Juliaann99
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I started my nurse training this January so I have 3 whole years ahead of me before I graduate. Hit, I’ve always been really keen to join the military and would love to become a military nurse. I don’t know which branch to go down; I’ve heard RAF is better for progression. What would everyone recommend out of the 3 to join?
Ikaruss
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Juliann, sadly, it's almost impossible to answer your query, as to it justice you would need a nurse who had experienced all 3 services and knew the ins and outs of each. The military is not like civvy street where you can compare (for instance) Tesco, Asda and Sainsburys! (All with empty shelves!)

A nurse in each service would probably be a strong supporter of that service, so to compare like with like you'd probably have to do the hard hours researching each service yourself. This would be by going through all 3 careers websites, reading up all about the medical role you're interested in. Then pop down to an AFCO and ask to speak to a recruiter for each service. If you can get a visit to a military medical facility, then take that opportunity and speak to as many people as you can. If you can do all that, you'll have a pretty good idea of which service is the best fit for you and your aspirations.

Hope that helps

Ikky
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

If you send me a DM I can give you the contact details for the RAF Nursing Liaison team who can give you advice on the RAF options. We can't for the Army or Navy though, obviously.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Juliaann

The world of nursing in the Armed Forces has become much more tri-service in the last few years. Nurses at the RCDM in Birmingham, for instance, come from all three services.

https://www.uhb.nhs.uk/rcdm.htm

The number of actual military hospitals has really diminished; they have largely been replaced by Ministry of Defence Hospital Units. You would certainly find Naval Nurses at the ones in Plymouth and Portsmouth.

You would also find them on RFA Argus in times of particular need.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/our-org...ship/rfa-argus

There are good things to be said about nursing in all of the three services. Have a look at all of the options.

Something which might appeal to you, while you are still training, is joining the Royal Naval Reserves. The Units are scattered up and down the country. They each have open evenings; although these are suspended, they should start them again later in the year. The RNR has qualified nurses serving as Reservists in it, whom you would meet. You wouldn't be able to join in a nursing capacity at this point yourself, but in a general capacity. Check out your local unit.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...find-your-unit

It's worth knowing that the bar for joining the Navy as a Nurse is set high - the interviewers are very selective.

I would certainly have a look at Naval Nurse as a very real option, though.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...urse-qualified
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed