Cardiff University Accommodation

Watch
ThePsychKid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone!
So I've firmed Cardiff and now I'm looking at accommodation but am unsure which ones will suit me more. I've heard that many students in Cardiff halls are into partying and as I'm not into partying or drinking I was wondering would it be better if I go for private accommodation? If so, any recommendations? Are there any university accommodations that don't have as much of a 'party' reputation?
tylerp14
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey there, in most residences there is a fairly even mix of people who go out and people who don't like to. Also a lot of residences have specific "quiet living" areas which just means you'd probably be living with people similar to you, who would prefer not to go out all the time. If it helps, I stayed in Senghennydd Hall, not in quiet living, I only went out twice all year and I still made good friends that I will be moving in with next year! If you have any other questions feel free to ask me and I'll try and help
ThePsychKid
Rep:
?
(Original post by tylerp14)
Hey there, in most residences there is a fairly even mix of people who go out and people who don't like to. Also a lot of residences have specific "quiet living" areas which just means you'd probably be living with people similar to you, who would prefer not to go out all the time. If it helps, I stayed in Senghennydd Hall, not in quiet living, I only went out twice all year and I still made good friends that I will be moving in with next year! If you have any other questions feel free to ask me and I'll try and help
Ah ok thanks. I read somewhere that you can hear parties going on in most halls and that its hard to concentrate when studying. Is this true? Also are most accommodations near or far from the actual uni? As quite a few people recommend going for private accommodations as its closer to the uni. And lastly, I know Aberdare hall is an all-girls hall but I'm curious about the arrangement in the other halls. As in, is it like one floor will be all girls and the other floor will be all boys or is it just mixed?
tylerp14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ThePsychKid)
Ah ok thanks. I read somewhere that you can hear parties going on in most halls and that its hard to concentrate when studying. Is this true? Also are most accommodations near or far from the actual uni? As quite a few people recommend going for private accommodations as its closer to the uni. And lastly, I know Aberdare hall is an all-girls hall but I'm curious about the arrangement in the other halls. As in, is it like one floor will be all girls and the other floor will be all boys or is it just mixed?
I wouldn’t say it’s hard to study, it can sometimes be fairly loud but usually around exam periods most people will be studying instead of going out anyway! As far as I’m aware, the Talybont residences are quite far from the city centre and the Uni buildings, depending which course you’re studying. The Senghennydd Hall and Court residences are about 10 minutes or less away from most buildings and the city centre, and they’re less popular so easier to get into. As for girls/boys, you can request a flat (so the people you share a kitchen and/or bathroom with) of all the same gender or you can say you have no preference, personally I said no preference and stayed in a flat of 3 girls and 5 boys so it’s up to you really
ThePsychKid
Rep:
?
I wouldn’t say it’s hard to study, it can sometimes be fairly loud but usually around exam periods most people will be studying instead of going out anyway! As far as I’m aware, the Talybont residences are quite far from the city centre and the Uni buildings, depending which course you’re studying. The Senghennydd Hall and Court residences are about 10 minutes or less away from most buildings and the city centre, and they’re less popular so easier to get into. As for girls/boys, you can request a flat (so the people you share a kitchen and/or bathroom with) of all the same gender or you can say you have no preference, personally I said no preference and stayed in a flat of 3 girls and 5 boys so it’s up to you really
Ah I see. Do you know which accommodations would be closer to the psychology building? (I'm planning on doing psychology )
tylerp14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThePsychKid)
Ah I see. Do you know which accommodations would be closer to the psychology building? (I'm planning on doing psychology )
I think the Senghennydd buildings and Talybont Court would be about a 10-15 minute walk from your building, but the closest would probably be Colum Hall, I don’t know anyone who stayed there so I can’t comment on the quality of it as a residence!
ThePsychKid
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I think the Senghennydd buildings and Talybont Court would be about a 10-15 minute walk from your building, but the closest would probably be Colum Hall, I don’t know anyone who stayed there so I can’t comment on the quality of it as a residence!
Ok thank you! You were really helpful!! :heart:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise