Which uni is better and in what order would they be ranked for employability?

Watch
Dms2001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Now, I've received offers from 5/5 of the unis I've applied to (Aberdeen, Royal Holloway, Birmingham, Reading, Kent)...
As an international student, I really value employability after finishing my course, but only RHUL (Economics, Politics and International Relations BSC) and Reading (Economics and International relations BA) offer industrial placements...
As for Birmingham, the course is a major-minor (International Relations with Economics) which means there will be less focus on economics (another negative in my opinion) and I am unsure about the employability after that course given its nature.
Aberdeen's course (Economics and International Relations) seems great but I'm also worried about the employability after...
Highest to Lowest offers:
Aberdeen- AAA
Birmingham- AAA
Royal Holloway- ABB
Reading- BBB/ BBC if I firm
Kent- BBB
If anyone can help me order these unis for employability in terms of my course that'd be great...
I've looked at league tables, national surveys and sites that help compare unis... Still trying to make a decision so that it will be easier to pick my firm and insurance.
Last edited by Dms2001; 2 days ago
Diplomatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dms2001)
Now, I've received offers from 4/5 of the unis I've applied to (Royal Holloway, Birmingham, Reading, Kent)... I'm still waiting for a reply from Aberdeen...
As an international student, I really value employability after finishing my course, but only RHUL (Economics, Politics and International Relations BSC) and Reading (Economics and International relations BA) offer industrial placements...
As for Birmingham, the course is a major-minor (International Relations with Economics) which means there will be less focus on economics (another negative in my opinion) and I am unsure about the employability after that course given its nature.
Aberdeen's course (Economics and International Relations) seems great but I'm also worried about the employability after...
Highest to Lowest offers:
Birmingham- AAA
Royal Holloway- ABB
Reading- BBB/ BBC if I firm
Kent- BBB
If anyone can help me order these unis for employability in terms of my course that'd be great...
I've looked at league tables, national surveys and sites that help compare unis... Still trying to make a decision so that it will be easier to pick my firm and insurance.
Unless you'd consider becoming an economist (where more econ focus is necessary in your degree to meet the requirements), then it's going to make very little difference which subject you choose for a career in professional services (e.g. consulting, accountancy, law, investment banking, management jobs, etc).

Royal Holloway with an industrial placement in my opinion would make you the most employable out of these choices. Birmingham is probably the best university overall, but not by enough to make your transition to highly competitive industries like strategy consulting and IB any easier. If you want to go for a mainstream graduate programme outside of law, IB and some consulting firms, where you go to uni isn't going to play much of a part - but what will is the internship quality you secure as an undergrad. For that, an industrial placement will be beneficial (speaking as someone who's done an industrial placement).

Also, I'd say that with the growing importance of being quite numerate with the growth of technology and data science roles, a degree with more economics (i.e. more quantitative topics) will help you out more. Good luck with your choice.
Dms2001
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Diplomatic)
Unless you'd consider becoming an economist (where more econ focus is necessary in your degree to meet the requirements), then it's going to make very little difference which subject you choose for a career in professional services (e.g. consulting, accountancy, law, investment banking, management jobs, etc).

Royal Holloway with an industrial placement in my opinion would make you the most employable out of these choices. Birmingham is probably the best university overall, but not by enough to make your transition to highly competitive industries like strategy consulting and IB any easier. If you want to go for a mainstream graduate programme outside of law, IB and some consulting firms, where you go to uni isn't going to play much of a part - but what will is the internship quality you secure as an undergrad. For that, an industrial placement will be beneficial (speaking as someone who's done an industrial placement).

Also, I'd say that with the growing importance of being quite numerate with the growth of technology and data science roles, a degree with more economics (i.e. more quantitative topics) will help you out more. Good luck with your choice.
Thank you very much for the information. I've decided to firm Royal Holloway as the course is not bad, there seem to be decent facilities and it's quantitative (Well it's the only BSC among all my choices)
I've been trying to look into jobs I can get with an economics degree, I've run across consultancy many times but I'm unsure of it being a good career for me in the long run (I like the what the job entails but I'm hesitant as people mention competitiveness within the companies).
Are there any other lines of work you can recommend me?
Last edited by Dms2001; 1 week ago
Diplomatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dms2001)
Thank you very much for the information. I've decided to firm Royal Holloway as the course is not bad, there seem to be decent facilities and it's quantitative (Well it's the only BSC among all my choices)
I've been trying to look into jobs I can get with an economics degree, I've run across consultancy many times but I'm unsure of it being a good career for me in the long run (I like the what the job entails but I'm hesitant as people mention competitiveness within the companies).
Are there any other lines of work you can recommend me?
There are lots of consulting firms and not all of them have a reputation like that - e.g. North Highland has a very 'Google-like' culture with a pet tortoise!

A good starting point is to look at the list of companies on the last page in this document (https://www.highfliers.co.uk/downloa...lease-2019.pdf) and then check out the graduate schemes they offer on their websites. They all have jobs you'd be qualified for, but too many to list!
Dms2001
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Diplomatic)
There are lots of consulting firms and not all of them have a reputation like that - e.g. North Highland has a very 'Google-like' culture with a pet tortoise!

A good starting point is to look at the list of companies on the last page in this document (https://www.highfliers.co.uk/downloa...lease-2019.pdf) and then check out the graduate schemes they offer on their websites. They all have jobs you'd be qualified for, but too many to list!
Thank you so much for the help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (282)
33.94%
No (549)
66.06%

Watched Threads