I’m not coping since exams have been cancelled...

Watch
QueenDolly002
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m currently in year 13 so would have been taking my a-levels this May 2020, which have since been cancelled. Ever since, I’ve just been feeling kind of... empty. I’ve had so many long days of staying late to work, enjoying the feeling that I’m making progress and feeling like I’m doing everything I can for these exams, like I’m really really working towards something. I sort of enjoyed the constant headaches and tiredness, and I think I must be someone that thrives under stress or something. Now I don’t have anything I’m working towards, for the first time in so long, I got home today at 3pm and just sat in bed, played games and watched tv like I hadn’t done in so long. It was okay, but it’s something I would have really enjoyed doing if I was only allowed to do it for a few hours every evening, but now that I can do it as much as I want, I can’t enjoy doing any of the things I used to anymore. I just feel like everything is pointless and there’s no way out of feeling this way. Because I’ll have so much free time now, there’s nothing special about it. Even if I were able to work (I work at the airport and my hours are cut - I don’t think I’ll be returning to work for a while) it wouldn’t fill the gap inside me that the motivation to revise and get good grades did. I need something to looming over me in the future, even back in year 12 it was “okay, when is the next set of mocks?” and always having that current goal in mind which would get replaced (With more mocks/tests/assessments) every time I got past it. This is the first time in so long I just have... nothing at all. Does anyone else feel this way or am I just a crazy neek??
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
i feel the exact swme
Cco189
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by QueenDolly002)
I’m currently in year 13 so would have been taking my a-levels this May 2020, which have since been cancelled. Ever since, I’ve just been feeling kind of... empty. I’ve had so many long days of staying late to work, enjoying the feeling that I’m making progress and feeling like I’m doing everything I can for these exams, like I’m really really working towards something. I sort of enjoyed the constant headaches and tiredness, and I think I must be someone that thrives under stress or something. Now I don’t have anything I’m working towards, for the first time in so long, I got home today at 3pm and just sat in bed, played games and watched tv like I hadn’t done in so long. It was okay, but it’s something I would have really enjoyed doing if I was only allowed to do it for a few hours every evening, but now that I can do it as much as I want, I can’t enjoy doing any of the things I used to anymore. I just feel like everything is pointless and there’s no way out of feeling this way. Because I’ll have so much free time now, there’s nothing special about it. Even if I were able to work (I work at the airport and my hours are cut - I don’t think I’ll be returning to work for a while) it wouldn’t fill the gap inside me that the motivation to revise and get good grades did. I need something to looming over me in the future, even back in year 12 it was “okay, when is the next set of mocks?” and always having that current goal in mind which would get replaced (With more mocks/tests/assessments) every time I got past it. This is the first time in so long I just have... nothing at all. Does anyone else feel this way or am I just a crazy neek??
I feel this, haven’t felt this way in ages it’s the emptiness feeling. I didn’t get a chance to say bye to teachers we left thinking we would come back in a weeks time weird how things change so quickly. I guess the not know part is the hardest no one likes uncertainty especially when it comes to something as important as this
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wish I had felt like you at school.

It makes sense you'd feel like that, a massive part of your life has just been cut off for a bad reason. You could try finding uni level content to study maybe?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Me neither - I was really looking forward to exams and they were giving me so much focus
UserA12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel for you, there is not much you can do in this situation schoolwise.Do you know what kind of area you want to go into after school? If you do, there are so so many online courses and certifications you could take in so many areas. This may or may not be applicable to the area you’re interested in, but maybe searching on Coursera or EdX or one of those will show you something you can work towards in the meantime that could be really useful to you in future AND help you now with feeling you’re working towards something.
Ciel_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel the exact same emptiness
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
In yr 13 too and this is what I'm doing.... I'm reading to the end of my courses anyway - just to get that feeling of completion. (I just won't memorise it)
Also I think I'll read around more.

I recommend that you spend half ur day doing productive stuff e.g reading, duolingo

And then in the evening just enjoy life and chill.

Maybe watch documentaries bc at least u still learning something

And don't worry about the emptiness bc degree will start soon and take up all your life again and later career. This is only a few months of freedom!

(Im more worried about what they're doing with our grades tbh)
Anonymous #4
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, it’s so weird. I’ve been building myself up to these exams by revising and spending hours upon hours completing coursework to ensure that I was safely in a high grade boundary (even though they’re worth only 20% of the final grade most of the time). But as soon as they announced that exams were cancelled, i also felt emptiness? Questions like, well, what’s next?

I also am finding it difficult to enjoy playing games and watching Netflix and stuff now that I can actually do it guilt free; I’m not enjoying it. I’ve spent the past few nights being unable to sleep because of the anxiety of how we are actually going to be rewarded our final grades, and I really do hope it’s going to be fair. If not, I will just have to resit next year unfortunately....

I also applied to university this year, to start in 2021, so will have around a year and a half free. I was already planning on working during it (as that was the point due to the fact that uni is very expensive lol), but now I really don’t want to be working non stop for that long now that it has hit me :/:
Anonymous #5
Report 1 week ago
I feel the same I just don’t know what to do with myself. Can’t lie I just feel like all this hard work has gone to waste. This is just terrible cos I’m not gonna lie to u some people just don’t put enough effort in though the year for example “mocks don’t mean ****” or even class tests but the final push before exams is when the real magic happens and grades tend to increase I need A*AA to get into uni and honestly there’s NO WAY my teachers r predicting me that.

It’s just so sad my gcse’s were awful like I mean pretty much 4’s and 5’s not joking! but I picked up and for AS I got AAA and somehow got offered a place at kings for law but now much teachers esp looking at my class work and etc are not gonna give me that and I’m sooo gutted I can’t sleep I feel like all my hard work is down the drain and I’m back to square one I feel hopeless

But I’m happy to be alive and healthy
Oluwadamilooolaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Cco189)
I feel this, haven’t felt this way in ages it’s the emptiness feeling. I didn’t get a chance to say bye to teachers we left thinking we would come back in a weeks time weird how things change so quickly. I guess the not know part is the hardest no one likes uncertainty especially when it comes to something as important as this
Same! I’m so sad, I’ve been in that school for 7 years and I wasn’t even able to say a proper goodbye to my teachers and my mates. Thank god for social media, but it’s just not the same :/
Oluwadamilooolaa
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel the exact same way! When I properly think about it, ever since a levels (and kinda gcse) started, it’s been non stop revision. So to have that taken away from me does feel quite empty. And when I genuinely think about it, my life’s pretty boring. It was just revision and school. But now those two things have been taken away. So I’m pretty much just spending every hour I have just telling my friends I’m bored and watching YouTube. Not the ideal life, but dw, it’ll subside soon if you have applied to university. I honestly can’t wait. (Given that I achieve the grades).
amybear22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I feel for you all! I'm also in the same boat and I know my chances of uni are entirely ruined. I really hope that you all find something to work and look forward to. It's a rough time right now, but hopefully soon enough life will have some normality again and you will have something to put all your effort on.
Brutal Bee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah. It just feels like something so important has been taken away and no-one cares. I just don't understand why they didn't delay the exams, I honestly feel so crap.
amybear22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think they rushed into cancelling them. I get that they don't know how things will go with all this, but they should have just postponed for now and see how it goes with all this. What if the spread of the virus ceases and exams could happen at a later date but now they already have cancelled and will work on awarding grades from god knows where and most likely screw over so many students futures...
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
But mate.. Scientists have predicted that the peak of this thing will be may/june. SO we can not afford to have kids all around the country, hundreds of them in a room at mini desks less than a metre away from each other in those months. They can't happen later since that will push back uni terms, and delay life even more...
amybear22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
True, but for some, this means no future and I doubt anyone will give any support to them.
amybear22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Grateful for what? That because of exam cancellation you don't have a uni to go to and a chance of building your career and life in future? Yeah, I always dreamt about no future lol.
Anonymous #6
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by amybear22)
Grateful for what? That because of exam cancellation you don't have a uni to go to and a chance of building your career and life in future? Yeah, I always dreamt about no future lol.
They are NOT gonna prevent you from building a career mate. There will definitely be something done for you. Plenty of people trying to get into uni and the government sure as hell ain’t gonna stop you from paying 9k a year even if the whole world had the Coronavirus.
Anonymous #7
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Lmao yall need to shut up... alevel exams were traumatising anyway. Be grateful.
Are you in year 13? I really don't think so.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (84)
62.22%
No (51)
37.78%

Watched Threads