Year 10 impacted by school closures

Watch
Someonesendhelp
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,
First of all I want to make sure everyone’s doing not only ok in terms of physical health but also in mental health as I know these school closures have brought stress to quite a few people.
I understand the the current year 11 have first hand been affected by this due to cancelled GCSEs however I’m concerned about how it will effect my year group - year 10. In a sense I believe it’s us who are going to suffer the most because we’ll miss out on key learning that will need to be caught up on when we return to school which will essentially cause us to loose time that we should’ve been spending on revision. And due to our GCSEs so far remaining at normal time, I’m not sure we’ll be ready in time. My school have been given work to do at home ie work booklets etc however this isn’t the same as being in normal school; there’s only so much we can teach ourselves.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m concerned for our GCSE grades and overall think I might fail because of the corona virus. Is anyone in the same boat?? How are you planning to cope through this time?
Sumayyah32
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m in year 11 but I see what you mean. The only thing I can recommend is staying on top of your work. Anything teachers are setting online, do them!! Any content you’ve already covered in school, revise it more than once during this long break because if you forget it you’ll only be even more behind. I’d also recommend perhaps going online to teach yourself some of the content that you think you’ll miss. There’re loads of resources and YouTube videos. The only thing I’m not sure if you’ll have available is being able to contact teachers? Our school website enables students to send messages to teachers about anything we don’t understand from content to homework. If you have this available then be sure to take advantage of it. Hope I helped but I feel like my comment was awfully useless. Good luck for next year.
Incede
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Someonesendhelp)
Hi,
First of all I want to make sure everyone’s doing not only ok in terms of physical health but also in mental health as I know these school closures have brought stress to quite a few people.
I understand the the current year 11 have first hand been affected by this due to cancelled GCSEs however I’m concerned about how it will effect my year group - year 10. In a sense I believe it’s us who are going to suffer the most because we’ll miss out on key learning that will need to be caught up on when we return to school which will essentially cause us to loose time that we should’ve been spending on revision. And due to our GCSEs so far remaining at normal time, I’m not sure we’ll be ready in time. My school have been given work to do at home ie work booklets etc however this isn’t the same as being in normal school; there’s only so much we can teach ourselves.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m concerned for our GCSE grades and overall think I might fail because of the corona virus. Is anyone in the same boat?? How are you planning to cope through this time?
Hi, don't stress too much.

Anyone in year 10 or below won't be affected as much as year 11 and 13.

Yes you will lose lesson time, but I honestly felt like i learned a lot more self studying than having to do all the irrelevant work our teachers were setting us. Just make sure that YOU are on track with your own work and that you are ready for next year. Make sure you have the appropriate revision resources and texbooks. There isn't much that cannot be self-learnt at GCSE. If you have any problems you can email your teachers/find help online.

You aren't going to fail because of this, every other year 10 is in the exact same situation so if anyones performance goes down, it will be the whole years and this will be reflected fairly in the grade boundaries.

Think of this time as a great opportunity to do focused revision and revise exactly what you want to and need to for your exams without being pestered by teachers -you have more freedom!
allstoriesrtrue
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would totally agree that self-study is the key thing for success. As a Y13 I’m personally devastated about how everything turned out, but I have so much empathy for you younger years (my sis is Y10 so she’s practically gained me as a tutor but she’s still panicking). Like Incede said, everything will be reflected in the grade boundaries - keeping up to date with work will probably actually help sort the wheat from the chafe so to speak. TSR is also a great resource if you can find people who are doing your subjects.

GCSEs were quite a long time ago for me but if you have any questions feel free to pm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (272)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.92%
Isolating with family (123)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (147)
8.38%
Loneliness (174)
9.92%
Financial worries (70)
3.99%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (160)
9.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (156)
8.89%

Watched Threads