What calculation would I do to calculate 2^ π ? What logic is behind the indicy rule?

Watch
lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
2^2 = 2*2
2^3 = 2*2*2

2^1.5 = √(3^3) = 3√3 .

Now, intuitively , the previous calculation would be 2 multiplied by itself 1.5 times which is kind of weird to compose an explicit calculation for other than what I have learnt parrot fashion from year 9 of the indicy rule to answer that question. This only works for rational numbers.

To find 2^ π, I guess I'd just have to round π and apply the indicy rule to a fraction a/b where a and b are rational numbers.

But I can't see the logic behind the indicy rule ; what was the inventor's logic ?
Advertisement
Justvisited
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If a^n = b, then a is the nth root of b. Then simply apply the addition law of indices to realise that a = b^(1/n).
lhh2003
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
If a^n = b, then a is the nth root of b. Then simply apply the addition law of indices to realise that a = b^(1/n).
Thanks.
Advertisement
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
2^2 = 2*2
2^3 = 2*2*2

2^1.5 = √(3^3) = 3√3 .
2^1.5 = √(2^3) = 2√2.
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by lhh2003)
To find 2^ π, I guess I'd just have to round π and apply the indicy rule to a fraction a/b where a and b are rational numbers.
The way you're suggesting ties in with one of the standard ways of defining the power operation for irrational powers: demand that the function x \rightarrow b^x be continuous, and then approximate the irrational exponent with a sequence of rational exponents, and take the limit.

The way it's more usually done is to first of all define the exponential function e^x (by series expansion, for example). You then define b^x = e^{x \log{b}}, where the log function is the inverse of the exponential function.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.63%
I'm not sure (54)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (345)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.98%
I'm not a current university student (570)
48.47%

Watched Threads