The Student Room Group

What's happening with Year 12's?

We have our internal mocks this June to decide UCAS predictions, however with the cancellation of all formal exams, coupled with the increasingly likely possibility we won’t return to school this academic year, how is this going to work in terms of A- Level predicted grades for Year 12?

Does anyone have any personal ideas/ what they’ve heard from school or other people?

It’s unbelievably stressful - I can’t begin to imagine what the Year 13’s are going through.

Stay strong and safe everyone.

Scroll to see replies

same in my college sixthform we where means to do mocks, as well as i was meant to sit my real AS criminology exam in may. but now i dont know what is going to happen. will we get just predicted grades by our teacher. such a difficult time.
predicted grades or they make us do our mocks in august/september.
Original post by viliamreis297
same in my college sixthform we where means to do mocks, as well as i was meant to sit my real AS criminology exam in may. but now i dont know what is going to happen. will we get just predicted grades by our teacher. such a difficult time.

It's incredibly stressful and worrying. There's been no clarity from my school or anything/ anyone. Not sure what's going to happen..
Original post by sm0009
We have our internal mocks this June to decide UCAS predictions, however with the cancellation of all formal exams, coupled with the increasingly likely possibility we won’t return to school this academic year, how is this going to work in terms of A- Level predicted grades for Year 12?

Does anyone have any personal ideas/ what they’ve heard from school or other people?

It’s unbelievably stressful - I can’t begin to imagine what the Year 13’s are going through.

I think we will be made to do exams at the start of year 13 if we don't go back before september. The uni application deadlines could be pushed back (especially oxbridge) to give schools enough time to provide the right predicted grades for us.
Original post by thatman100
predicted grades or they make us do our mocks in august/september.

Predicted grades from where? From the first set of mocks?

Surely doing mocks in August/ September would be harmful on Personal Statements and UCAS prep - there simply wouldn't be enough time. If school resumes in September, there's only a 3 week window to mark mocks and submit Oxbridge applications (October 15th). That's impossible for state schools.
Original post by Incede
I think we will be made to do exams at the start of year 13 if we don't go back before september. The uni application deadlines could be pushed back (especially oxbridge) to give schools enough time to provide the right predicted grades for us.

Yeah - at the moment this seems the most viable option. Let's see!
Original post by sm0009
It's incredibly stressful and worrying. There's been no clarity from my school or anything/ anyone. Not sure what's going to happen..

my teacher just said do everything as normal, but how can you do everthing normal in this situation, do you revise do you not. or i dont even know soooo stressful. hope will get clarification soon.
my teacher just said do everything as normal, but how can you do everthing normal in this situation, do you revise do you not. or i dont even know soooo stressful. hope will get clarification soon.

Exactly!!!

I've got no idea what I am doing, and what I am supposed to be doing! Do I have UCAS prediction mocks in 8 weeks? 12? September? Never?! I.e. they use previous mocks.

It's a joke! Hopefully we'll have clarification by this weekend, though I don't see where that's coming from currently.

If you're in year 12, do the work they set you and try to self learn the course from the texbook/specification/online resources
Original post by sm0009

Assuming schools go back in September, teachers will have multiple options.

1) Set an AS paper at the start of Y13 to assess your current level (especially if they usually use Y12 exams)

2) Base it on what they know of you from Y12 and lower down the school.

3) Give you the grades you need to get the offers you want (jokes but it does seem like some teachers do this).

Or various other options. Your school will figure something out. However, I'd make sure I was keeping up with all the work my teachers were setting for me remotely, to make a good impression for next year :wink:
Original post by sm0009

Surely doing mocks in August/ September would be harmful on Personal Statements and UCAS prep - there simply wouldn't be enough time. If school resumes in September, there's only a 3 week window to mark mocks and submit Oxbridge applications (October 15th). That's impossible for state schools.

i agree with you, because it would put so much pressure on everyone in education. that it can harm our Personal Statements and maybe our Uni offers.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Assuming schools go back in September, teachers will have multiple options.

1) Set an AS paper at the start of Y13 to assess your current level (especially if they usually use Y12 exams)

2) Base it on what they know of you from Y12 and lower down the school.

3) Give you the grades you need to get the offers you want (jokes but it does seem like some teachers do this).

Or various other options. Your school will figure something out. However, I'd make sure I was keeping up with all the work my teachers were setting for me remotely, to make a good impression for next year :wink:

Let's say they go with Option 1, which seems the most feasible.

Wouldn't this mean the Oxbridge deadline (October 15th) would have to be pushed. September 5th - October 15th gives 4ish weeks to mark every single student's mock exams, predict final grades, submit personal statements, SAQ's, extenuating circumstances forms, admissions tests etc etc. That is impossible. Not even unlikely, flat out impossible.

How is this going to work!?:tongue:
Reply 13
Original post by sm0009

I absolutely agree. August/September is no time for exams. Especially after the summer holidays too.
Original post by ABCBAA
I absolutely agree. August/September is no time for exams. Especially after the summer holidays too.

Ahhh - how is this going to work then!! It's crazy!

Stay well:tongue:

That's all we can do right now - stick together
i agree with you, because it would put so much pressure on everyone in education. that it can harm our Personal Statements and maybe our Uni offers.

Uni applications deadlines will probably be moved to a later date as people can’t look round unis at the moment and won’t have grades from the mocks
Original post by Amazing Melon
Uni applications deadlines will probably be moved to a later date as people can’t look round unis at the moment and won’t have grades from the mocks

On the mocks/ predicted grades side of things, how do you think that's going to pan out? Juts different opinions - of course no- one knows for sure.
Ether mock exams at the beginning of year 13 or grades based on the work done so far in year 12
Original post by sm0009
On the mocks/ predicted grades side of things, how do you think that's going to pan out? Juts different opinions - of course no- one knows for sure.
Original post by sm0009

Most schools will continue to set online work over the coming weeks/months. If we return as normal at some time in September, I think most teachers will want to do some kind of assessment then, if not a formal mock.
I’m assuming they will have to do another mock as we would’ve learnt more content and it would be more realistic as to what we would get in the real exam.

Quick Reply

Latest