The Student Room Group

title changed: BTECS are CANCELLED!!! (PLEASE read)

Scroll to see replies

lol why do pricks like you have to come here and chat absolute bull****. Have you ever tried to do a BTEC. I've done both and BTECs are not easier, you're just made to believe that to glorify. A levels. Try writing a few 20-30 page assignments in a month lol.
Original post by geeko123456
lol why do pricks like you have to come here and chat absolute bull****. Have you ever tried to do a BTEC. I've done both and BTECs are not easier, you're just made to believe that to glorify. A levels. Try writing a few 20-30 page assignments in a month lol.

Sorry, what are you whinging about? People were annoyed because OP came across as a lazy entitled sod.
Original post by StressedLife
You BTECs need to calm the hell down, you don’t work HALF as hard as actual A-Level students.

I can agree as an A-level student but you guys have NO work to do for the rest of the year yet you will still receive a qualification... I on the other hard as a Y12 won't get a qualification I will have to work for it fair and square just like the current BTEC students will have to work for theirs
Reply 63
For anyone that cares, please sign this :redface: http://chng.it/JgLbH8v7Kz
Original post by YasudaSayo
For anyone that cares, please sign this :redface: http://chng.it/JgLbH8v7Kz

Would that even help?

Why can't a BTEC student do their work from home?
Original post by Hazelly
Would that even help?

Because they are the true victims of this pandemic.
Reply 66
Original post by Hazelly
Would that even help?

Learning from a powerpoint isn't the same as learning from a lesson. Emailing teachers is not the same level of support that you'd get by seeing them in person. It's very demotivating that most students can relax for 6-7 months whereas we have to actually earn our grade. Parents will now have to look after their children while trying to complete the course, young people will have to do significantly more hours if they work in retail (I went from 15 to 40 hours per week!). Some units have mandatory practicals that need to be completed in order to write the assignment. There's hundreds of other reasons that I can't think of off the top of my head because they don't necessarily relate to me, but it's obvious that this whole situation is going to disadvantage anyone who does BTEC. No one is going to be able to perform as well as they would have under normal circumstances. If the government has decided to award predicted grades to everyone, this should be standardised and applied to everyone.
Reply 67
Original post by Pharyngotympanic
Because they are the true victims of this pandemic.

Not sure why you find it necessary to be so hostile. Everyone is struggling at the moment. BTEC students perhaps less so than A Level students, but we still want equal treatment :redface:
i was 'whinging' at the guy who said btec students do.half work. That's far from true.
Not sure why you find it necessary to be so hostile. Everyone is struggling at the moment. BTEC students perhaps less so than A Level students, but we still want equal treatment :redface:

Why do you want equal treatment if you are not struggling as much? Does this basically come down to you not wanting to put in the work to get the grades you deserve, and instead would rather rely on your teacher/tutor having the say on your final grade?
i was 'whinging' at the guy who said btec students do.half work. That's far from true.

Fair enough.
we will struggle. We will pretty much have to self teach the remainder of our courses, alot of which are not easy courses.
If people are writing 20-30 page assignments imagine how much learning goes into that and doing that 20 times in the year, maybe more.
we will struggle. We will pretty much have to self teach the remainder of our courses, alot of which are not easy courses.

Well you have a lot more free time now and learning to self-teach instead of being spoonfed is a like skill best learnt early.
Reply 74
Why do you want equal treatment if you are not struggling as much? Does this basically come down to you not wanting to put in the work to get the grades you deserve, and instead would rather rely on your teacher/tutor having the say on your final grade?

The fact that you asked why we want equal treatment is making me suspect that you may be a troll lol, but I'll continue to repeat myself I guess.. It's still possible for us to complete the work, but it will be significantly more difficult to do it at the same level under these new circumstances. So far I've got distinctions in every unit we've done, but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep that up now. Possible, but more difficult. The government's decision should be applied to everyone.
Well you have a lot more free time now and learning to self-teach instead of being spoonfed is a like skill best learnt early.

Alot of areas of study that i do have limited resources online and trust me my teachers hardly spoonfeed us. I could argue that Alevel students are spoonfed, as i did also do Alevels and they spoonfeed alot more. Also the course i study doesn't have correct material online for the level and criteria which are required from our work. I honestly would prefer to do the assignments, but it will be a ton more difficult.
Alot of areas of study that i do have limited resources online and trust me my teachers hardly spoonfeed us. I could argue that Alevel students are spoonfed, as i did also do Alevels and they spoonfeed alot more. Also the course i study doesn't have correct material online for the level and criteria which are required from our work. I honestly would prefer to do the assignments, but it will be a ton more difficult.

Of course A-level students are spoonfed. So are GCSE students. The fact that you will teaching yourselves and learning the art of motivating yourself is a good thing. If you don't have the right resources, be proactive and take it up with the required party.

The fact that you asked why we want equal treatment is making me suspect that you may be a troll lol, but I'll continue to repeat myself I guess.. It's still possible for us to complete the work, but it will be significantly more difficult to do it at the same level under these new circumstances. So far I've got distinctions in every unit we've done, but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep that up now. Possible, but more difficult. The government's decision should be applied to everyone.

Why will it be difficult? Because you have to motivate yourselves to do your own work? Or because you have not been given access to the resources that you need? In which case, that's something to take up with your teachers or school.

I will repeat what I said to somebody else, be grateful that you have the chance to work for the grade you deserve, not leave it in the hands of a teacher or tutor. There are plenty of A-level and GCSE students who want to be in that position. You still have things in your control. Unless of course you're one of the people predicted a higher grade than they will ever achieve, in which case, unlucky lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 77
Of course A-level students are spoonfed. So are GCSE students. The fact that you will teaching yourselves and learning the art of motivating yourself is a good thing. If you don't have the right resources, be proactive and take it up with the required party.

Why will it be difficult? Because you have to motivate yourselves to do your own work? Or because you have not been given access to the resources that you need? In which case, that's something to take up with your teachers or school.

I will repeat what I said to somebody else, be grateful that you have the chance to work for the grade you deserve, not leave it in the hands of a teacher or tutor. There are plenty of A-level and GCSE students who want to be in that position. Unless of course you're one of the people predicted a higher grade than they will ever achieve, in which case, unlucky lol.

I just wrote a paragraph to someone else about all the reasons why it's going to be more difficult under these circumstances. There are many reasons, most of which are unavoidable. Why are you so determined against us getting treated the same?
I just wrote a paragraph to someone else about all the reasons why it's going to be more difficult under these circumstances. There are many reasons, most of which are unavoidable. Why are you so determined against us getting treated the same?

Because I think you should appreciate the fact that you have the control to work towards the grade you deserve, not the grade your teacher thinks you should have. Unless you are one of those people predicted way higher than they will ever achieve, in which case, unlucky lol.
Reply 79
Because I think you should appreciate the fact that you have the control to work towards the grade you deserve, not the grade your teacher thinks you should have. Unless you are one of those people predicted way higher than they will ever achieve, in which case, unlucky lol.

Completing the course under these conditions won’t give me the grade I deserve.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending