The Student Room Group

How to do Film / Media Studies or an equivalent out of school for GCSEs?

Hi, I really want to take film /media studies but i go to a really academic school so they don't teach it. Can someone please give me advice about it like helpful websites and books and how to do a GCSE privately.
(edited 4 years ago)
you'll need to find an exam center that offers the opportunity for you to sit the subject privately. i believe there's a coursework component to the subject too so it may be more difficult...
just out of curiosity, why do you want to take film studies??
should be able to find textbooks/revision guides on amazon, exam board websites may have recommendation for resources.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by entertainmyfaith
you'll need to find an exam center that offers the opportunity for you to sit the subject privately. i believe there's a coursework component to the subject too so it may be more difficult...
just out of curiosity, why do you want to take film studies??
should be able to find textbooks/revision guides on amazon, exam board websites may have recommendation for resources.

Yeah Thanks. To answer your question about why I want to take film studies. I just find something so surreal about how a film is made: the director, actors, design(costume, props , production),the cinematography, everything. How a film was birth from a person's thought and made possible by hundreds of people. I know some people "like" films but really do genuinely love and appreciate all the effort gone into making one - the pre production, principal photography and the post production. I do have an interest of films outside school, I just feel our school ( because i go to a grammar school) is so controlling with our options, that I need to be control of something to do with my future.Sorry that it is long winded.
Original post by ACinephilia14
Yeah Thanks. To answer your question about why I want to take film studies. I just find something so surreal about how a film is made: the director, actors, design(costume, props , production),the cinematography, everything. How a film was birth from a person's thought and made possible by hundreds of people. I know some people "like" films but really do genuinely love and appreciate all the effort gone into making one - the pre production, principal photography and the post production. I do have an interest of films outside school, I just feel our school ( because i go to a grammar school) is so controlling with our options, that I need to be control of something to do with my future.Sorry that it is long winded.

bear in mind you're gonna need to pay to do the exam etc but there's a chance an exam centre offers it, you're just gonna have to look around.
ah, i see. i presume your school don't offer a level film studies bc you could always do it then if you wished.
bear in mind you're gonna need to pay to do the exam etc but there's a chance an exam centre offers it, you're just gonna have to look around.
ah, i see. i presume your school don't offer a level film studies bc you could always do it then if you wished.

No, we don't do film studies for a levels but we do media studies at a levels but i i more interested in Film studies as it more analysis and theory of films
No, we don't do film studies for a levels but we do media studies at a levels but i i more interested in Film studies as it more analysis and theory of films

if you can afford to pay the fees and manage to find a centre near you i don't see why you could do it at gsce if you're willing to put the work in and have no issues when submitting coursework:dontknow:
if you can't then you could always do media studies at a level
if you can afford to pay the fees and manage to find a centre near you i don't see why you could do it at gsce if you're willing to put the work in and have no issues when submitting coursework:dontknow:
if you can't then you could always do media studies at a level

Yeah, I would have to ask my parents but thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.😀
Yeah, I would have to ask my parents but thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.😀

no worries, good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest