Chinese state continues pushing conspiracy blaming US for coronavirus

Watch
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...dfire/12062516

Last week, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian sent out five consecutive tweets on his official Twitter account, claiming the US military brought coronavirus to Wuhan, without providing any evidence.

Zhao Lijian isn't the only one to believe the US is behind the coronavirus pandemic.

One of the recurring claims being spread online is that coronavirus is a biological weapon, engineered in American laboratory.

The US Army brought it to Wuhan when they participated in the Military Olympic Games last October — or so the rumour goes.
Similar claims appeared during the SARS epidemic in 2003, and hostile relations between the Chinese public and the United States, born out of the current trade war, have done little to quell its spread.
Many Chinese residents believe their nation's rise threatens the United States, and to that effect, it is easy to blame the outbreak on the US.
This sense of discontent has filtered through different parts of society.
When the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation pledged $100 million in support of China in February, for example, my father asked me if it was "fake news". He could not believe "evil America" would be willing to help us.

Even young, well-educated Chinese residents repeated the same story with anger and tried to convince their German colleagues in Beijing of its validity.
Yesterday, Central China TV had an "expert" on pushing the same conspiracy:

“The US pushed out the vaccine so quickly, that only means they have been working on it way before the pandemic.” Host: “So we can conclude that the US had this virus in their possession long ago.”
Mustafa0605
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Trump tried to buy a German pharmaceuticals company that was developing a vaccine for the coronavirus. US trying to profit of it politically and financially. It wouldn’t be a surprise if they also created coronavirus themselves. Name:  30AE6855-DC4F-4107-9100-6C9180738E19.jpg.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  30.2 KB
Ascend
Rep:
?
In the same vein:

Iran Knows Who to Blame for the Virus: America and Israel

The regime’s ideological army is spinning conspiracy theories even as it helps spread the virus among Iran’s long-suffering people.

As news of coronavirus cases in Iran spread, the IRGC quickly developed a narrative for the disease. It portrayed the virus as a conspiracy orchestrated by the United States, in an attempt to rejuvenate the anti-Americanism that lies at the heart of the regime’s ideology. Hossein Salami, the commander of the Guard, has suggested the coronavirus may be an “American biological invasion,” leading some of the regime’s defenders to call for a retaliatory response. Indeed, a deeper look at IRGC-linked communications networks reveals a systematic propaganda campaign to seize the pandemic as an opportunity to vilify not only the United States, but also the regime’s other traditional ideological enemy, Israel, as well. The propaganda includes claims that the virus is a “Zionist biological terrorist attack,” in line with previous allegations that the so-called Zionist regime has conducted “12 bioterrorist attacks against the people of Iran.”

The conspiracy theories have been supported by the IRGC’s own “experts” on biotechnology and genetics. Ali Karami, a professor at the IRGC-run Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, appeared on Iranian state television to describe coronavirus as a “biological ethnic weapon” specifically created by the “Americans and Zionist regime” to target Iranian DNA which, in Karami’s view, also explains the high coronavirus mortality rate in Iran. Karami, who also serves in the IRGC’s Basij militia, also claimed that the explanation for Iran and Italy both having a high number of coronavirus fatalities is that “the genetics of the Italian people are very similar to the Iranian people.” Conspiracy theories such as these have themselves spread among the leadership like a virus, with figures including President Hassan Rouhani referring to the pandemic as an enemy plot.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Easier to blame someone else than to fix your own hygiene standards.
Ascend
Rep:
?
China Is Fighting the Coronavirus Propaganda War to Win

Beijing isn’t interested in a tit-for-tat media feud with the United States—it’s going for escalation dominance.

The advent of the new coronavirus has thrown these Chinese information control efforts into overdrive. Alongside punishing doctors and dissidents who dare to criticize the government’s response to the outbreak, Beijing has lashed out against foreign critics of its management of the pandemic and muzzled debate across the country’s social media platforms. Fearful that the initial denial and mismanagement of the outbreak could trigger social unrest, Beijing has now mounted an aggressive domestic and global propaganda campaign to tout its draconian approach to the epidemic, downplay its role in sparking the global outbreak, and contrast its efforts favorably against those of Western governments and particularly the United States. That brute-force public relations campaign led to the outright expulsion in February of three Wall Street Journal reporters as punishment for an opinion column headlined, “China Is the Real Sick Man of Asia.” Of note, none of the reporters had anything to do with the piece, much less the headline.
These developments come against the backdrop of a rise in aggressive, stealthy disinformation operations. Often government-initiated, these campaigns have aimed to shape opinions, sow social disorder, and even influence elections in democracies, especially the United States. It was in this context that the United States announced in mid-February that five Chinese news outlets—Xinhua, CGTN, China Radio, China Daily, and the People’s Daily—previously all treated as media organizations, would now be dealt with as arms of the government in Beijing, subject to similar rules as those that apply to professional diplomats.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ascend)
In the same vein:

Iran Knows Who to Blame for the Virus: America and Israel

The regime’s ideological army is spinning conspiracy theories even as it helps spread the virus among Iran’s long-suffering people.
This isnt exactly unprecedented though, i'd be rather surprised if this wasnt just more of the same spiel for the domestic audience.
comradev
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The CIA has done worse things before, so I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by comradev)
The CIA has done worse things before, so I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be true.
Define worse?
PepeTheFroggi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Funny how Lijian demans US to be transparent when i highly doubt that China is 'transparent' themselves lol.
comradev
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Define worse?
Taking the definition from Google, 'worse' can be defined as "a more serious or unpleasant event or situation."
I would say that supporting fascist coups against democratically-elected governments and numerous genocides around the world would qualify for being worse.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Taking the definition from Google, 'worse' can be defined as "a more serious or unpleasant event or situation."
I would say that supporting fascist coups against democratically-elected governments and numerous genocides around the world would qualify for being worse.
Remind me again how a coup can be considered worse than a global pandemic?
I also don't recall them committing any genocides, bar the support for the Indonesian one that is.
comradev
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Napp)
Remind me again how a coup can be considered worse than a global pandemic?
I also don't recall them committing any genocides, bar the support for the Indonesian one that is.
Off the top of my head

Guatemalan genocide
Bangladesh genocide
Pol Pot's regime

I am sure there are many more, but these are the examples that I remembered.

While the act of doing a coup is not very significant by itself, its consequences may cripple the future of that nation and potentially even the entire world.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
China can **** off with their theories
Ragman75
Badges: 15
Report 2 weeks ago
Off the top of my head

Guatemalan genocide
Bangladesh genocide
Pol Pot's regime

I am sure there are many more, but these are the examples that I remembered.

While the act of doing a coup is not very significant by itself, its consequences may cripple the future of that nation and potentially even the entire world.
Come on man lets have some perspective here, the most recent thing you said the CIA did happens like 50 years ago. Also are you really going to claim if given the opportunity the government that has concentration camps in 2020 wouldn't have done all of those things but worse. Its orders of maginude more likely this virus was a Chinese bio weapon released on accident because they terrible protocol in their labs, than the CIA unleashed a global pandemic.

Qnother hole in your theory, if the CIA did this why didnt the US closed their borders in January like Russia instead of ruining their own economy aswell, they wouldnt need to convice trump that hard to do that he hates the CCP.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rock Fan)
China can **** off with their theories
Alas they have an army of under utilized drones to use to pump the ether thanks to the virus theyve now been busy exporting.
comradev
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ragman75)
Come on man lets have some perspective here, the most recent thing you said the CIA did happens like 50 years ago. Also are you really going to claim if given the opportunity the government that has concentration camps in 2020 wouldn't have done all of those things but worse. Its orders of maginude more likely this virus was a Chinese bio weapon released on accident because they terrible protocol in their labs, than the CIA unleashed a global pandemic.

Qnother hole in your theory, if the CIA did this why didnt the US closed their borders in January like Russia instead of ruining their own economy aswell, they wouldnt need to convice trump that hard to do that he hates the CCP.
The chinese 'concentration camps' have already been proven to be a myth spread by the CIA. The re-education centres did exist, but the conditions inside them were grossly exaggerated. I am willing to provide sources if you ask for them.

I am not saying that the CIA did it, but I do believe that the possibility is not off the table as this does not seem like something that they wouldn't do, given their past activities. I would also sooner believe the virus to be CIA's fault, rather than China's. Nevertheless, I think that the most likely scenario is that the virus appeared naturally, neither due to the CIA's nor the CCP's activities.

Sorry, but I do not understand your second paragraph.
Last edited by comradev; 2 weeks ago
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The chinese 'concentration camps' have already been proven to be a myth spread by the CIA. The re-education centres did exist, but the conditions inside them were grossly exaggerated. I am willing to provide sources if you ask for them.
We have a new Chinese propaganda machine :lol:
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
Trump tried to buy a German pharmaceuticals company that was developing a vaccine for the coronavirus. US trying to profit of it politically and financially. It wouldn’t be a surprise if they also created coronavirus themselves. Name:  30AE6855-DC4F-4107-9100-6C9180738E19.jpg.jpeg
Views: 22
Size:  30.2 KB
Except if you were going to profit, then you would already have bought the company and it pales into insignificance compared to the amount of damage done to the US economy, so complete nonsense.
comradev
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
We have a new Chinese propaganda machine :lol:
Don't tell anyone, but Xi personally pays me for every comment I make. Brb, gotta claim my paycheck.

Jokes aside, what incentive would China have to exterminate a part of their own population? I have my own reasons to be critical of China, but their alleged activities in Xinjiang are not among them.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don't tell anyone, but Xi personally pays me for every comment I make. Brb, gotta claim my paycheck.

Jokes aside, what incentive would China have to exterminate a part of their own population? I have my own reasons to be critical of China, but their alleged activities in Xinjiang are not among them.
They are not camps to be used for traditional genocide rather cultural genocide. The Chinese hate anyone that has ideas different to their dictator.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (212)
33.65%
No (418)
66.35%

Watched Threads