The Student Room Group

Qualifications update from a school

Hi All

As some of you know, I'm a current teacher in England.

We've just received an internal communication about exams and uni places, which will be shared with parents/students later. I'm sure many schools will be sharing something similar soon.

The general gist is:

Qualifications

The head of JCQ (joint qualifications board) which governs all exams (GCSE, A-level, BTEC etc.) has said:
-Students will get a grade this year.
-It is likely to be based on internal school based assessments.
-There will be external moderation.
- We don't yet know if this means schools will have to do their own additional assessments over the summer, but this is a possibility, so everyone should keep working as normal!

Uni Entrance:

Unis are currently considering 2 possible options:
1) Use a combination of predicted grades, personal statements and school based assessment to decide who to accept.
2) Give all students holding offers places.

They're expecting clarification from unis "in the coming days".

I know this is still very vague but it helps to know what direction things are moving in.

Scroll to see replies

Internal Assessments so like end of unit and half term tests ?!???!
Reply 2
Thank you for sharing :smile:
Original post by Super_M8rio
Internal Assessments so like end of unit and half term tests ?!???!

And mocks, and whatever other internal assessments your school does.

Or they may be asked to run other assessments as well in the coming weeks/months.
Reply 4
@Matthew2422 Some clarity on what's going on but it's still quite vague sadly. :smile:
Thanks so much for sharing :smile:
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi All

We've just received an internal communication about exams and uni places, which will be shared with parents/students later. I'm sure many schools will be sharing something similar soon.

The general gist is:

Qualifications

The head of JCQ (joint qualifications board) which governs all exams (GCSE, A-level, BTEC etc.) has said:
- We don't yet know if this means schools will have to do their own additional assessments over the summer, but this is a possibility, so everyone should keep working as normal!

Uni Entrance:

1) Use a combination of predicted grades, personal statements and school based assessment to decide who to accept.

I know this is still very vague but it helps to know what direction things are moving in.

Thanks for sharing.

#1 seems a mess, but I bet its what they go with. There are going to be massive winners and losers.
#2 I cant see happening as unis make more offers than they have places.

They also dont know what the situation will be in September
Original post by 999tigger
Thanks for sharing.

#1 seems a mess, but I bet its what they go with. There are going to be massive winners and losers.
#2 I cant see happening as unis make more offers than they have places.

They also dont know what the situation will be in September

I agree with you.

I also think it's possible unis won't open as normal in September. If they're still doing e-learning in September, they may be able to admit more students and plan to have some attrition over the course of the year?
I agree with you.

I also think it's possible unis won't open as normal in September. If they're still doing e-learning in September, they may be able to admit more students and plan to have some attrition over the course of the year?

The elearning is a good point. I made a joke about virtual freshers last night.
I get the feeling education and a suitable solution is understandably way down the list of priorities, hence it all seems ham fisted.
The situation is fluid and they dont know what will happen from day to day never mind several months in advance.

People who are going to suffer.

1. Students who dont have great teacher relations. Hence the independent fairness of exams.
2. Students whose schools apply realistic predicted grades.
3.. Students who will have put a lot of effort in since mocks, some people improve a great deal and dont take mocks as seriously.
4. Resit and private students seem to be hung out to dry.

The elearning seems a good idea though because they could make it conditional on satisfactory progress and passing year 1. Strewth knows what that would do to student attendance and student grants as it generates issues all down the line.

I'd have thought a suspension and change of the education year would have made more sense. I did think they would close schools and just have the exams with a bit of social spacing. Its only year 11 and 13.
Hi All

The general gist is:

Qualifications

Uni Entrance:

Thanks for adding some clarity in the world of speculation:
I wonder, how will the issue of private candidates be dealt with?
In addition option 2 for uni admissions seems unfeasible. Some courses e.g medicine give out far many more offers than place.
I get the feeling education and a suitable solution is understandably way down the list of priorities, hence it all seems ham fisted.
The situation is fluid and they dont know what will happen from day to day never mind several months in advance.

1. Students who dont have great teacher relations. Hence the independent fairness of exams.
3.. Students who will have put a lot of effort in since mocks, some people improve a great deal and dont take mocks as seriously.

The elearning seems a good idea though because they could make it conditional on satisfactory progress and passing year 1. Strewth knows what that would do to student attendance and student grants as it generates issues all down the line.

I'd have thought a suspension and change of the education year would have made more sense. I did think they would close schools and just have the exams with a bit of social spacing. Its only year 11 and 13.

On your points of students who will suffer:

1- I think most schools do have relatively objective internal assessment processes. However, students who haven't shown up for these may well have an issue. External moderation will mean teachers have to be objective to an extent. I think poor attenders will be worst hit.

2- Potentially, yes, but hopefully unis will look at final grades as well.

3- Yes. Also students who were incorrectly tiered for mocks at GCSE (I know I have a few, as it's always a bit of a guessing game, and our HoD pushes for as many in higher as possible).

4- Private candidates do seem to be getting screwed BUT this is a school communication, so we wouldn't necessarily talk about provision for them.

On your last point about spreading students around within schools- If schools did this, they may not be able to meet exam board rules on invigilation and so on (teachers aren't allowed to invigilate under normal circs). However, if they call it an "internal assessment", they could do this and relax the rules on invigilation...
👏👏👏👏👏

I do wonder if this is actually the best way forward.
Surely an alternative option of making uni offers only dependant on 2 grades and restricting A-Level entry to 2 subjects per person maybe a way forward.
This would decrease the amount of people attending each exam and would still give people the opportunity to achieve.
Although I imagine that grade boundaries would be Insanely high....
Original post by glassalice
Thanks for adding some clarity in the world of speculation:
I wonder, how will the issue of private candidates be dealt with?
In addition option 2 for uni admissions seems unfeasible. Some courses e.g medicine give out far many more offers than place.

This is an internal school communication, so private candidates aren't really something we need to worry about. Hopefully some provision will be made for them!

I would guess option 2 could apply to courses being run by e-learning in September. I also imagine unis are under pressure to take on as many med students as possible, right now.

Also bear in mind that each candidate can only accept one offer- some candidates will get offers from more than one med school.
This is an internal school communication, so private candidates aren't really something we need to worry about. Hopefully some provision will be made for them!

I would guess option 2 could apply to courses being run by e-learning in September. I also imagine unis are under pressure to take on as many med students as possible, right now.

Also bear in mind that each candidate can only accept one offer- some candidates will get offers from more than one med school.

I'm looking at the situation as a whole.
Not sure they would be under pressure to take on med students as it will have long past before they qualify.
By this stage candidates will already have made their decisions on which med school, not sure why we have just narrowed it down to med places?
Predicted grades then :h:
Nm, I didn't read the whole thread lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by mattlcfc

It doesn't say that and if there is external moderation then I think schools that have a history of over-prediction will be moderated down.
I'm looking at the situation as a whole.
Not sure they would be under pressure to take on med students as it will have long past before they qualify.
By this stage candidates will already have made their decisions on which med school, not sure why we have just narrowed it down to med places?

Because I was responding to a post that talked specifically about med students?

Med students will absolutely be out on wards doing the work of qualified doctors during the peak of this, IMO.

Original post by mattlcfc

That's exactly what this doesn't say...

Predicted grades won't stand up to external moderation.

On the flip side it's worth saying that students whose predicted grades are inflated (by teacher relationships or otherwise) are more likely to be out of their depth when starting their course if in actuality they might not have succeeded in getting the entry requirements in May/June.

I completely agree with point 3 though!
Reply 19
What happens if you have an unconditional offer which you have firmed ? Will I have a place guaranteed ? As universities tend to give more offers than places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending