Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
okay so, before i get comments telling me to go to the doctors, that is simply not an option for me right now. and long story short, im seriously worried im pregnant and can't abort it discreetly so i need to induce a period at home.

so my period is supposedly due in 2 weeks time, but i had unprotected sex about a month ago and took an afterpill. however, i'm pretty sure i had already ovulated so the afterpill wouldnt be as effective. my most recent period (the one after the incident) was unusually light (pretty much just spotting) and my boobs have been tender since then. i normally only get tender breasts about 3/4 days before my period or so, this has been going on for about 2 weeks.

naturally, when you know how your body normally feels and youre suddenly feeling something different after having had sex, like any self aware person, i would consider pregnancy. i took a test which came back negative but i'm aware that the tests aren't always accurate, and for some pregnancies the hcg levels are too low initially to be detected.
i'm extremely worried about being the 1% of people who are pregnant despite the test saying their not and my body doing what it's doing right now and feeling weird doesn't help. how my body feels and the results the tests are showing dont agree. and initially although i thought it oculd be due to the pill, i have taken the emergency pill in the past and it hasnt make me feel like this a month later.

like i said, going to the doctors for an abortion pill is simply not an option if i really am pregnant, so i need to know if people have had success inducing a good heavy period at home. i know parsley, vitamin c, ginger etc are all emmenagogues which i am going to start consuming in larger doses. however, i just wanted to know of any success stories out there of people who successfully induced a period after a serious pregnancy scare.

thank you
Anonymous #1
BUMP
LittleABC
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
okay so, before i get comments telling me to go to the doctors, that is simply not an option for me right now. and long story short, im seriously worried im pregnant and can't abort it discreetly so i need to induce a period at home.

so my period is supposedly due in 2 weeks time, but i had unprotected sex about a month ago and took an afterpill. however, i'm pretty sure i had already ovulated so the afterpill wouldnt be as effective. my most recent period (the one after the incident) was unusually light (pretty much just spotting) and my boobs have been tender since then. i normally only get tender breasts about 3/4 days before my period or so, this has been going on for about 2 weeks.

naturally, when you know how your body normally feels and youre suddenly feeling something different after having had sex, like any self aware person, i would consider pregnancy. i took a test which came back negative but i'm aware that the tests aren't always accurate, and for some pregnancies the hcg levels are too low initially to be detected.
i'm extremely worried about being the 1% of people who are pregnant despite the test saying their not and my body doing what it's doing right now and feeling weird doesn't help. how my body feels and the results the tests are showing dont agree. and initially although i thought it oculd be due to the pill, i have taken the emergency pill in the past and it hasnt make me feel like this a month later.

like i said, going to the doctors for an abortion pill is simply not an option if i really am pregnant, so i need to know if people have had success inducing a good heavy period at home. i know parsley, vitamin c, ginger etc are all emmenagogues which i am going to start consuming in larger doses. however, i just wanted to know of any success stories out there of people who successfully induced a period after a serious pregnancy scare.

thank you
There are two morning after pills, one works for a slightly longer time, but you're correct that if you have already ovulated it may not be effective.
As both pills are hormonal, it may be that your body is responding to the hormones.
It isn't unusual for periods to be delayed after taking the MAP, it's part of the way they work, and for this reason sexual health professionals advise that the first period after taking it should not be used as confirmation that you're not pregnant. A pregnancy test is recommended 3 weeks after the date the pill was taken.
Many factors come into play regarding risk of pregnancy - are your periods normally very regular, are you using any form of contraception at all, are there any stresses in life that may be contributing to an upset menstrual cycle?
Please dont be too concerned until you have done a pregnancy test after this time. If it is negative 3 weeks after any unprotected sex, great. If it is positive, there are non judgemental supportive services that can assist you in whatever decision you make.
Please please dont consider inducing an abortion of a pregnancy that is not confirmed, by whatever means, you may be putting your health at risk.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LittleABC)
There are two morning after pills, one works for a slightly longer time, but you're correct that if you have already ovulated it may not be effective.
As both pills are hormonal, it may be that your body is responding to the hormones.
It isn't unusual for periods to be delayed after taking the MAP, it's part of the way they work, and for this reason sexual health professionals advise that the first period after taking it should not be used as confirmation that you're not pregnant. A pregnancy test is recommended 3 weeks after the date the pill was taken.
Many factors come into play regarding risk of pregnancy - are your periods normally very regular, are you using any form of contraception at all, are there any stresses in life that may be contributing to an upset menstrual cycle?
Please dont be too concerned until you have done a pregnancy test after this time. If it is negative 3 weeks after any unprotected sex, great. If it is positive, there are non judgemental supportive services that can assist you in whatever decision you make.
Please please dont consider inducing an abortion of a pregnancy that is not confirmed, by whatever means, you may be putting your health at risk.
thank you so much for your response. i'm not using any female contraceptives but i have been stressed which i have been hoping that along with the afterpill resulted in such a light period last time and all the symptoms im currently experiencing. i will definitely take care with the herbs because on second thought, youre right. this isnt confirmed, and it can be dangerous to my health. thank you once again. ill take another test and make sure.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Do you understand how pregnancy works? It is not physiologically possible to induce a period when you are pregnant. I second doing another pregnancy test.
Last edited by black tea; 2 weeks ago
independentx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The morning after pill has more of an impact than just preventing a pregnancy - it can really mess up your cycle because it’s hormonal and a different kind of hormonal to what your body is used to.

I don’t know exactly how it works, but I don’t think whether you have ovulated or not has much of a bearing on the effectiveness of the MAP (if it did, the success rate would probably be pretty low). That’s just a very uninformed opinion though so take that with a pinch of salt.

Do take another pregnancy test if your period doesn’t show up on time, and in the meantime be reassured by the stats for the MAP and try not to stress (that can also mess up your cycle and make you feel a bit weird).
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Do you understand how pregnancy works? It is not physiologically possible to induce a period when you are pregnant. I second doing another pregnancy test.
i thought that's what an abortion/ miscarriage was. in the above post i was referring more to abortifacients that could increase the possibility of me shedding whatever's there. but yeah my bad i called it a period instead of an abortion.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by independentx)
The morning after pill has more of an impact than just preventing a pregnancy - it can really mess up your cycle because it’s hormonal and a different kind of hormonal to what your body is used to.

I don’t know exactly how it works, but I don’t think whether you have ovulated or not has much of a bearing on the effectiveness of the MAP (if it did, the success rate would probably be pretty low). That’s just a very uninformed opinion though so take that with a pinch of salt.

Do take another pregnancy test if your period doesn’t show up on time, and in the meantime be reassured by the stats for the MAP and try not to stress (that can also mess up your cycle and make you feel a bit weird).
i really do hope this is just the effect of the pill. i've tried to take comfort in those stats but that 1% is really making me uneasy. i'll try to relax about it and take another test. i appreciate your response x
LittleABC
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by independentx)

The morning after pill success rate depends on whether a person has ovulated or not. There is a hormone (Luteinising hormone) which rises sharply for ovulation.
One kind of pill (levonorgestrel) works up until this surge starts. The second type (ulipristal acetate) works up until the peak of this surge. If an egg has been released, neither will work, which is why it is important to do a pregnancy test 3 weeks after taking it.
This is also the reason it can delay periods because its effectively postponing the cycle 5 days, buying you time while sperm in the genital tract dies before it can fertilise an egg.
The most effective form of emergency contraception is a copper coil (IUD) which can be fitted up to day 19 of a cycle (up to 5 days AFTER ovulation).
LittleABC
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i really do hope this is just the effect of the pill. i've tried to take comfort in those stats but that 1% is really making me uneasy. i'll try to relax about it and take another test. i appreciate your response x
Please dont worry about something that's not happened yet, you will make yourself unwell.
There are support services whichever this goes.
Test 3 weeks after taking emergency contraception, and then consider a form of longer acting contraception you dont have to think much about - then you dont have to be so concerned every time you have sex, if you are going to remain sexually active.
🙂
Anonymous #1
UPDATE GUYS I GOT MY PERIOD. it's here! thank you guys so much for the support i'm so grateful for your posts and taking time out to comfort me. never again am i doing no condom sex, pill or no pill.
thank you guys once again

(Original post by LittleABC)
Please dont worry about something that's not happened yet, you will make yourself unwell.
There are support services whichever this goes.
Test 3 weeks after taking emergency contraception, and then consider a form of longer acting contraception you dont have to think much about - then you dont have to be so concerned every time you have sex, if you are going to remain sexually active.
🙂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (341)
34.8%
No (639)
65.2%

Watched Threads