like to be around each other in times like this.

I would urge you to think of your personal (& families) health and well being, and try and make a decision based on that. Weird times, no one knows what to do really. If you stay make sure you have access to all the resources you need to live. I would probably advice you pick the place that will be more comfortable if we go into lockdown.

Thing is I do have enough food to last me a while so I should be fine if I didn’t leave the flat at all (literally not even to the reception) for about 2-3 weeks so could potentially stay here for a while without even needing to leave
They haven’t closed accommodation so I might take advantage of that but idk
Like I know haven’t got it because I haven’t been in contact with many people but still, it might be risky to ask my parents to come into London to just pick me up
I would be more comfortable I guess food and company wise at home but in terms of work and having a good time in the lockdown, I’d be better of here. If they go into lockdown over this weekend, I don’t think I’ll be able to go home on such short notice....
Reply 5
Should I pack essentials like clothes and books and stuff just in case I need to leave quickly?
Should I pack essentials like clothes and books and stuff just in case I need to leave quickly?

In what circumstances would you need to leave quickly? If one of your flatmates got infected, then you'll need to self-isolate too.
Reply 7

Hey, I know someone who is in exactly the same situation. Right now this decision is completely yours and up to how you feel but there is absolutely no reason right now for you not to stay where you are, it is safer than travelling. Halls remain open and if you access to facilities such as the library etc. and find it easier to continue studying then I would say stay. If it gets to a point where you are advised to leave (the Uni's cannot turf you out of halls btw) then make that decision at that point. Make sure you are keeping healthy, eating well and still have social connection to remain in good mental health. Always happy to chat!
Thing is I do have enough food to last me a while so I should be fine if I didn’t leave the flat at all (literally not even to the reception) for about 2-3 weeks so could potentially stay here for a while without even needing to leave
Like I know haven’t got it because I haven’t been in contact with many people but still, it might be risky to ask my parents to come into London to just pick me up
I would be more comfortable I guess food and company wise at home but in terms of work and having a good time in the lockdown, I’d be better of here. If they go into lockdown over this weekend, I don’t think I’ll be able to go home on such short notice....

If your in a real unsure situation and in halls I would probably go home (providing your home is a location with good resources and safe).

It was mentioned on radio 2 (by an NHS doctor) the virus can live on metal surfaces for up to 3 days, even if you spend 90% of your time in your flat, halls contain hundreds or thousands of students in close proximity, meaning you are far more likely to get the virus their imo, which would then lead you to being unable to return home.

My point above stands but if you stay (or go home) get disinfectant & handwash. I suggest you carry gloves and disinfectant wipes when you leave your room, the strategy now is too slow the virus infection rate as much as possible... i just think halls could be a potential breeding ground for it, and hence ideally students who have options would move out if they have the option. (not an expert the bit about halls is just my speculation).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PhoenixFortune
In what circumstances would you need to leave quickly? If one of your flatmates got infected, then you'll need to self-isolate too.

If you feel that you will be more at ease knowing you have a bag packed then there is no harm in doing so but it is highly unlikely that you will ever have to leave so quickly that you wouldn't have time to pack a bag.
Reply 10

I am quite sure that you will be given sufficient time to go home if you want to but again, so far I have been told that there will not be any closures to halls. worse case scenario you may have to move rooms but you wont be kicked out. So far we are complying to governmental advice, nothing is enforced.

Quick Reply

Latest