The Student Room Group

Year 12 - A levels

Does anyone know what will happen to the year 12s ? How will universities work, UCAS, personal statements and do you think universities in 2021 will be more lenient on the grades with the year 12s currently ?

Scroll to see replies

This is exactly what I’m wondering about.
i feel like everyone has forgotten about us. we are very badly affected as well as we are missing out on a lot of year 12 content which would be impossible to catch up on in year 13.
Original post by livelyrao
This is exactly what I’m wondering about.
I am concerned as well. A levels are hard enough in that there is so much content to cover in such little time. I was planning on using year 12 to do all my extracurricular stuff, but now I can’t even go out. What to do.
I am concerned as well. A levels are hard enough in that there is so much content to cover in such little time. I was planning on using year 12 to do all my extracurricular stuff, but now I can’t even go out. What to do.

Yeah literally all my super curriculares and work experience have been canceled.How am I gonna get predicted without even doing my ap 3
I have some hope they will have some “special consideration” for us but I am not sure exactly how. So don’t lost hope, keep on going! Stay safe!
I have some hope they will have some “special consideration” for us but I am not sure exactly how. So don’t lost hope, keep on going! Stay safe!

Yeah we should as we will probably miss content
Also what happens with coursework?
same so confused. i was meant to do my As real exam for criminology in may, but now i wont so will i do my exam in september , which will be useless as then there would be no time to mark all papers and send predicted grades to uni. or will we just get a predicted grade. its so much work . so stressful
Yeah we won’t have mock grades for uni and uni visits are cancelled so I don’t know when we have to apply by
Original post by Amazing Melon
Yeah we won’t have mock grades for uni and uni visits are cancelled so I don’t know when we have to apply by

wondering the same thing. inthink they should also cancel next years exams bc when will we have time to do our mocks. then get them marked by teachers. ucas will be all over the place.
i would be very angry if we have to apply to unis with our current alps predicted grades (which is unlikely but anything could happen) as my current predicted grade is BCC but i was depending on my mocks to get atleast ABB as a kinimum so i can apply to edinburgh. but will schools closed until september i have little motivation on how i can finish the rest of the year 12 syllabus by myself without any teacher support. Also, do you think unis will lower their entry requirements?
I totally forgot that our end of year 12 predicted grades are needed for university application- how are we going to do all this?
the government has completely forgotten us as we are in as much of a risk with the year 13s. there is no way we will be able to finish the year 12 content by the start of year 13

I totally forgot that our end of year 12 predicted grades are needed for university application- how are we going to do all this
Honestly I’m y13 and I been hard enough trying to decode all the information but the one thing that has been absent is what will happen to the 10s and 12s. Seems really unfair as I know, most of my content was meant to finish until the week before the exam was scheduled and that was having a full year 12. I feel bad for all exam students rn (10s-13s). We’ve been really f*cked over by this lol
Original post by Jenlouisemcc
Honestly I’m y13 and I been hard enough trying to decode all the information but the one thing that has been absent is what will happen to the 10s and 12s. Seems really unfair as I know, most of my content was meant to finish until the week before the exam was scheduled and that was having a full year 12. I feel bad for all exam students rn (10s-13s). We’ve been really f*cked over by this lol

worst case scenario is that the current year 12 students are told to just carry on and are expected to sit our a level exams in may next year without any support
So, it won't be impossible for you to catch up and with everyone in the same boat, I recommend you use online resources to try and keep up to date with where you should be in your course. Grade boundaries will most likely be lower with everyone performing poorly in areas that should've been taught over this time. You should not be disadvantaged, many schools are running online classes if yours is not for whatever reason, use your textbooks or your online resources. Your teachers will also know where you left off and this will most likely be covered in the start of your second year or looked back on in revision sessions.
Original post by ShaunT02
So, it won't be impossible for you to catch up and with everyone in the same boat, I recommend you use online resources to try and keep up to date with where you should be in your course. Grade boundaries will most likely be lower with everyone performing poorly in areas that should've been taught over this time. You should not be disadvantaged, many schools are running online classes if yours is not for whatever reason, use your textbooks or your online resources. Your teachers will also know where you left off and this will most likely be covered in the start of your second year or looked back on in revision sessions.

but im not sure how we will apply to universities with no mock results or do our personal statements with no university open days or work experience
I’m worried too . Like I have no hospital work experience . What about the ukat and bmat exams ? Personal statements? Predicted grades ? It’s so stressful
Original post by faizahshahid
but im not sure how we will apply to universities with no mock results or do our personal statements with no university open days or work experience

Universities get sent your predicted grades, which are yes based on the end of year mocks however it will be down to your teachers to predict you new grades, possibly with mocks you've already done, if not you have plenty of time to do new mocks in the new academic year so I wouldn't worry at all. As for university open days, personally I've never been to one and I don't think writing about them in your personal statement is a good idea as it narrows it down to just one if you're talking about just the one open day and so on. As for your work experience, I would start volunteering, I can't find specifically the list my college sent out but if you start doing tasks for vulnerable people maybe your grandparents or someone else you know you might find it advantageous to write about this. These are confusing times and everyone understands that so universities will forgive you for not having work experience to fall back on, if you really really want some I'd recommend trying to squeeze some in when we return to college next year, you have longer than you might think to finish your application.
i applied to volunteer at many charities today so hopefully i hear back from them. we havent even got a chance on how to structure our personal statement so i will have to depend on how people on youtube have structured theirs

Original post by ShaunT02
Universities get sent your predicted grades, which are yes based on the end of year mocks however it will be down to your teachers to predict you new grades, possibly with mocks you've already done, if not you have plenty of time to do new mocks in the new academic year so I wouldn't worry at all. As for university open days, personally I've never been to one and I don't think writing about them in your personal statement is a good idea as it narrows it down to just one if you're talking about just the one open day and so on. As for your work experience, I would start volunteering, I can't find specifically the list my college sent out but if you start doing tasks for vulnerable people maybe your grandparents or someone else you know you might find it advantageous to write about this. These are confusing times and everyone understands that so universities will forgive you for not having work experience to fall back on, if you really really want some I'd recommend trying to squeeze some in when we return to college next year, you have longer than you might think to finish your applici applie

Quick Reply

Latest