COVID-19 Official TSR HQ Update Thread

Watch
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi everyone,

This thread is the place for official updates and information from TSR HQ in relation to our response to COVID-19. We will update this thread with relevant information when it becomes available over the coming weeks and months.

Please note, for specific conversations and questions around things like school/uni closures or exam cancellations, please visit the relevant links below.

Like everyone, the situation the TSR community now faces is completely new. But TSR has always been a space for young people to come and ask questions, get help, and feel reassured. Over the last few days in particular, I’ve been humbled to see the wonderful response from the TSR community, of people supporting people, reaching out, and helping where possible. The role of this community is more important now than ever before. Thank you to every single human who is spreading kindness and care on the forums.

Please remember that your physical and mental wellbeing is the highest priority right now. Please be gentle with yourselves, follow official advice and look out for each other.

Below is some important information about TSR in light of COVID-19.

Moderation

Uncertainty can breed a whole spectrum of emotions; from fear and panic, to incredible generosity and kindness. It’s important that we don’t contribute to extra unnecessary panic, or fan the flames of fear with misinformation.

In the interest of our TSR community, please note the below guidelines in relation to posting around COVID-19:

• Blatant fear-mongering is not okay: While this situation remains current, conspiracy theories are not appropriate and may lead to the creation of further panic. We are also monitoring the forums closely and will be on the lookout for users who appear to be deliberately posting inflammatory content.
  • Spreading misinformation: Please ensure official, reputable sources are being linked to and facts are being supported with this information. It is not OK to state your own personal opinion as fact. It can lead to confusion and unnecessary stress.

Respectful, constructive conversations relating to COVID-19 are acceptable. Please ensure they are posted in the appropriate forums and kept within our normal community guidelines.

If you see any threads, posts, private messages or visitor messages which you believe may be in breach of the above guidelines, please use the report button in the top right corner. This will flag it to our moderation staff who will review it.

As you may have seen, we're putting a purple mod edit in the top of any OP of a COVID-19 related thread with links to NHS, Gov and Mind resources. Please feel free to use these links to help other members as well.

All moderation is undertaken on a case-by-case basis. If you have any queries or concerns relating to moderation please only address these in our private 'Ask the Community Staff' forum, where you can speak confidentially with one of our moderation staff.

What can you do?

All over the forums, we have various initiatives to support our members during this difficult period. The best thing any of us can do during this time is be considerate of one another, and offer help where we can.

If you’re able, please consider lending your support in key threads and forums, including:

Look after yourself! Check out the ‘Coronavirus Resources Megathread’ https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6404294

What’s happening at TSR HQ?

We’re all working from lovely home-based offices these days! We have a wonderful team supporting the technical side of our business, meaning we can continue on more or less business as usual to support TSR. Like many companies, we have contingency plans and will continue evolving this as the situation develops. We are continuing to work closely with our dedicated Forum Helper and TSR Volunteer Teams, who are helping to gather important insights from the community, and to share their own incredible support with our community. Our top priority right now is getting young people in the UK the best support possible, keeping our community safe and reassuring everyone that we’re in this together.

I will update this thread with any further information as needed.
AbzSaid
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
fantastic work. we are all so grateful
BlinkyBill
Rep:
?
(Original post by AbzSaid)
fantastic work. we are all so grateful
Thank you mate - it's so wonderful to see the community supporting one another so amazingly. Take care.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thanks for updating us and I hope the whole team are coping
BlinkyBill
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Thanks for updating us and I hope the whole team are coping
Cheers mate!

Yeah we're doing quite well! Just very busy trying to support everyone best we can. Hope you're keeping safe and well.

Btw your avatar makes me giggle every time. lol.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BlinkyBill)
Cheers mate!

Yeah we're doing quite well! Just very busy trying to support everyone best we can. Hope you're keeping safe and well.

Btw your avatar makes me giggle every time. lol.
Safely isolated "working" from home.
AbzSaid
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
hope your all well and if you are doing Gcse like me or A- level hopefully you'll get incredible grades ( all grades 8 and 9's)
BlinkyBill
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give a brief update as we continue to see the COVID-19 situation developing.

We're in around week 12 of lockdown now, and TSR continues to be operated by staff working from our home-offices. I'd like to echo what I said in the OP of this thread, about the incredible support we've seen from a huge number of community members, really coming together to provide a reassurance and kindness to one another during this difficult time. Thank you to all of those who contribute so positively to this community.

At this time I'd like to acknowledge the additional impact we're seeing in the forums in relation to the protests currently taking place in the US, following the death of George Floyd. We are aware of a related increase in posting which doesn't fall within our Community Guidelines, and this has added to the workload of our Moderation Team, who were already managing an increased amount of reports since schools closed to most students. We appreciate your understanding of the time it may take due to this increase in numbers, but I want to reassure you that we are responding to reports as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, there are a few simple things you can do to help. If you do see members who you think might be 'trolling' (eg. are often new accounts, make lots of posts about similar things, and may post inflammatory comments in order to 'get a reaction'), or any members making inflammatory comments, the best thing you can do is not respond to them. While it might feel right to challenge those people back, this very often results in an escalation of the situation and further inflammatory comments. Instead, please just use the Report button (in the top right of all threads, posts, VMs and PMs). This means our Moderation Team are much more likely to get to the post quickly, we can see if lots of people are reporting the same stuff, and the conversation doesn't spiral so quickly. Members who are breaking community guidelines will then receive cards (or bans) where relevant.

Thank you again to everyone who's contributing to a positive and supportive atmosphere on TSR during this time, and for your understanding while we navigate these unique circumstances.

BlinkyBill
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.54%
I'm not sure (51)
4.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (33)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (544)
48.53%

Watched Threads