The Student Room Group

Wrong Major?

How do you know if you are in the wrong major? I am a first-year business student and so far I don't like my programme (well apart from one course). However, I don't think the problem is necessary with the subjects themselves because I am greatly invested in the modules? I am currently full of conflicting feelings. In the 1 st semester my grades were sufficiently good since we mostly worked independently but at the start of semester 2 we were given the group projects and my percentages went straight downhill. Majority of kids in my major don't know why they decided to enter the University in the first place. They are all over the place and it is really hard to do the task well. I spoke with my profs about the issue but apart from nodding and prepared catchphrases like "in a workplace, you will have to work in a group as well yadda yadda.." they didn't give me any pieces of advice. Therefore, I started to think maybe I am not suitable for this degree and I am better off somewhere else? Or maybe this Uni is not so suitable for my taste? I am also debating whether to switch the Major/Uni or no as I feel too old for this. Not sure. Feeling lost and confused. Any suggestions?
Original post by h0LL0w
How do you know if you are in the wrong major? I am a first-year business student and so far I don't like my programme (well apart from one course). However, I don't think the problem is necessary with the subjects themselves because I am greatly invested in the modules? I am currently full of conflicting feelings. In the 1 st semester my grades were sufficiently good since we mostly worked independently but at the start of semester 2 we were given the group projects and my percentages went straight downhill. Majority of kids in my major don't know why they decided to enter the University in the first place. They are all over the place and it is really hard to do the task well. I spoke with my profs about the issue but apart from nodding and prepared catchphrases like "in a workplace, you will have to work in a group as well yadda yadda.." they didn't give me any pieces of advice. Therefore, I started to think maybe I am not suitable for this degree and I am better off somewhere else? Or maybe this Uni is not so suitable for my taste? I am also debating whether to switch the Major/Uni or no as I feel too old for this. Not sure. Feeling lost and confused. Any suggestions?

Make a list of why you are unsettled.

Compare that list to possible solutions.

Power through.
Change modules.
Change course.
Change uni.

See which solves most of your issues.

You seem to dislike the modules and also group work. Not quite sure what different it makes whether other people know what to do or not, thats quite common.

If you feel too old for it then ask yourself why? Most people would just be focusing on getting the best grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending