Australia and New Zealand close their borders to all non-residents

Watch
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
A very bold move, it's already sending ripples through New Zealand as international students have been left in the lurch.
New Zealands move seems particularly striking given its very low count of the virus - and the fact most of the virus infections from travelers have come through kiwis returning home. Something this reaction cannot stop. It was noted in the domestic media what an utterly unprecedented move this is.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51957262
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A similar unprecedented move:

Tunisia, Algeria shuts land border in unprecedented move over coronavirus pandemic
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
A very bold move, it's already sending ripples through New Zealand as international students have been left in the lurch.
New Zealands move seems particularly striking given its very low count of the virus - and the fact most of the virus infections from travelers have come through kiwis returning home. Something this reaction cannot stop. It was noted in the domestic media what an utterly unprecedented move this is.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-51957262
Right thing to do. I hope they will quarantine those who are citizens (for 14 days on arrival, no matter where they come from) because otherwise it will be useless.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Right thing to do. I hope they will quarantine those who are citizens (for 14 days on arrival, no matter where they come from) because otherwise it will be useless.
They did that a few days ago and then backdated it from when the regs came in (at least for government employees) I've found most of my drinking buddies are now in quarantine :lol:
As for the right thing to do, i'm still in two minds about this as whilst it may or may not slim the spread of the bug its going to be catastrophic for the economy here - where tourism makes up a large amount of it - tens of thousands are predicted to be laid off in short order. Plus, people like myself, are now effectively stranded.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
They did that a few days ago and then backdated it from when the regs came in (at least for government employees) I've found most of my drinking buddies are now in quarantine :lol:
As for the right thing to do, i'm still in two minds about this as whilst it may or may not slim the spread of the bug its going to be catastrophic for the economy here - where tourism makes up a large amount of it - tens of thousands are predicted to be laid off in short order. Plus, people like myself, are now effectively stranded.
Well I hope when people look back and compare the statistics of infection in countries who decided early lockdown / border closing vs late, they will see that those who act early will result in few infections / deaths. We'll see.
Kuffar Sheikh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Borders = racist.
Australia / NZ govts are racists.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Kuffar Sheikh)
Borders = racist.
Australia / NZ govts are racists.
Australias might be, New Zealand is run by a bunch of virtue signalling hippies - it would be a stretch to call them racist.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
To,be fair it’s probably quite easy to do that when you run an island mikes away from anyrging else. 😂
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
To,be fair it’s probably quite easy to do that when you run an island mikes away from anyrging else. 😂
Indeed, although they seem to be keeping AKL in business by booting tourists out who brake quarantine :lol:
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Indeed, although they seem to be keeping AKL in business by booting tourists out who brake quarantine :lol:
😂.

What happens if yiur break it? I’ve just heard a chap has been arrested on thr Isle of Man for breaking it.
Napp
Rep:
?
(Original post by Andrew97)
😂.

What happens if yiur break it? I’ve just heard a chap has been arrested on thr Isle of Man for breaking it.
Arrested and deported :lol:
Some chinese from Hong Kong were recently caught whilst in a scenic helicopter ride, apparently once the pilot found out he promptly flew them to the local ploddies :rofl:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (272)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.92%
Isolating with family (123)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (147)
8.38%
Loneliness (174)
9.92%
Financial worries (70)
3.99%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (160)
9.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (156)
8.89%

Watched Threads