Social distancing measures will last for at least half a year

Watch
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
I realise that, but they are still miles ahead of us in comparison. We have been slow to react and will most likely pay the price in the next few weeks. Looking at figures at the moment I cannot foresee anything other than Italy like totals because we have been both arrogant and naive.
Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world. Why when comparing, do we think of Italy, and not any of the other countries like Germany, France or Spain? In Italy it is mostly confined to the northern region, more spread out in the UK but mostly in London.

Some are arrogant and naive, mostly younger people, but overall I t hink people are more altruist and young people are less vulnerable to it anyway.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Smack)
What's the long-term solution for dealing with this virus?
There are 4 ways out
1) Find an effective vaccine.
2) Find an alternative treatment that substantially decreases its deadliness.
3) Control it using population measures (whatever they may be) forever.
4) Let whole population get it.

I suspect we're going to end up with mostly 4) one way or another.
Last edited by nexttime; 1 week ago
Ferrograd
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by nexttime)
There are 4 ways out
1) Find an effective vaccine.
2) Find an alternative treatment that substantially decreases its deadliness.
3) Control it using population measures (whatever they may be) forever.
4) Let whole population get it.

I suspect we're going to end up with mostly 4) one way or another.
Exactly, there's no way they'll be able to keep everyone indoors until a vaccine is reduced. Economically, socially, and practically. I Imagine they'll ease things off in summer then start them back in around winter time. Though if they let everyone get it, 250-500k people could die.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Exactly, there's no way they'll be able to keep everyone indoors until a vaccine is reduced. Economically, socially, and practically. I Imagine they'll ease things off in summer then start them back in around winter time. Though if they let everyone get it, 250-500k people could die.
Hopefully, with factors like people dying with covid not of it, letting the young get it and protecting the elderly, slowing the onset so hospitals aren't overwhelmed, and increasing experience managing the disease, we can get it much less than that.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And we don't so let's stop comparing ourselves to authoritarian societys that don't enjoy the libertys we do. Sure, there will be a cost but I'd rather have my freedom. I can still choose to self iscolate whilst hell rains down outside.
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As an extreme introvert I’m always social distancing anyway. 🤷*♀️
imlikeahermit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ferrograd)
Italy has one of the oldest populations in the world. Why when comparing, do we think of Italy, and not any of the other countries like Germany, France or Spain? In Italy it is mostly confined to the northern region, more spread out in the UK but mostly in London.

Some are arrogant and naive, mostly younger people, but overall I t hink people are more altruist and young people are less vulnerable to it anyway.
Because our numbers are so comparable, as is our reaction. Older population or not, numbers don’t lie, and in comparison with other places around the world we have a high death rate.

Secondly, it makes absolutely no difference if young people are less vulnerable. They are still carriers. Seeing it as in were alright jack, pull the ladder up is ridiculous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (105)
60.34%
No (69)
39.66%

Watched Threads